Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 32)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
...somewhere after the preposition.

(edited to add the )

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited November 04, 2009).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
...its time to read the blogs!
Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted my spaghetti recipe 'round here awhile ago...good thing I did, 'cause not long after I scrambled the diskette it was on.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
well I didn't
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever thought about how bad of an idea it is to make mint smelling markers? I think that might have been a major cause for the fact that I don't remember fourth grade.

.peels deeN

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

I attended a Traffic Diversion this week with my 16yr old son.

He was not wearing a bike helmet (idiot) and got a ticket. A Traffic Diversion is Police-speak for Traffic school. But I am in the middle of writing a steam punk-romance short story where the MC (a proper young lady named Mercy) talks about being diverted so I sat for two hours while the officers (who ride motorcycles), one of which was british and did not speak Californian and the other who had managed to make it to adulthood and gods knows how many of these classes and still not know how to man a PowerPoint presentation go on and on. I do believe they resurrected several frames of blood on the highway. While I imagined Mercy and Horatio being diverted by their wonderful flying machine...wearing helmets, of course.

After class, I asked them what a Diversion was and they gestured around them and said "Well, this..." and then I asked why it was called a Diversion and they looked at me like two leather clad owls. Their boots were cool, though.

It was an odd week.

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Missing the Boat
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested to learn this Californian language...what's it like? Is it easy to learn?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like, you know.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
And everything.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is slowing a bit. What will come first? Jan 1st 2010 or post 2010?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang now I want to do everything in my power to make sure the answer to that question is both.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Looks like you've got less than two months.
LAJD
Member # 8070

RE: Californian.

It's not really as simplistic as depicted by Pauli Shore in Encino Man, or as slick as Alicia Silverstone in Blast from the Past. Mr. Shore's dialect is really a derviative of Dude, which has roots in the Malibu surfer communities of the mid 70's. And Ms Sliverstone bases hers on the Galleria movement of the mid-80s so prevalent in the Valley.

Today's modern Californian, as observed in Northern California, is closer to a blending of LOL-speak mixed with cracker-rap as interpreted by over indulged white boys. Most communication no longer happens verbally but only via txt.

Examples include:

"Dude, Mom. I didn't cut that class I was just hanging." (single example of verbal communication)

"I feelin bad and none of my classes r doin anything. Can I come home?"

"U r a dwb" (this was in response to a negative on the above)

I have discovered that removal of the cell phone, X-Box and computer (where WOW is played) results in a slow resumption of normal communication.

8)

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have discovered that removal of the cell phone, X-Box and computer (where WOW is played) results in a slow resumption of normal communication.

/agree

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"Californian" makes me think of the ship that didn't come to the rescue of the Titanic.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I thought that was Icelandic whale poachers.
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
When I think Californian I get this strange fusion of gang members with funny teeth and uzis in old cars with shiny wheels, The Beach Boys and palm trees, and the Hollywood sign.

Which is funny, because I spent some time in LA and the actual memories of that time was concrete, traffic, and more concrete.

And as for X-Boxes and WoW... one of these days I should disconnect my internet for a month as a social experiment and see what it does to my home life. Maybe those brain cells WoW ate will grow back and my productivity will no longer look like this:

http://www.explosm.net/comics/383/

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Never been further west than Laramie, Wyoming. And that was nearly forty years ago.

Never got into games. I kinda bought my first computer to try out a video game of "The Simpsons," but everything else I loaded onto it was either (a) free, or (b) associational with something I was interested in. By the time I bought my second computer, I hadn't found any games I was so interested in that I thought it was worth downloading...most of the downloads since then have been music-related, i. e. maintaining and adding to an iTunes program.

Not that my social activity, or even actual writing time, has gone up from not doing any of these extracurricular activites...

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
In your bra!

Wait, sorry, think I'm in the wrong thread.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I like adding "At Walmart." to the end of fortune cookies.
LAJD
Member # 8070

I stopped watching TV about 9 months ago and I think my IQ has increased but I also found that I don't know what anybody at cocktail parties is talking about anymore.

I'm OK with that.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I've heard that learning to juggle is the best way to increase your IQ.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I tried "Juggling for Klutzes," but without much luck. I did better with "Harmonica for the Musically Impaired," or whatever it was---I'm more musical than I am coordinated.
LAJD
Member # 8070

I just finished using tubs and tubs of penetrating epoxy and bondo to repair a rotted exterior beam. That stuff is nasty- mostly the bondo the epoxy does not smell as toxic.

I think I lost all the IQ points I gained from not watching TV.... 8(

snapper
Member # 7299

Wow. This must be the longest stretch yet witout a post.

Governemnt regulations, bah-humbug. I am nowhere (Wells, NV) forced to sit here until Sunday morning. It is snowing outside. Blizzard.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I like to hold back until somebody else says something.

Come to think of it, I do have something to say.

Last month, after a bad hangnail experience, I decided to let that fingernail grow long...then started letting them all grow long. Twasn't easy, being an inveterate nailbiter, but I managed...somehow. Yesterday I trimmed them a little, but...

How can you guys with long nails stand it? I'd rub my eyes or scratch an itch and damned near draw blood. They poked me when I didn't expect it. I worried constantly about getting things under them. What gives?

snapper
Member # 7299

I feel awful.

While I was sitting watching football in the drivers lounge of a truck stop in the middle of nowhere a driver noticed that I was on the net and started to ask me questions about the shooting at Ft Hood. Now I know it was a week ago but hey, some people really try to disassociate themselves from all the bad news. You really can't blame them. Well, this guy just heard from home that a kid he knew back in Indiana was one of the ones that was murdered. I pulled up todays news and the Sgt he knew as his neighbors son was the first person mentioned in the story. This poor guy crumbled right before my eyes.

It feels as if I did something wrong. I know that is illogical but it is still a feeling I cannot shake.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel bad, snapper. If it were you (assuming, because if it were me), you'd want to know. Even if you really hoped it wasn't true.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Being the "messenger" is such a complicated thing.

Commiserations, snapper.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Is the medium the messenger?
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Snow outside.

Even so, it's too early for Christmas songs on the radio.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

In the last forty-eight hours, I've heard "Adeste Fidelis" and "You're a Mean One, Mister Grinch." (Of course, they were on my iPod, playing in random order.)
snapper
Member # 7299

Thanks IB and KDW.

NOw I know how those poor telegraph delivers must have felt in WWII.

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because.
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter threw up today,all over her purple shirt and in the mall. Luckily it was outside the mall, unluckily I had no other shirt to put her in. So I had to zip her up in a red jacket and she was almost sweating the rest of the time in our 80 degree weather.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

Oh, it's ON, baby!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29001524/

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you rich for enlivening our random musings, I was about to put a stake in it's heart and consider it dead for maybe good.
And then you have to post that Stephen King say's that Stephanie Meyer can't write worth a ****.

My comments are based only on what the article said and in no way reflects you rich. It only sounds that way.

I think it is obnoxious the way every would be writer has to bash Stephanie Meyer. I know she made mistakes, like "shhh" she hushed and everything. But come on. Twilight was her first novel. The very first novel she ever wrote, and I bet if you dug into your bag of tricks and pulled out your first novel, there would be a few minor mistakes in it. I know there are in mine.

Second off, Steven King must feel threatened or something, or Oh yeah... he has a book coming out. Let's bash the most popular book out there and remind people how well he can write.

I think the article is just a publicity stunt used by the man who hocked his new book on The View.

Personally, I wish he would have taken the Orson Scott Card route and spoke kindly. Then, when the fad fades away, and Stephanie Meyer has to stand on her own skills as a writer, she can either fade away with the fad, or show everyone why so many people have bought her books. Steven King calling her out as just a fad, might come back to bite him on the butt now that she has more power in publishing than he does.

And third off, if a publishing house bought her book, and she actually can't "write worth a ****" then, Sweet! There is hope for me to be published too.

So maybe we should think positively that the next big fad out there will have one of our names on it, and think how we would react if that happens. Steven King, I'm disappointed.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Tell King his writings are so overloaded with words that it's a wonder they can stand up on their own, and that the idea for his latest sounds like something he lifted from The Twilight Zone---which wouldn't be the first time he did. Some guys just can't stand that others can be successful, in sales or artistic standards.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
If you read the entire article, you might notice he admits Meyer writes well for her target audience--teenaged girls and timid adults. That's not the audience he cares about, so it's not surprising he would bash a writing style that appeals to its members.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

I don't think Stephen King has written a decent book in quite awhile, but a couple of things:

He never called Meyer out as a fad, and I don't think he's jealous of her success. It's just the guy's opinion. Obviously a few of you don't share his opinion, and that's cool. But I think you're attributing motivations to him that are not possible to gauge from that snippet.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

If I were to one day be able to successfully emulate one or the other - I would choose King (I would rather make millions and be respected, than possibly make billions and be mocked by my peers).
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
David Farland (Wolverton) was Stephanie Meyer's teacher (as well as Brandon Sanderson's) and he has about the same amount of appreciation as King for her prose. Essentially, she tapped into the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" market as it was dying, so she caught all those residual fans.

You want to make a mint? Write a door-stopper about a couple of angsty witch-sisters....Do that with "Charmed".

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 21, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've given King's works a pass for, oh, about five or six years, I think. The only thing of his I read regularly is his occasional column in Entertainment Weekly...where I thought he puts an unusual amount of arrogance forward, something that's shown up elsewhere in his nonfiction, that didn't when I first started reading his stuff.

I think it comes across that he was once one of the sheep, and now he thinks he's the shepherd.

(I had to check the spelling of "shepherd.")

skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting to post post 2000--I did post 1000--get a move on.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
ha...i'm waiting for post 100,000 for open discussions but I think kdw should post that one
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ya gotta know when to post 'em...know when to host 'em...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

know when to fall alseep . . . know when to slum.

Sorry I just heard the ghost of Kenny Rogers singing those words to me. (And before you tell me Kenny Rogers isn't dead look at a picture of him recently and look at one of him ten years ago. One of two things happened, horribly botched facelift or he died and they replaced him with a phony.)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A lot of celebrities have had horrific facelifts...some of whom deny ever having had one. (The last time I saw Cher, she looked like she could have played the lead part in Mask and not the supporting role she did play. Her surgery is said to have ended her acting career.)
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.