Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Hold me

Author Topic: Hold me
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scared, y'all.

Anyone not somewhere in the south eastern quadrant of the United States, keep us in your thoughts.

Gustav is a'comin and he looks fierce. We're pulling an all-nighter to see if we nned to grab the kids and run! Because today is the 3 year anniversary of Katrina, everyone is wrecked with worry.

Y'all pray for the hurricaine to shift and hit somewhere in the middle east.

thank-you,
Rach

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Please move your family to somewhere safe. My husband has good instincts with hurricane predictions, and after showing him where you live, he's worried for you. We're less worried about his parents, vacationing in the Florida panhandle, because they are experienced with hurricane prevention and survival.

I was expecting a nasty hurricane season this year. Fall through Spring were freakishly pleasant seasons--a bad sign in the South.

Rachel, you're definitely in my thoughts.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's what we are going to be doing... we're about 15 min from the al/fl state line, but we live under a canopy of those huge, mossy southern oaks... we're probably going to take the kids and go south of Egland AFB
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Board-up (or shutter-up) and get out - I hope you're not in too severe of a flood plain.

Good Luck - you're in our thoughts!

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, been there, done that. I usually ride them out right where I am, foolhardy or not. The worst right 'round here was Charley, and even with that the center passed no more than thirty miles away. (I rode out Fay, the last one---see the "Rock Me Like a Hurricane" post---but that one was no Gustav.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone in New Orleans should be long gone. The NHC forecasters, by their own admission, are completely "without skill" predicting hurricane intensity. Gustave could change from cat 1 to 5, or 5 to 1 in a day in the weird waters of the Gulf of Mexico with its long-lasting warm loop currents.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
True the above, and I spent some time yesterday cursing myself for not bringing it up in my post above that. Even a Cat 1 hurricane isn't to be taken lightly, if you live directly on the water or anywhere more than a few feet above sea level. (Though I live near a large estuary / river, my foundation is about twenty-five feet above sea level, so I'm willing to chance it.)

Reagansgame, if your're in that kind of area (you list Summerville, Alabama in your profile, but I don't know where that is), and still on the line reading this, if this fits, get out.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

I ran like a little girl. I live in Summerdale -- Near Gulf Shores. Right now, my dad is there because my grandmother is there and they're hardcore. They stayed during Fredrick and Camille and so on... Veterens. I'd stay myself it it was just me because its always so exciting. I mean, I used to do rapeling and my hubby paid to fall out of planes -- we like fantastic adventure! But, with the babies thats not a risk we're willing to take. Anyways, they say our house is fine and tree-limb free.

We're in TN on a mini-vacay. Not, you know, paddling our house down stream. No worries!

No word from MS yet, anyone know what its like there? At the NASA place near Slidell, LA or at Keesler AFB? There are Ternados roughing up our county, still, so we're not going to be going back until tomorrow eve. We can't get anyone on the phone and I'm bootlegging internet now trying to find out.

Hey, y'all want to hear something cool- kinda make you proud to be an American? I-65 N was an evacuation route and it was a parking lot on the interstate. There were all of these people with bedsheet banners up on the overpasses waving and all. The banners were along the lines of 'God Bless The Evacuees' and 'Our hearts are with y'all', etc. There were lists of people's names and numbers at gas stations for people needing a place to stay and who didn't have money. I don't know... I always get misty when I think how cool our country is when part of it is facing crisis.

Keep MS and LA in your thoughts... Those folks are getting screwed over by the hurricanes.

[This message has been edited by Reagansgame (edited September 01, 2008).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.