Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 31)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully that means we had a productive weekend. Can you imagine the force of nature that would be if everyone on this board had one productive day. They'd be talking about it for ages. (Of course They talk about a lot of things for ages, that's just how they are.)
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I was productive. I finally finished my WOTF submission. I'm debating whether to have anyone critique it first - it is a magnified version of the first story I ever wrote here and it has been fully critiqued three previous times. I'm about all critiqued out on it, and I don't know if my stomach, or head, could take anymore changes. My thought is to just toss it out there and see if it flies.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
As I posted in the "did you write?" thread somewhere over thataway, I'm going to cut back on excessive revision. It's taking too much time and it's not any fun. Fun is all I've got, and I'm having enough trouble getting any writing done while that drains off.

The best analogy I've got is that of chewing a piece of gum, over and over. Once, when I was a kid, I actually had the gum dissolve in my mouth...but under the strain of picking at them, my stories are just dissolving around me.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
My computer, or my Internet connection, or my physical connection, or my whatever, has a serious case of the slows this morning...works for awhile, then every couple of minutes takes, well, minutes to load pages. I'm a-workin' on it...but today's the last day of my vacation, and I have to turn in early so I can get up and go to work...and I don't have as much time to fiddle with things.

I won't be back till tomorrow morning...maybe not then if I'm too tired...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
hay i known about this for over a year but have been too lazy to tell you all about it.

i was reminded when my Microsoft Office Outlook reminded me when i went into it and a message poped up that said remind hatrack about this good comic. 1 year over due.

so here it is. enjoy.

http://www.dogsdaysofsummer.com/index.htm

Warning for mature audiences

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, my computer / Internet connection is fine today. Whatever it (or I) was doing it's (or I'm) not...or maybe whatever it (or I) wasn't doing, it is (or I am).

Then again, my computer was turned off from about 11:30 AM yesterday to 8:00 AM this morning...it's been on most of the time while I was on vacation...never underestimate letting something cool down.

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
With posts I started called "dead" and "it was nice knowing you all" right next to each other, it makes me seem like a pretty depressing guy. Even though they were a year apart.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Trout!
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
man i just took 4 percasets and i think i am floteing.

wow i feel grate.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record: Animal Crackers + Soup = Nasty as Hell. (That goes for Graham Crackers, too--especially with Vegetable Beef!)
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
IB, I believe they make an animal cracker that is more like a soup cracker instead of a cookie.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ah, but would you put animal crackers in your soup?
Zero
Member # 3619

A young relative of mine happened to see that SHirley Temple film, featuring the song, and altered the lyrics to "lions and tigers take a poop" and, well, the song was just never the same after that.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"lions and tigers take a poop"

For the record, I wouldn't put that in my soup, either.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

i put vodka in my soup. i like to think it makes it tast better.

and for the record i had my wisdome teeth cut from my head 2 days ago so i can only eat soup.

RFW2nd

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

InarticulateBabbler, do you have a account on Flash Fiction Online? i just googeled your name and thats what poped up.

and Yhaoo answers.

just wondering.

RFW2nd

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Yep. Im there. I don't use Yahoo Answers much anymore, but I have an account there, too.

I'm like a certain cartoon villain: I'm everywhere.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

i see.

rfw2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Say, anybody yet bite on the Windows 7? I usually only upgrade when I buy new hardware, and take what software comes with it. Doubt if I'll do it, but I was wondering if anybody is, or is planning, or feels so badly burned they'll avoid anything Microsoft like the plague...something to discuss, anything to keep this thread going.

(I had to hunt down and look up what operating system I have. Windows XP, which is about two systems ago, I think. It does the job.)

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly prefer XP to what I've seen of Vista. I see no reason to change. The fact that the netbook I bought, and most of them it seems, came with XP was a big plus for me. It works and I have no compatibility problems.

My boyfriend is saving for a laptop. I'm sure it will have Windows 7 when he gets it. I'll let you know what we find then.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I just sent a sketch of an Orc to Scott Oden. He likes Orcs, and blogged about a new (Independent Film) Orc comedy coming out.
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista. If you've got Vista, do the upgrade. If you've got XP, you'll want to probably stick with that as long as possible. Moving from XP to 7 requires a clean install (wiping the hd clean, then installing 7).
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
It's saturday! Wheeeeeee!
Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

One of these days, I've really got to back up my files...particularly my iTunes, where I've got about thirteen hundred more songs on it than when I last backed it up...

I never transferred most of the stuff on my old computer to my new computer...most of it was stuff I really didn't need, that cluttered up my files...one thing I regretted not having was a short and incomplete clip of a Ringo Starr video...but then I realized the clip was on iTunes and I downloaded the whole video...

Zero
Member # 3619

All I know is that they did not improve the Chess Titans software that comes with the OS which is, sadly, abysmally bad.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I need to buy me one of those little netbooks soon so I don't end up with one with anything past XP. What I've seen of Windows 7 is nice, but it's better to fight the devil you know right?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Might as well drag this off the rails...it is supposed to be "random" musings, after all...

Some time during my vacation the (Comcast) cable company rearranged all the channels for reasons that remain obscure. (Supposedly it's to match up the channels in, if not the world, then the immediate area...but why this is necessary, I have no idea.) Some channels disappeared, some moved up to the digital tier and some moved down from it...some are at two or more places, in HD and regular.

It's extremely irritating. I'll flip through channels without thinking, and land on something I don't want to look at. And some of those channels were at those spots for as long as I have had access to cable, which is a pretty long time now.

I'm not enamored of Comcast for doing this---beginning of the year, I hooked into their high-speed computer thingy as well as switching phone services, and I'm not enamored of either of them, either---but I'm also not enamored of the thought of having to change anything. I'll wait and see what comes.

rich
Member # 8140

Does anyone have a tissue?
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
We're pretty sure my husband has Swine Flu, but he's doing fine now.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

This is funny:

Favorite animals with Lightsabers

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Gezundheit.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Terrify Tissue
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

you know i was just listning to the song Dancing in the Moon Light by Kings Harvest. it sounds to me like they are Werewolves as well. now all i have to do is find them and see if they are long lost brethren of mine.

RFW2nd

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I was trailed by a bounty hunter.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Oh? Is there a reward for your capture?
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish, I could use the money.

It's actually kind of a funny story. I was driving in my Minivan, listening to Radio Disney and asking my son what rhymes with cat, as I drove through a Walmart parking lot. This blue car pulls behind me and is following me really close, but come on I was driving in a walmart parking lot, that's where the crazies learn to drive, so I wasn't paying him very much attention.

I parked at my local Hastings, and the guy parks right next to my van and looks at me from the cab of his vehicle. He has on a cowboy hat and these bushy eyebrows and he looks at me and really smiles. This weirds me out, because as a wife and mother of two, people don't generally look at me that closely. So I get out of my car and tell my son to hold my hand, and the bounty hunter leaves his car, now ignoring me completely. He has on a vest, and as he enters the Hastings I see a shiney set of handcuffs open and ready dangling from his back belt loop, and then after the handcuffs I notice a handgun tucked into the back of his pants on the outside of his vest.

I get my daughter and look into his car, because I've always wondered what the inside of a bounty hunters car would look like, and there is another cowboy hat (a spare, I guess, in case his get's lost) and some redbull. On the passengers seat there's a piece of paper with a woman's face on it and some info. I guess some wanted woman drives the same van as me. I don't know though, I didn't stay to look too long. The man who owned the car did have a gun, after all.

Most exciting thing to happen to me in a while.

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited October 28, 2009).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

Sounds like the beginning of a Joe Lansdale story, Shimiqua.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
He has on a cowboy hat and these bushy eyebrows and he looks at me and really smiles.

Yeah, I've heard things have been really tough for Imus lately - he must have started hanging around Dog after they both lost their shows.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I carved our family pumpkin with the Transformers symbol.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I drove for the first time in the parking lot of a Sears store...my father tried to teach me, but he didn't properly appreciate that I'd never driven a car before and didn't really know how to handle one. He promptly signed me up for lessons given by a professional.

(It didn't help that he got me out of bed at six Sunday morning to do it, either...)

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

My Hatrack Halloween is a Smearp. If anyone can figure out what that looks like feel free to picture me as one.
LAJD
Member # 8070

Happy Halloween!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'll be spending the early evening with the lights off...I have to sleep in the day, get up at eight PM, and go off to work at nine-twenty...I can't hand out the candy like it should be done.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

If you see a cheeseburger lying on the beach, don't pick it up, it has a hook in it, the fish have finally figured out the game and are starting to play it themselves.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Always prefered hamburgers without cheese, actually...
LAJD
Member # 8070

What about hotdogs or picnic baskets. It always worked for Yogi...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ah, hot dogs...I've never been able to get a hot dog as good as the ones I used to get from the King Kone stand in Fishkill, New York...

I think I've said somewhere in this terribly lengthy thread that the best french fries I can get are ones I make myself. Maybe there's a restaurant somewhere that makes ones as good or better, but I don't know where it is.

(Here's the recipe: Buy some kind of deep fryer or Dutch oven, the kind that comes with a basket to dunk it in, fill it with vegetable oil, heat to four hundred Fahrenheit. Be careful not to set anything on fire while doing this. Take about two and a half pounds of potatoes, half of a five pound bag, peel them and cut them up. Put them in the basket, dunk the basket in the hot oil. Pull them out and shake them every copule of minutes or they'll stick together. Keep them in until they start to darken and some start to float in the oil, usually around fifteen minutes. Take out and let cool for three or four minutes, longer if you worry about burning yourself. Eat.)

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Home made fries are far superior to most anything you'll find in a restaurant. You know why? because they make them with batter, which I think is a step too far from just cutting up the potato. It's like the difference between fish and fishsticks. A chicken breast and a chicken nugget. (I actually prefer fishsticks and chicken nuggets but not fry sticks, tater tots are good though.)

If it is beside the point than it isn't in the sentence.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

They also come sprayed with sugar to make them brown faster when fried.

I used to work at Burger King and Wendy's (and how did I ever survive that?) where I found that the product tasted pretty good---if you ate it fresh off the flame broiler or grill. Any sitting around, say, in the time it took to get a bag of burgers home, well, they were just awful.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Two french fry alternatives.

Back them on a cookie sheet drizzled with olive oil and seasoned salt. Turn a few times. I don't know how hot the oven should be. My automatic fry maker (spouse) creates them.

Another technique is to par boil the fries to get them started. Make sure they are absolutely dry and then put them in the hot oil. They don't take as long to cook and they absorb less oil.

Again the details are sketchy. If my automatic fry maker gave me the secrets she'd have to kill me.

Then I wouldn't be able to enjoy the fries.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.