Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 24)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course. Only a fool lets someone else have the last word. You're just jealous I thought of it first! Bahahahahah VICTORY IS MINE.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I still get shotgun, though.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Shotgun...eww, messy...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

My friend always calls shotgun right out the door. I'm used to sitting in back giving shoulder rubs.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Man, you really got the raw end of the deal.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll never forget one winter break when I came home from college and decided to go somewhere with my younger brother and one of his friends. We were headed to my brother's car when the friend shouted, "Shotgun!" To which my brother replied, "Shotgun rule!" I, of course, was completely mystified, especially as the friend's jaw just about hit the ground: "The shotgun rule applies to SISTERS?"

Apparently my brother and his friends had instituted a rule that said the chick always gets shotgun. I sure raised that boy right! :-)

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I discovered the most delicious thing last night.

Ice Cream mixed with Baileys. Desert of the GODS.

May I get the .50, if Zero gets the shotgun?

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Punchbuggy!
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Old or new punchbuggy?
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Tie dye punchbuggy filled with throw backs from the 60’s.

BOOM no more tie dye punchbuggy.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II professional hippy exterminator

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Okay, play the licence plate game instead...
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
May I get the .50, if Zero gets the shotgun?

You may.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting for the fourth coming of Hulk Hogan.

(Hulk Hogan, The Rock, John Cena, Santino Morella?)

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Blue punchbuggy!
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever he feels like it, my husband calls, "Camo punchbuggy!". You know, the bug is invisible.

quote:
That's as silly as saying print journalists are authors because they, like authors, use words and write them down.

I know print journalists who consider themselves authors because of their articles. Some people believe "author" is a published writer, not a novelist or short fiction writer.

Shooting in another direction... my push mower arrived, and I think I figured out how to use it.

But why is it cold? It's 69 degrees here. My body expects summer heat, so I'm actually shivering.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

How dare you complain about perfect weather! I will...I will...

*sigh* I will go out into this 100 degree heat and get to work .

Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
I know print journalists who consider themselves authors because of their articles. Some people believe "author" is a published writer, not a novelist or short fiction writer.

Fine, I'll ammend my statement.

That's as silly as saying print journalists are novelists because they, like novelists, use words and write them down.

My point is still the same.

The math in Stats does not equal the math in Physics. Ergo a physicist is not a statistician and vice versa.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited July 29, 2009).]

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
As to the Math: They are all mathmaticians regardless of what subset of math they use. (I have no idea if this has any bearing on your argument since I haven't been paying close enough attention, I just wanted to sound smart.)

As to Cake: I've been really feeling the itch lately to making a boston cream pie which is a cake. By the way cake wins because I don't much care for pies.

As to Pie: I LOVE Pushing Daisies, and I so wish it could come back. But now it has become a logistic impossibility. If you have seen the show at all you know what this has to do with pie. I just don't like most crusts, they are just too crusty. Yes pie is more versatile, but cake rules the universe.

As to Cheesecake: I agree this is a pie, a smashing good one. I don't know if I should share this but my brother is developing a smore cheesecake. Graham cracker crust, marshmallow cheesecake middle, chocolate shell topping. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

As to Ice cream: I'd say if pie needs Ice cream to be good then that is a mark against it. My favorite flavor is Chocolate Midnight Madness, semi-liquid nirvanna.

As to Politics: Mistakes were made, the important thing is to look to the future. "Forward not backwards, backwards not sideways and always twirling twirling to the future." Paid for by the elect Kang the destroyer, not Kodos, his sister as your president campaign!

As to me: I feel like I am being squished in a tube of toothpaste, which reminds me: have any of you seen WordGirl?

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Pyre, you're right on the math bit. Anyway, I'd never mentioned stats. If Sainte-Lague used stats in his calculations to determine the possibility of bee flight, he was weirder than people let on. I'd figured whoever made the claim that bee flight is mathematically impossible used fluid dynamics in their calculations. Is that sub-set of math too young?

Has anyone else noticed how widely tiramisu recipes differ? I can't figure out if it's supposed to be a cake, a dessert cream, or something as unclassifiable as cheesecake.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I use "writer" 'cause "author" sounds pompous...
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
(I have no idea if this has any bearing on your argument since I haven't been paying close enough attention, I just wanted to sound smart.)

It doesn't. I said that occam's razor implies (strongly) that most large conspiracies are improbable to the point of impossible, the unlikeliness increases the more conditions have to be satisfied for the hypothesis to work. According to the principles of statistics and related mathematical models.

The other guy/girl said that mathematicians can't explain the flight of the bee. What he/she is talking about is true, but a subject of physics and has absolutley no bearing on the statistics models I was refering to. In effect, it's completely irrelevant. Which is what I've been saying this whole time.

Just because both physicists and statisticians use math as a primary tool doesn't make them the same exact thing. Hence my analogy of the novelists etc.

Natej11
Member # 8547

Occam's Razor is all well and good.

Say you find a dead guy on the street. Who killed him? Well, according to our friend Occam it's that guy coming round the corner on his way home from the mall, because that's a simple explanation.

The simplest explanation is good up to a point, but a lot of bad police work is based on the "simplest" explanation.

Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack, and saying something's unlikely therefore it can't be true is just lazy thinking.

That said, conspiracies are devilish hard to hide. So you either have to have a wide network of power and a complacent populace lulled by a controlled media, or you'd better have the cloak and dagger stuff down pat.

Hope that wasn't too political.

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect some of you are mischievous meddlers, attempting to elicit a response and incite debate just for the fun of it.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited July 31, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

This is news?
Natej11
Member # 8547

You found me out!

Crap, I thought I was doing a good job hiding under my bridge.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, here's my conspiracy theory - somebody in the government planted bombs in all the elevators without detonators in them. Then they used 9 known terrorists, who they hired many months in advance at a camp in Afghanistan during a tour of that country, to fly planes into the buildings in order to detonate the bombs. However, the heat from the hundreds of gallons of burning jet fuel was insufficient to detonate the bombs. So they found about 500 kamikazi firemen, who were willing to widow their spouses with very young children, to climb to the top of the buildings to detonate the bombs by hand.

Give me a break! - and Occam's name was really Ahcmed...

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

Pardon me for saying so, philo, but I strongly resent your post. To suggest that by questioning the official story I'm denigrating the sacrifice of the firefighters and policemen who died in the 9/11 attacks goes beyond debate into personal attack, and to put it frankly it's hitting below the belt.

The firefighters, rescue workers, and policemen who went into the two towers did so to save lives. They are heroes, and will be immortalized as such. The specifics behind that tragedy in no way lessen that heroism.

The argument you used is the common bludgeon of people who support the war in Iraq as well; namely that by even speaking against it we're doing something wrong. Unpatriotic, disloyal, unheard of.

Your argument, unfortunately, is one I see all too often in the media, on the internet, and in conversations. When you don't have facts or truth on your side the only thing you can resort to is personal attacks and mudslinging.

[This message has been edited by Natej11 (edited July 31, 2009).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, Natej11, this was not a personal attack against you. I didn't even remember who started this whole 911 conspiracy section of the thread.

Second of all, I was not accusing anyone of "denigrating" the sacrifice of police and firefighters. It was intended as sarcasm only, to represent what I saw as the preposterousness of MY argument.

Third, and finally, I do not understand how anyone could believe bombs brought down the buildings, while tons of jet fuel burned around them for about an hour.

This is my opinion on the matter, and I am only speaking for myself. Consider it A Modest Proposal. I apologize for offending you.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

It's a naturally touchy subject, considering that one of the first things "9/11 Truthers" are hit with is that what they're suggesting makes mockery of the tragedies of that day. *The more you know*

I didn't need to reply that heatedly, and I realized after I wrote my post that your own post wasn't directed at me. No hard feelings on either side I hope <3.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Sure thing - I'm sorry you took it personally.

We could make this "a learning moment", but I don't drink beer.

aspirit
Member # 7974

Hatrack Brew: tastes like anything you want and doesn't cause intoxication! Available in the undersea and space observatories, as well as the treehouse! Great for bonding.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Yea I get the .50. Zero you made my day.

I learned yesterday that the army has invented a safety for the M2 .50. funny story, I was helping some dumb Privets put their .50 back together, after I reassembled the bolt, and bolt carrier, I inserted them into the receiver and put the back plate on. I charged the .50 to function check it. I squeezed the butterfly trigger and nothing happened, I tried again and nothing happened. Frustrated I took the whole thing apart and put it back together, only to find that nothing was wrong. After 2 more failed attempts to get the .50 to function check SFC Como said “is the safety on?” I replied “The .50 dose not have a safety unless you consider a spent brass round shoved between the trigger a safety.”
He responded with “It dose now.” and flicked a safety lever located right under the butterfly trigger.

That safety takes all the fun out of the M2 .50 Cal I liked it when it never had one and was very dangerous and can fire with the slightest bump. Ah the good old days.

RFW2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On conspiracies (not conspiracy theories)...the rule of thumb is that in any conspiracy that has more than three particpants, at least one is a police spy.

On conspiracy theories...most involve far too many people to make them work, or even to keep them secret...

Kitti
Member # 7277

Also speaking of conspiracies...

I was out taking pictures of a yacht race last night. Right as the press boat pulls up along side this one, beautiful boat... their sail rips and goes flying. Then their replacement sail gets jammed. They're dead in the water, scrambling to get back underway, with about a dozen photographers (mostly from national papers) going snap-crazy right next to them.

It was clearly a vile conspiracy. I'm not sure who's behind it yet, but I'm sure I'll figure out and then it'll make a great story :-D

Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
Occam's Razor is all well and good.

Say you find a dead guy on the street. Who killed him? Well, according to our friend Occam it's that guy coming round the corner on his way home from the mall, because that's a simple explanation.

No the implication would fall on whomever has the shortest path to motive, means, and opportunity. The guy coming around the corner probably doesn't have motive or opportunity since he had no reason to kill the victim (most likely) and since he's just getting there, so he missed the murder event outright.

Occam's Razor isn't about making stupid conclusions, it's about making informed conclusions within acceptable parameters for plausibility.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

THe conspericy is nothing but the lizard people who are ruling, our world as we preveusly figured out. And the hat rack elections last November.

as for the dead body the lizard peaople are most likly behind it, becasue the victome had discovered them.

RFW2nd

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The BoyScouts remove the safeties from their guns (or buy models without them) because there was too many accidents for which the answer was "I thought the safety was on." Now when accidents happen the excuse is "I thought it wasn't loaded." I propose that every gun should have this engraved on it, it's my mantra with guns . . . "Every gun is ALWAYS loaded." I'm not much of a shotgun man, I use a .22 for target shooting. If something big is going down (like zombie invasion) I'd go for a soviet ZMG. I'd call him Ziggy.

Frankly the Lizard people do a better job than humans ever did.

When I was younger, whenever we farted another person would call "Doornob" and they could hit that person until the farter touched a doornob. One time, during the winter, I farted and my brother called "Propane Tank." Good times.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Speaking of lizard people - I'm really looking forward to the revamped version of V coming out this fall.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Didn't think V was particularly good when I saw part of it way back when...possibly this'll be better, 'cause the underlying story seemed interesting. (I did enjoy the Arthur C. Clarke-ish imagery of giant flying saucers hovering over cities...)
drake the thall
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for drake the thall   Email drake the thall         Edit/Delete Post 
There is always that one creep who believes in every conspiracy theory he hears. He has been hired by the government to create conspiracy theories and hide the truth.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drake the thall
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for drake the thall   Email drake the thall         Edit/Delete Post 
speaking of conspiracy theories...

nope, I got nothin that hasnt been posted already.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

My zombie action plain involves nuclear weapons and carpet bombing the plaint from orbit. Then repopulating it with werewolves. The world would be a much better place.

RFW2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

If you kill a werewolf and skin his hide and mount it on the wall, does the hide become a human one once the full moon is over?
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Well that depends on the class of the Werewolf, its age and if it decided to take that form indefinitely.
Also its damn near impossible to kill 1st or 2nd class immortals, 3rd classes such as I we are easily killed.

So the answer is maybe.

RFW2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So even among immortal werewolves, some are better than others...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

There is always a bigger fish.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Maybe there's a conspiracy among the werewolf elite to keep the lesser class of werewolves down...
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

I thought I had explained the conspiracy already. The 1st class immortals are becoming few, and 2nd classes are about the same, 3rd classes such as I technically never truly die. When we do die we are reborn identical to how we were when we were first turned. We are only dead for 24 hours then start life all over again with memories returning around puberty. Now what if there were no humans left for 3rd classes to be reborn? Well there will still be some werewolves, there is also wolves (yes some how there is a way, but hasten been used since Romulus and Remus no they were not technically offspring of Rhea Silvia and Mars.)

And now you know.

RFW2nd

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Most of the time people fear what they don't understand. Then when they finally and fully understand they find out that they should have been terrified.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
So close to post 1200.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.