Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 23)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not one person is going call Natej11 on his "global warming nuts" comment? I think that is very interesting.

Well, I thought about doing that, but this is the random musings topic, after all, and as long as he doesn't get any closer to politics than that, I think I can allow it. Especially if other people respond calmly to such comments.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
In the spirit of randomness...

As I prepare for the forthcoming one-year anniversary of my breaking my ribs by coughing too much (stop laughing), I have acquired yet another persistent and bizarrely sourceless cough.

Whoopee.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Hay Natej11 you don’t want to go into Politics here. Trust me I know from experience. I almost got the boot. Then I saw the light and stopped caring about politics and became blind to them. Except for the InarticulateBabbler for president 2008 last year. That was the only tolerated politics I remember.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the global warming scam is politics---a core group wanting to get their hands on the reins of power, followed by a large band of useful idiots who support them and do their bidding. The goal isn't the end---stopping global warming---but the means---getting power.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, hey, lets not get political. We aren't here to argue about conspiracies, we're here to make fun of them.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's politics, please don't discuss it, even here.

Thanks.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I voted for IB and he still hasn't bought me a Benltey!

Burn Global Warming, I want to talk about cake or something light and fluffy possibly chocolate flavored on it that I can eat and will make me happy. Actually I like my cake rather heavy, and I like to eat the frosting last, I dig from the bottom.

Tien doje klemine opa defrentied colop breil estoc.

Set decoder rings to Defenestration.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Call me strange, but I don't even like the frosting. I eat the cake and throw the frosting out. Especially if it's a store bought cake.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet cake somehow contributes to global warming.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
As this is a forum and cake is being discussed, I feel it my duty to say:

pie > cake.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Natej11, I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, but what you said is really stupid. Clearly, cake is better than pie.

I mean, sure by some convoluted comparison, pie might win. If you take stawberry-rhubarb pie (delicious) and compare it with funfetti cake (not that great), then of course the pie wins. But there is no pie that can even come close to beating chocolate cake (except maybe banana cream pie, but that just comes close, then fails miserably).

So, in conclusion, I have proven that cake is better.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Natej11 on this one - pie comes in more variations than cake and, in my opinion, has more flavor. Cake is basically one of only a few flavors of bread enhanced with different types of icing. Pie clearly wins in diversity and mixes better with ice cream.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
Would cheesecake be considered a cake or a pie? Or both?

I have decided that since cheesecake is both a cake and a pie, it is therefore better than any cake or pie.

Cheesecake wins, hands down.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, cheesecake rules. However cake, on a whole, is better than pie. It takes whipcream to improve a pie, no such sweeting additions are necessary for cake.

Unless you count Ice Cream, but ice cream makes pie better to, so that is a wash.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

I find it interesting that no one seems to have mentioned the difficulty of making a cake vs. a pie yet. Also, there is the age-old question of whether it's more yummy to lick the batter off your beaters, or eat the bits of dough after you've shaped your pie crust.

These are very important things that must be taken into account, during any discussion of cake vs. pie.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote….Call me strange, but I don't even like the frosting. I eat the cake and throw the frosting out. Especially if it's a store bought cake….end quote

A witch! A witch! A witch! We've got a witch! A witch!
We have found a witch, might we burn her?
Burn her! Burn!

In my opinion the frosting is the best part, even though it gives me a bad sugar high and headache. That’s is just the fun of cakes.

As to what is better cake or pie, I don’t think it maters. I am 50.50 on it even though I think the GODS eat pie for every meal, and cake for desert, then chase it down with a large glass of human blood.

Anyway I thought of the funniest thing, I should show up to battalion formation wearing Roman armor. Here is the link.

http://www.armorvenue.com/roman-armor/roman-trooper-costume/

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Normally, I would say that cake wins, but we must consider that one of my favorite foods, pizza, is technically a pie.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

I just came from my mother-in-law's birthday party where we had a shockingly delicious cheesecake. I don't know if it counts as cake or pie either (although cake is in the name, which is at the very least strong evidence in that direction), but whichever one it is, that one wins. This cheesecake...holy crap. Delicious. I was literally shocked by the good taste.

Jerry's Cheesecake. If you're ever in the Cincinnatti area, look it up.

Natej11
Member # 8547

Ah ha! Wetwilly, who's stupid now? Cheesecake may have cake in the name, yet it is a pie crust full of cream cheese topped with fruit. All elements of pie.

Therefore pizza pie + cheesepie + pie pie = cake loses.

Also you're a doodoo head.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

I humbly admit my defeat. You're a hearty foe well met, Natej11. You have destroyed my honor and the honor of my family name. I bow to your superior intellect and your dedication to truth and right.

I should warn you, I've seen movies and read books before, and these sort of things usually end up with one of my offspring tracking you down to seek vengeance. I currently only have one daughter, and she is not yet 1, so you have a while, but be warned.

Wait...is it possible that cheesecake defeats all challengers because it is a hybrid of pie and cake? Like the daywalker of confectionaries?

BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, my name is BenM and I live in a country where eating meat pies is a national pastime.

So far the pathetic attempts by culinary artists to counter this monopoly with the advent of a "meat cake" have been full of fail. For the average red blooded Aussie (both blokes & sheilas) this makes the whole argument a bit of a moot point.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

No worries mate, (I think that is how its said, haven’t been to Australia this life time …yet.)

I think meat pies is one of the best inventions humans ever came up with. One question though.

Have you ever tried human pie? It is rather delicious, man in 3 months and 4 days it will be 5 years since I last ate human.

And I take it no one liked the roman armor to a battalion formation idea.

RFW2nd

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

PS: I am suffering from insomnia I haven’t slept in 2.5 days and cant for some reason even though I have taken my sleeping pills.

RFW2nd

Natej11
Member # 8547

Meat pies are yet another addition to the pies are great front. Cake is losing ground!

Also I've found that second generation revenge usually ends up with the young person finding that the old person is so old and tired and haunted by guilt that they pity them rather than killing them. Then the old person shows an unexpected cruel streak and does something underhanded that almost wins him the victory, but his own evil backfires and hits him by mistake.

Oh noes! I'm doomed to fail!

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Nate,

Are you familiar with Occam's Razor? The principle is simple, if there are competing explanations for something the simpler one (the one that requires the shortest/easiest chain of events to have happen) is the more likely to be correct.

If the Bush Administration can kill 3,000 Americans and keep it hush hush why couldn't Nixon keep the lid on Watergate? The chain of events required to pull that off, the people who'd need to be extorted, the people who'd need to be manipulated and killed, the massive teams of people involved in pulling off something of this scale ... I'm thinking the odds of it falling apart are pretty incredibly high.

From the view of a mathematician, if you're intent on believing 9/11 wasn't caused by terrorists, then you're better off going with aliens than "the government", in terms of probability.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Mathematicians once said the flight of a bee is impossible.

2) Now I live in fear that my husband will learn of meat cakes and make one for a party. *shudders*

3) Wolf, if you showed up in Roman armor, wouldn't you be ordered to spend more time with a shrink? It looks like a good price for the package, though...

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
No one has yet mentioned mousse or bread pudding. Both far surpass cake and pie (provided no raisins are involved; they ruin everything). Cake with a middle layer of mousse is way better than any ordinary cake. Warm bread pudding from Golden Corral is so good I feel happy and relaxed just thinking about it. Ahh...

Edited to add that rice pudding can hold its own, and tapioca should not be left out of the running. But then I remembered that pie can come in the most mouth-watering (ew!) shades of Pecan carmelization, and the jury is still out.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited July 27, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't like pies so I don't bake any. Lately I've grown fond of the cake recipe on the back of the mayonnaise jar...it makes a really moist cake that keeps really well, and if I use a bundt cake pan and some green dye I get a nice Christmas-wreath-kind-of cake.

On conspiracies in general, and I'm trying not to be political here...I'm going to recommend a book, Camelot and the Cultural Revolution, by James Piereson, which, for me, really blew the lid off of why one conspiracy theory in particular gained such traction...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
1) Mathematicians once said the flight of a bee is impossible.

Don't confuse physics with statistics.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

When did I ever say it was the government?

All I did was present information that the official report was flawed. I pointed no fingers and made no conclusions.

But as to Watergate, how about Iran/Contra? Right before a presidential election Reagan, then a candidate trying to dislodge a democratic incumbent, made a deal with Iran to hold onto their hostages until after the election, making his opponent look bad, with the promise that he'd sell them guns afterwards and they'd release the hostages. Then he gave that gun money to a bunch of extremists in South America to stage their little revolution.

People in power knew what he was doing. Nobody cared. Republicans still call him the greatest president of all time.

Meanwhile Clinton gets a BJ in the Oval Office and gets stomped on by the media. Different things generate different media responses, and comparing one to the other is useless.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Maybe, but it will be a good laugh. And I think that my shrink will find it funny. Plus 869.00 is what I got back from taxes.

According to the republican book of prophecies we should be close to the second coming of Reagan.

RFW2nd

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Natej11, I wouldn't exactly call Carter an incumbent - Mickey Mouse could have ran against him and won.
Natej11
Member # 8547

I would vote for "Double M". I've always supported the little man. Besides, hearing the State of the Union in his squeaky voice would be pure win.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't meat loaf a kind of cake made out of meat?

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Why are you all still talking about politicians?

I think meat loaf is more a kind of bread made out of meat.

Desserts I love: dark chocolate cake, dark chocolate cheesecake, dark chocolate bread pudding, dark chocolate mousse, dark chocolate cream pie, dark chocolate.

I also love lemon and/or raspberry versions of some of the above.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Zero. I did confuse physicists, who use math, for mathematicians. Anyway, some articles on the 'Net blame an entomologist for concluding bee flight as mathematically impossible.

What's the difference between cake and sugared bread?

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, Democrats are always looking for the fourth coming of Kennedy. (Carter #2, Clinton #3, Obama being a work in progress.)
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen, I am a mom, so I feel your pain. I'm not She Who Must Be Obeyed though. I'm She Who Must Be Ignored Until She Screams.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's the difference between cake and sugared bread?

No matter how sweet you are, you can't deposit cake at the bank?

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
Sorry, Zero. I did confuse physicists, who use math, for mathematicians.

That's as silly as saying print journalists are authors because they, like authors, use words and write them down.

The distinction between physics and statistics here is important because I'm not talking about models of physics, I'm talking about models of statistics. And the math is different.

Nate,

I guess I misunderstood you, most people who doubt the official 9/11 report blame the government for causing it. Since somebody caused it, and you seem to think it wasn't the terrorists and huge airplanes, then whom do you blame? If not the government.

As for Iran-Contra, I think that strengthens my argument that covering up something as big as 9/11 is not possible since the Iran-Contra affair, which was smaller, was still ultimately exposed in the Reagan presidency.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited July 28, 2009).]

Zero
Member # 3619

I like ice cream.
jayazman
Member # 2818

This is reqarding the 9/11 World Trade towers collapsing, but it is not political in nature
I talked to an architect (construction engineer) (talked to = lectured at for a very long time) who explained to me the reason that the towers collapsed is becuase of the shoddy workmanship and lax regulations regarding construction these days. (I am paraphrasing) They said if the World Trade Towers had been built to standards of the old days (using the Empire State Building as an example) the towers would not have collapsed.
I don't know for myself not being an architect or construction engineer but it sounded like a plausible alternative to the explosives conspiracy.

[This message has been edited by jayazman (edited July 28, 2009).]

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Oh, yeah, dark chocolate ice cream, too. And dark chocolate ice cream with dark chocolate chips in it.

Unwritten, isn't that the case with all mothers? (Though the thought of being "mother" to this bunch is a little off-putting, come to think of it.)

jayazman
Member # 2818

How about pineapple upside down cake?
It's supper yummy and it's good for you!
Pineapples are fruit, fruit = good for you, pineaplle upsidedown cake = good for you!

Yummy! :: looks around:: now I want a piece...

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

jayazman, before anyone else pounces on you (and since I happen to be around at the moment), you should know that the Sears Tower (by which name it is no longer called) is in Chicago, and the 9/11 attacks brought down the two World Trade Towers in New York City.

edited to add: If you would like a piece (or the whole thing) of any dessert, please feel free to go to the "magic fridge" in the Hatrack treehouse kitchen, and you will find it there. Of course, it's virtual dessert, but it's less fattening that way.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 28, 2009).]

jayazman
Member # 2818

:: mumble mumble ::
The best thing about virtual desserts is you can have them however you like them. I like my pineapple upsidedown cake with maraschino cherries in the middle of each pineapple circle.
More fruit = even better for you!

I can feel myself getting healthier as I eat it...

(Thanks for the correction, I don't know why I was thinking of the Sears Towers... stupid Sears commercials...)

Natej11
Member # 8547

Two points for cake are lemon and blueberry pudding cake. I could eat an entire one and still want more!

But to go on a tangent, why has nobody mentioned cookies? I humbly submit that there is nothing in this world better than chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven, and I'll accept whatever persecution comes from this stand.

@Zero. Whodunit? There are plenty of ideas, but the main point is that a lot of people are calling for another investigation, this time one that responsibly examines the evidence and searches for suspects instead of sweeping everything under the rug with flimsy excuses. On 9/11 they were pointing fingers at Al Qaeda almost immediately afterwards. How did they pull that name out of their hats, and why were they so certain of it when they presented no evidence? One of the first things police do in investigating a crime is to search for who benefited from it. Plenty of people benefited from 9/11, making millions and even billions of dollars from it.

But that's another tangent, and I agree with KDW. Writer's forum, no more posts on politics.

[This message has been edited by Natej11 (edited July 28, 2009).]

Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
I humbly submit that there is nothing in this world better than chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven

I second that.

quote:
But that's another tangent, and I agree with KDW. Writer's forum, no more posts on politics

I always get a kick out of it when someone says something like this right after having the last word. Cut and run.

"I get shotgun, no battle!"

Classy...

Kitti
Member # 7277

Zero - wow, I haven't thought about shotgun arguments in ages! I'm so going to have to work that into one of my WIPs now.

Of course, it gets a little hard to have a proper shotgun battle when you're in a state where children 12 and under must sit in the backseat (and children age 8 - yes 8! - and under must be in a special car seat and/or booster seat). Maybe I'll set the story in the 1950s or something.

Zero
Member # 3619

WOW ... by being "in a state" I must assume you mean "a state of insanity" and not an actual political state, because that's just crazy!
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.