Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Discussion of Baron Lytton challenge :^)

Author Topic: Discussion of Baron Lytton challenge :^)
Nathaniel Merrin
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Nathaniel Merrin   Email Nathaniel Merrin         Edit/Delete Post 
The famous opening that the right Hon Lord Lytton himself wrote was----

###

From the Novel: "Paul Clifford". (Publ. 1830).

"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents--except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness."

###

What follows is an example of what would likely be a winning entry for this exacting contest: a recent year's ACTUAL triumph in the International Version of the same!

###

"Theirs was a New York love, a checkered taxi ride burning rubber, and like the city their passion was open 24/7, steam rising from their bodies like slick streets exhaling warm, moist, white breath through manhole covers stamped 'Forged by DeLaney Bros., Piscataway, N.J.' "

###

What I'm looking for is not full-on parody so much as something that would work in a 19th-century context as well as a free-form, contemporary one. So here is the challenge. Mimic pre-turn of the LAST century's flowery prosody within a 35-70 word run-on sentence, with the resulting construction still----as we say----"HOOKin'."

If there are enough entries, we'll vote for the top three, per usual. Contest ends one week from today, Monday.

[This message has been edited by Nathaniel Merrin (edited February 14, 2010).]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Who says "HOOKin'"?
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathaniel Merrin
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Nathaniel Merrin   Email Nathaniel Merrin         Edit/Delete Post 
aspirit, yes I screwed up with my diction in that word, sorry.

What this excercise entails is to develop a sense of legitimately contemporary art prose, with still a tip of the hat, which can be ironic, to the masters of it of the 19th C.

###

MORE INFO

A useful resource is here. (It's sorta a university handout.)--> http://www.cwu.edu/~writingcenter/resources/handouts/new_imagery.pdf Note that in its right column, Barbara Kingsolver's line is shown to be ornamented with adjectives and adverbs that pass muster with editors nowadays whereas within its left column Syliva Shriner shows how Bulwer-Lytton's concern with rythm and cadence would never make it past the sharp quills of Mssrs. Strunk or White of "Modernity." (For example, in the above line I was about to write "rhythmic cadence," for reasons of the phrase's iambic flow, adjoining of its c-sounds and echo to the phrase's meaning, but stylists today would simply consider such a construction redundant.)

[This message has been edited by Nathaniel Merrin (edited February 15, 2010).]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.