Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » An idea for a challenge

Author Topic: An idea for a challenge
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an idea, but I'm not sure it's acceptable. If it is I'll create a new thread with the rules/specifics.
Meanwhile here is where I'll ask if it's OK to proceed.

It is: Write the back of your own book. (Blurb)

The idea behind this challenge is to get you to look at your story a different way; from a sales point of view. Perhaps it will inspire you to come up with a new idea that could spur you into future pages.

The back of the book isn't a synopsis, nor a plot summary, it's four or five paragraphs which speak to the person standing in the store with money in their pocket trying to decide if yours is the book they will take home.

Anyway, let me know if this hasn't been done before or recently and I'll post the scoring system.

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited March 22, 2010).]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
A blurb-story challenge? like write a blurb - vote on blurb - then write a story based on blurb - and vote on top-3 & best-1st-13 & best-title & best-blurb-story-duo?

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
No offence, but I'll get into the whole blurb deal when (if) I get a book deal. Until then I need prose practice--that and trying to stand out against a crowd, because that is what makes a winning story (winning=getting published somewhere).

It sounds fun, but not beneficial for me, because writing a blurb is a different skill.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited March 22, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Blurb.
That's one of those words that if you keep saying it, it starts to lose its meaning.

I was thinking just the blurb, no 13's or anything.

The idea is we'd vote for how much we'd pay for the book based on the blurb, the scale is $5 - $10. This way each blurb gets some money. The one with the most money wins.

I was also thinking it would be for something you're already working on/finished, but if you come up with a blurb that turns into a story, even better.

Skadder: From what I understand, authors don't write their own blurbs.
The idea is to look at your story from another angle and maybe something shakes loose.
I see what you're saying, but it's like only doing squat thrusts to work your quads when you can also run. Different skill, same result - you get stronger.

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited March 22, 2010).]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the publishers have people who write the blurbs for the backs of books--which is why, every so often, you might hear an author ranting and raving about how the blurb included spoilers that made it so people would be less likely to buy the book. (Any excuse in a pinch, I guess.)

Blurb writing could be considered a step toward query letters, though, so it could be a worthwhile exercise.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...I was thinking of it in relation to query writing--I was aware blurbs and covers are done by publishers.

I have never written a novel...

When I enter a contest I end up checking the internet too much, so I have to pick and choose what I do and don't enter...I have to complete a piece of university work, so I will bow out of this one.

It sounds fun.... I didn't mean to put anyone else off.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited March 22, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be good to call this a query letter contest. The voting could be done as agents, rejection or ask for a partial. With limits on how many partials you can ask for.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

MAP,
That does sound like a good challenge, however, I want to keep this one light. Writing a query is a daunting task in itself.

I'll give this a go.
Worst thing that happens is I'm the only one that enters.
Well, that's not too bad I guess - I'd win.

Axe

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.