Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » The 2008 Hatrack Awards

Author Topic: The 2008 Hatrack Awards
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to honor the writers that have gone above and beyond for the year. I would like to nominate a few colleagues for their efforts and purpose that anyone else that would like to nominate a colleague or offer a catagory to please do so.
I believe we should name our awards after the founder of Hatrack. Welcome to the very first Orson's! Now for my nominations.

Best story offered for critique

Metal Fatigue by Skadder

A cute, humorous flash fiction about a discarded robot that gets to spend his last moments with his owner in a garden shed.

Hatracker of the Year

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

A man in uniform that did his best to stay in contact with us, offered to help his fellow writer, went above and beyond on helping another hatracker that was down and out, and did it all while serving his country. I salute you, sir.

Most inspiring Hatracker

Talespinner

No one does more to get others to write. He spends an awful lot of time adminstering cool contest in the Writing Challenges section, does tons of crits in the F & F section, and does his best to make sure everyone gets a story reviewed in his challenges. More stories were written because of his efforts.

Writer of the Year

Annepin

A case could be made for at least a dozen writers for this award. However, it took a little encouraging from at least one writer that her stories were good enough to submit for publication. Her first attempt earned her a Semi-finalist honor in the WOTF contest. Her second earned her a sale. Nice work!

A thanks to all that took the time to join in the fun at hatrack. We all share the same dream. Lets hope that more of us reach our goals this year.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate rstegman for Most Inspiring Hatracker, because of his consistent and regular efforts to make us ask ourselves whether or not we've written.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I also nominate philocinemas for Most Fun to Play Chess With.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
*Bows*

Well, thank you. While graciously accepting this award, I would like to point out that said story has yet to sell...Bummer.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry if I've overlooked anyone else, but how about monstewer for most published. It seems like about once a week, we're congratulating him for selling something. Sometimes it's the same story over and over again.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Would that be another catagory, Philo, or another nomination for Writer of the Year for Monstewer?

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 15, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, what Talespinner does is very different in my eyes. He is very prolific in his writing, but he is also very proactive in helping other Hatrackers by running all these contests and critiquing so many stories. Call each category whatever you will, but I think they're very different in how they contribute to this forum.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I just saw that I read the categories wrong. Annepin was nominated for writer of the year. I don't know snapper, I really hate actually voting on things like this - everyone deserves recognition without it being deminished by there being a "winner" or "loser". Why not just make it a new category.

Edited to add: I think the OSCARS, and especially the Golden Globes, get overzealous in their categories, i.e. sound and sound effects editing (and other similar categories), but those awards are more for prestige, not recognition.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited January 15, 2009).]

monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Philocinemas for mentioning me, but I think my year end stats pale in comparison to tchern

If you were going to give awards though, I think there should be one for most helpful critter --the one who really delves into a story and takes the time to give the most help they can. A couple of my nominations would be CL Lynn and Annepin.

[This message has been edited by monstewer (edited January 15, 2009).]

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Before this love-fest turns into shameless pimping for one candidate over another...let me suggest that the aim of the original poster was to recognize contributors whom he feels have gone above and beyond for the year.

Everyone else is free to add.

Let's not vote. Instead let's just keep cheering on those who have made a big difference in our writing lives or people we feel deserve recognition for hard work or otherwise.

I agree w/all previous recognitions, and want to add additional weight to the recognition of rstegman for the "Did you write this week?" thread. Many weeks I have intentionally avoided responding to the thread until I have actually written. It has been a great inspiration to me, so thank you rstegman!

Keep the love alive, folks!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

You got it correct, KayTi.

This is more of a recognition thread, not necessarily a competition. Everyone that has been mention deserves to be honored. So my hat is off to you.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

My apologies, tchernabyelo, I hadn't been keeping up with the totals. Fifteen, that's fantastic! Congrats.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to add to rstegman's recognition. I wouldn't look over my previous week's work and update my spreasheet if not for "Did You Write?" He helps me stay organized.

I also what to nominate Kathleen Dalton Woodbury as Best Moderator. Who knows what the treehouse would be like without her?

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, aspirit. I have a lot of great people to work with, and I really appreciate all of you.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh golly gosh <blush>

There are so many Hatrackers whose contributions I look forward to. If I had to nominate some award winners and sum them up in a word, I'd say ...

annepin -- insight
extrinsic -- knowledge
IB -- fun
kathleen -- wisdom
KayTi -- analysis
skadder -- focus
snapper -- energy

And, all those who learn and improve.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to nominate InarticulateBabbler after he ran for President to try and keep the lizards out of the white house. he is more Patriotic than I, I think then again I was his running mate.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I second that...

Most patriotic hatracker: InarticulateBabbler, for his valiant, yet unsuccessful, attempt at keeping the lizards out of the White House.

and add... Rommel Fenrir Wolf II for being the best running mate he didn't ask for.

would anyone like to nominate their campaign manager? anyone, really. His intials are, PJ. No? I'm not surprised.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to nominate Patrick James for making me LOL almost everytime I log on here.

Funny, funny dude.

Here's a trophey.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

No you do not get a nomination for campaign manager, Pat. Jam.

You never registered, fund raised, petitioned drived, or even check if your candidates were US citizens.

Bad campaign manager, bad.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Here Here!

Don't be modest though Snapper. You deserve a title among those honored as do many others, but yes, I am super proud of Anne. I just ordered Polluto Issue 4 because I saw her name in lights.

There are almost too many to mention here.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
ok its setteled, starting in 2011 InarticulateBabbler for Presidnet 2012 Rommel Fenrir Wolf II as VP, and Patrick James is going to be campaign manager, with many other offices yet to be filled by fellow Hatrackers.

Let The Truth Be Known of ALL Things our Goverment is hideing from us.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
dibs on media exposure!

yays!

oh, and I would like to nominate one of our old posters: Survivor, for being the most awesome guy Ive come across.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.