Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » The "Inhuman Challenge" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The "Inhuman Challenge"
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"But the stories must be strong and realistic, with believable people (who needn't be human) doing believable things–no matter how fantastic the background might be." – Analog SF submission guidelines

Yes, my friends, the title of this challenge is a pun (I couldn't help myself).

The task is to write a story where the POV character is not a human being. Be it holy angel or hot alien, house pet or house plant--as long as the character is not Homo sapiens consider the challenge criterion met. That being said, the less humanoid your character, the better you may fare in the judging. Hopefully this will prove to be a delightful departure rather than a *brutal undertaking*.

Details:

This will be an anonymous challenge with rules very much like those of the contest snapper facilitated this fall. All entries are to be sent to me at: laura.lee.ford@hotmail.ca.

Deadline for entries: 31 January 2011

One entry per author.

Word count: 1- 2500 words.

I will assign each story a number and post the first 13's in the ENTRIES thread as soon as a few enties come in. Please do not post anything in the ENTRIES thread until judging is complete.

Judging:

Round 1: First 13's
- Each author is to pick their 1st and 2nd favourite opening and send their votes to me
- 2 points to each 1st place vote, 1 point to each second place vote
- No critiques required for this round
- Deadline for this vote: 7 February 2011

Round 2: Full story
- After Round 1 judging is complete I will email full stories out to entrants
- Read and provide a brief critique for each story. Choose your 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite. Send critiques and votes to me.
- When judging please take not-human-ness of the POV character into account
- 5 points to each 1st place vote, 4 points for 2nd place vote, 3 points for 3rd.
- Deadline for this vote: 28 February 2011, but the sooner the better!

If there are a large number of entries I will split Round 2 voting into groups to keep the reading/critiquing load manageable. If that happens there will be a final vote between the top stories in each group.

As usual any entrant who doesn't vote and critique will be disqualified.

To maintain anonymity please do not post your story in F&F. This will also disqualify you.

Any questions? Feel free to post them in this thread.

[This message has been edited by Ethereon (edited December 21, 2010).]

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
No one has taken this challenge but I just recalled I have a inhuman story. It's about an angel. Rather short and I have revised it twice...maybe thrice. I keep forgetting about it though.

A nice Christmas story I wrote three months or so ago.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Just caught this challenge. A question or two...

Must the POV be consistently non-human? Can there be more than one POV? Can the plot be centered around the non-human part of the story with a perspective or two done from a person?

Is there a definition on 'human'? Such as the MC was human once and is now partially or totally something else?

A lot of time to think of something for this challenge....

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, sorry. I am definitely interested in taking up the gauntlet on this one. I have a couple of unused muscles I could flex to work on it.

Count me in.

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I could use a marker for what is considered 'human' as well, (snapper). Also, is this open to SF and Fantasy? I am definitely interested is joining this group.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

@Snapper: If you can work more than one POV into the story and some of them are human, no problem. I haven't included a definition of what constitutes "human" vs "non-human" because that is very tricky to define! In fact, exploring that question is the meat of many existing and potential stories.

If your character was once a human and has since become a ghost, vampire, AI, or whatever else you can think of, I believe such a story would work for this challenge. However, I imagine the more substantial the differences (mental and emotional, not just physical) between our POV characters and humans, the more we might push ourselves by the exercise.

@PB&Jenny: Awesome. Glad to have you aboard!

@DRaney: Glad to hear you're interested in entering. There are no genre restrictions. Speculate it up!

[This message has been edited by Ethereon (edited December 28, 2010).]

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think that makes five of us now. So that might be a good number for a challenge.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget. I'll be submitting as Smiley from now on.

signed,
the writer previously known as
PB&Jenny

[This message has been edited by Smiley (edited January 18, 2011).]

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I wish I'd seen this earlier.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Not too late, Ute. A good week plus yet and Ether may be willing to extend it if you need a little bit of time.

How is it coming along Eth? Any entries? I have one I could subit but have another idea I am toying wirh.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

I would not object to an extendomatic if it would allow Utahute72 time to submit...fyi.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Hey All

The first couple of entries are up in the entries thread!

Utahute72, the more the merrier, right? So let me know if you need a little more time as we approach the deadline.

Hey Snapper, love it if you'd join the fun.

Thanks for the fyi DRaney.

Smiley
Member # 9379

So I should be sending you the first 13 of my story to you, right, Etherion? I'll get that out to you right away.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I thought we were to send the whole thing and Ethereon would post just the first 13 lines for the first judging,

Ethereon
Member # 9133

Yes LD, please send me your whole story, and I will post the first 13. Smiley did send me his first 13(ish), but assures me the rest is on its way shortly
Smiley
Member # 9379

Oops, guess I got that wrong. Yup, I'll be sending you the whole thing this weekend. Busy with my visiting in-laws for the next three days. Fun!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Are people sending in their votes?

Or should we wait and see if there are anymore openings added on.

Ethereon
Member # 9133

Not quite yet, LD. The deadline for entry is 31 Jan, so who knows, there may be more entries.

Also, if we get to the deadline and someone (Utahute?) is not quite finished, we might extend the deadline if everyone seems amenable to that.

So, Utahute and anyone else, if you are still interested in entering please shoot me an email!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay...fine with me.

I just wanted to make sure especially since some around seem to like to jump the gun.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

You have mail Ethereon.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

You're in Ute? Great! I wonder which one of the first seven will be yours.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 30, 2011).]

Ethereon
Member # 9133

Got your email Ute.
Ah yes, you raise a good point snapper. Whether Utahute will enjoy anonymity depends entirely on whether there are any other last minute entries. We'll see what tomorrow brings I suppose.

snapper
Member # 7299

Not to worry. This is just a friendly competition. After all you only promised $4000 for the winning the entry. The really value is the priceless feedback from this exersize.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 31, 2011).]

Smiley
Member # 9379

Wait, what?
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Ha! Don't we all wish eh?
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Thank you for your entries everyone! Now it's time to vote!

Send your 1st and 2nd place votes for first 13 to me via email. Please note, entry 7 is no longer in the running.

Also, there is no need to provide comments at this stage.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey, I vote mine for number one.

At least I know how many votes I get,

Seriously, if we don't vote for ours and number seven is out already than we have seven to choose from. Not too bad.

Hmm, I may have misspoke about it being not too bad. I have three tied for number one. Go back and reread,

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited February 02, 2011).]

DRaney
unregistered

Good 13's! I am amazed at the endless variety of story ideas that come out of this group. Looking forward to the full read phase! Peace.
snapper
Member # 7299

I agree, they were all very strong openings. So not to dwell on them, I chose the first two that hit me. If I really did a full analysis I would be still mulling over which ones to pick.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited February 03, 2011).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

As I hinted at before I have the same sentiment as snapper. Except there were one or two that were easy to reject for One. But than Two was almost as hard to choose.

A Three or Four place would have made it slightly easier.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

I liked them all, was able to narrow it down to 5, then the one getting DQ'd got me down to four. From there is was just a matter of personal appeal as to what the story portended. But it looks like a good group to read anyway.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Just one more person yet to vote, then full stories will go out!

The combined length of all 8 is ~12 500 words. I'd like to send it out to everyone rather than split into two groups. Sound good?

DRaney
unregistered

Sounds good to me, all 8...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Sounds good to me too.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

If the stories are as good as the first 13s I probably won't be able to put them down until I'm done.
snapper
Member # 7299

I agree, one bunch. I look forward to them all.
Smiley
Member # 9379

I'm game.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Round one voting is complete!
Many stories received votes, but Entry 9 has the lead with 5 points. Nice job

On to round two: a document containing all 8 stories should be in your respective inboxes. Please let me know if you didn't receive it, if you have trouble openning it, or if there's any problem with your story.

Send your critiques and votes for your 3 favourites to me via email, and I will start posting the comments when I have received a number of them.

Happy reading!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

the other day when an old story of mine came to mind (that happens at times) and I realized I had another story about a pair of Inhumans, a bit more exciting and provocative than the one I sent in, but I believe it's too long anyway.

The one I didn't send in was inspired by an ad I saw while standing in a grocery line. It was a phrase used by a certain company for a few months.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited February 09, 2011).]

Ethereon
Member # 9133

Hey LD, I'm glad the challenge has gotten you thinking of lots of "inhuman" storylines.

Since this is ideally an anonymous contest, could you send comments on stories to me rather than posting them? That way it won't be quite as easy to guess who wrote what.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, I forgot that detail even though it's probably too late, most people have read it I will delete the comment: I didn't mean it was bad

Ethereon
Member # 9133

No worries, just a reminder.
DRaney
unregistered

Read'em all... pretty darn cool stuff. On to the crit'n...
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

I missed entering this one, but I’m interested in reading the entries. Is that allowed?

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Hi Josephine.
When the challenge is finished I will reveal who wrote what with the results. Then you could contact the authors of the stories you're intrigued by and ask about having a read. Perhaps they would be interested in getting a critique from you on their second draft, or in doing an exchange.

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. When is the big reveal?
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Oh let her read them, Etherton. I see no harm and I'm tickled pink she would want too. Hell, I'd let her vote if she wanted too.

I've read only a few but I am impressed and entertained so far. This may be the best collection a challenge has produced yet.

Ethereon
Member # 9133

Yeah, I wouldn't mind personally either, snapper, but I wouldn't want to send out an author's work without their permission, that's all. If other people let me know they don't mind, then I can send the story package to Josephine.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind personally either, snapper, but I wouldn't want to send out an author's work without their permission, that's all. If other people let me know they don't mind, then I can send the story package to Josephine.

Not sure if you mean this way or E-mail but I wouldn't mind her reading it and critting.

snapper
Member # 7299

I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem. Hatrack is a writers workshop. We seek feedback for our unpublished stuff so it can be published. Unless JK is a thief I see no harm at all. This is your contest though. I can understand your hesitation but I think you are worrying about nothing. I am reasonably confident, based on who regularly participates in these competitions, that all teh authors would love for JK to have a look.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited February 12, 2011).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.