Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Pairs... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pairs...
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about this process is I learn both from being critiqued and critiquing. Thanks guys, I love the comments.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes come across as much colder than I really intend to. These days, I have limited time or access to the laptop and internet, so what I observe is stated as quickly as I can. I generally try to qualify everything with a "to me" or "for me," thus indicating it's only ONE opinion, and not guaranteed to the the RIGHT opinion. Those of us who've been here a while have grown a tougher skin--believe me, it took me a WHILE.

As for omniscient: I like omniscient. I read it in new books from Bernard Cornwell, Robert Low, Conn Iggulden, Robyn Young, Kevin J. Anderson, etc. David Gemmell was one of my absolute favorite writers (and one of the only ones who I have read every single book he's written), and he ONLY used 3rd Person Omniscient. If used well, it can make for a quick, informative read.

AS for Dune: it's the best selling science fiction epic of all time. I think it's fine the way it is. Those who didn't enjoy it, wouldn't have with any changes.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 12, 2011).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those of us who've been here a while had grown a tougher skin

Even if I don't agree with what's being said, it is, after all, the opinion of someone I'm attempting to win over as a reader. I have no delusions about winning over absolutely everyone who can read, but every outside thought gives me insight as to how others perceive my writing, and such insights are valuable to me. As far as my realization goes, the only thing my thick skin and honest approach has not really defended me against is when a reviewer decides to rewrite portions of my story for me; others might find that valuable feedback, but that tends to annoy me.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

- posted      Profile for Corin224   Email Corin224         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the re-writing the story thing is never cool, as much as I get the impulse to do it to people. Not how good critique is given.

For me, the most valuable thing I picked up from OSC was that there's only really 3 comments your readers should give, that you absolutely may not argue with. I don't remember exactly, but it's something along the lines of:

Huh? - Translation: I don't understand this part of your story.
Yeah right. - Translation: I don't believe this part of your story.
Who cares? - Translation: I don't care about this part of your story.

Anything beyond that may or may not be useful, but if your reader is confused, disbelieving, or bored, you don't get to argue with them about it, and they ARE ALWAYS RIGHT. Feel free to second guess their reasons for WHY they are confused, bored or disbelieving, and you're also free to NOT CARE! Sometimes you're just not trying to get certain people to like your story; They're not your audience.

Good readers are the ones who remember it's their PERSPECTIVE that's valuable, not necessarily their advice.

For me, the valuable part of this is not the "why" people are telling me, though it CAN be valuable. For example, the "the whole intro felt rushed" . . . that may be, but if I'm TRYING to do that, I'm doing things perfectly. The real message under that is "who cares?". Rushed or not, somehow, I didn't make that reader care about my into. PERHAPS they're right about it being rushed, but maybe not. (in this case, I think they are) Either way, it's my job to be a good enough writer to fix the problem.

At least for me, this is the part of the process I've gotten rusty at, and it's good to get back into practice. And honestly, it's an awful lot of fun.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

- posted      Profile for Corin224   Email Corin224         Edit/Delete Post 
So . . . possibly premature of me but . . .

Is that a congrats to skadder?!

It's pretty close between him and sjsampson!

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mc1ate1mad1cow
Member # 9478

- posted      Profile for mc1ate1mad1cow   Email mc1ate1mad1cow         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrate Skadder, Sjsampson and InarticulateBabbler!!!

Let's see if any of you'll even come close to winning the next one.
Ha!

Just kiddddding people.
Very well deserved is all I'll say.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Skadder, Sjsampson and IB. Well done.

There were some excellent openings, and a lot of interest in the challenge.

Also congratulations to Crank for that winning title. It really added to the implied promise of the story.

Thanks skadder for running this. And to snapper, for keeping us entertained. Next time skadder will be a little reticent to let you take over, I suspect, because you keep forgetting to delete his paragraphs.

[This message has been edited by Brendan (edited April 12, 2011).]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Another good challenge!

Thanks skadder/snapper

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks from me, and congratulations to Skadder and Sjsampson. Both are stories I'd love to finish reading.

As for my part, I'm very happy with the feedback. I knew getting dark would have a cost, and those who were repulsed were even so because I'd achieved what I had set out to.

I did think it strange how many were drawn to write the Hunter/Hunted instead of Day and Night or Fire and Ice. I'd like to see a challenge like this where the genre is determined, and each writer would have to step out of his or her comfort zone. And I'd like to see hooks to actual short stories. I'd also like to see those stories submitted. Then the contest winners would be obvious...

Hmmm. I think I might have to put one of these together...

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
COngrats all!
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks skadder and snapper for organizing the contest. Congrats to skadder and IB. I had fun reading all of the different entries, and I feel like I learned a lot from this.
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone but you have no reason to thank me. This was all skadders doing. All I did was paste a couple of emails onto a post. I'm not sure I could screw that up if I tried.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 14, 2011).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me add my thanks to both Skadder and Snapper for doing this.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx to skadders for hosting this contest. Thanx to everyone for the Best Title votes. And, of course, thanx for all the critiques.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to finish that story and send it out to another type of contest...!

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
This was great fun, we'll have to do it again soon.
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mc1ate1mad1cow
Member # 9478

- posted      Profile for mc1ate1mad1cow   Email mc1ate1mad1cow         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm can we do it right now, lovers?

We just need to push a particularly compliant person...

(Hoping that the particularly compliant person hasn't read the above lines)So who's willing to give some odd 10 hours of their time? Come on, come forward.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an idea that I'd love to use for one of these. I'll get it set up in the next day or so.
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twiggy
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Twiggy   Email Twiggy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Snapper for helping out and giving me a good laugh, thanks to Skadder for running the comp, and thanks to everyone for the crits.
Great fun.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the land of the internet--phew!

Thanks everyone.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.