Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 33)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Some feel the need to take things off, some feel the need to put things on.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Some feel the need for others to take things off. Some feel the need for others to put things on.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Some feel the need to do unto others. Some feel the need to have others do unto them.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you call and African American kid with two Asian parents?

Sum Ting Wong

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
IB, five fantasy bucks says you get censured.

However, at least people got your joke, mine required too much thought in relation to the previous post.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Answer for IB: adopted?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sure, take the easy answer.

(I still like Sum Ting Wong.)

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, too, IB. I'm stealing it.

I was going to post the link for a site that is all about bad facelifts, but just took a gander at it, and I don't think it'll pass the smell test here. (And I had to gouge my eyes out after looking at that site, and I've seen just about everything...)

I'm now blind and mylk klj;aew aval lkeaerlkvals .

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

All right, IB, here's your five fantasy bucks - $$$$$ - don't spend them all in one place.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

What did the American man say to the Middle Eastern man who was shaking out a carpet?

(What? Can't get it started?)

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 24, 2009).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we making ethnic jokes to pad this out? Well, an Englisman, a Frenchman, and an Arab walk into this bar.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Does anyone know the biggest difference between Cher and her daughter?
rich
Member # 8140

This is the quote I'm living my life for now:

"With a plan and a monkey, a man can do anything."

It is so true. I'm learning so much by watching Curious George with my kids. I saw that monkey conduct an orchestra!!?? And he's really not a monkey, either. He's a chimp, but he'll always be that crazy monkey to me.

The only other thing that kinda freaks me out is Martha Speaks. Apparently if you give your dog vegetable soup, the letters go to the dog's brain instead of her stomach. Genius!! The thing that really freaks me out, though, is that this dog can carry on quite the conversation and no one blinks. I so seriously want to see the episode where some slacker drops acid, and meets Martha.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you call a dehydrated Frenchmen?

(Pierre)

*I think I said this one here before.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, no more ethnic jokes.

Also, no dumb blonde jokes.

I'm not even sure I like the idea of "people who don't write" jokes, though I can be convinced.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
how about wife jokes? I posted one in another thread earlier...I heard no laughter though
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Does anyone know the biggest difference between Cher and her daughter?

Then, or now?

philocinemas
Member # 8108

After they each had a "face" lift.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me be the first to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

This has always been one of my favorite holidays, this year it won't be. I have never missed one. This time I will be 2500 miles away. My wife tends to stress out during holidays, especially when it involves traveling to someone elses house, a few times in the past she elected to stay home. My daughters enjoy the trip up to my moms but who knows what will happen this year.

Man I sure do hope everything goes smooth. I hate getting those calls with an angry woman on the line with crying teenagers in the background.

Enjoy your day everybody, and route for the lions for me. I could use the good news of a rare victory.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy thanksgiving to you too, and everyone else. For those not celebrating it, happy thursday.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited November 25, 2009).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Thanksgiving Day.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Happy T-day. May the gobbler be with you.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Beside you, not inside you. Poor turkeys.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Doing Thanksgiving this year meant getting to bed about three hours late---'cause I still had to get up at eight PM to be at work at ten PM. I made it, but I don't enjoy doing it. (By the way, work was a disaster.)
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have to work on Thanksgiving but I did have to work the day after, so no early morning shopping trips for me.

(I wouldn't have gone shopping even if I hadn't had to work, too dangerous)

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I got up on Friday at 2am, showered, and drove 30 minutes to Best Buy with plans of getting a new Sony laptop. There were already about 200 people in line. I stood there in the cold for 2 hours waiting outside of Best Buy. When I finally got inside, I found that the laptop I wanted was sold out. There were already about 70 people in line for laptops. I got a few movies and stood in line for another 45 minutes to get out of the store. Fun, fun, fun!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Years ago, not thinking of the consequences, I went out to the mall on Black Friday to buy a pair of shoes. [shudders] Never again.

I went to the supermarket on this past Black Friday. Nobody's in the supermarkets.

My brother was going out to try his luck on Black Friday, but I haven't heard how things worked out.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm a big Black Friday Aficionado, this year We-Are-Toys opened at midnight, and that threw everything off for everybody else. You see We Are Toys is a three hour commitment if you are in first third of the line, six hours if in the second third and so on. Now the sharks knew that they could get in and out in time to go to their second store, usually We Are Toys is the only one you go to, if you do go. (Even if you decide not to buy anything you have to fight to get out of the store.) So a bunch of the people who would have normally been stuck in a brightly colored building full of toys were instead free to get in line at Chest Guy and Bullseye and K-Ma-Part and Wal-Ma-Part and copSho and Old Lady. (Normally I wouldn't even look at the Old Lady add, but they had a free Lego Rockband on the docket, and I do mean to use the singular there.)

Speaking of another thing in which I am an aficionado, kid's shows. I love Martha Speaks, my favorite parts are when people don't actually believe a dog is talking to them so they jump to different conclusions which are much more absurd. I also love Word Girl, I'd like to get those on DVD. That show has more narrative than I've seen in a kid's show in a long time. Curious George has it's good moments, (and a lot of them are quotable) but it is strange to me that half the time they live in the country and run a farm and the other time they live in the city. About the only one I don't like is Super Why, I usually like new takes on nursery rhymes and such but they screw them up so terribly I can't stand it. To solve the conflict in a story they rewrite the story so there is no conflict. Instead of the wolf chasing red riding hood dressed as grandma the wolf hugs red riding hood and then they play on the swings together. So basically they take a story and turn it into a non-story. It really bothers me.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

I'm a big WordGirl fan, too. Reminds me of the old Electric Company show way back when Mel Brooks, Joan Rivers, and Morgan Freeman were regulars.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I like a lot of what are ostensibly children's shows---either it's a sign of second childhood or a sign of never having left first childhood. Most of my current favorite movies are animation...most of what I watch on TV are cartoons...most of the channels I flip to when bored with the news are channels for children. (But not entirely. I can't figure out how something like Disney or Nickelodeon can put on animated fare that's so good, while putting on live action stuff that's so lame.)
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Five or six pages ago, we talked about the Beatle Box, the new remastered CD bodybuilder package that came out in September. I bought one that first day and enjoyed listening to it over the next couple of weeks; I found the stereo separations to be interesting and nostalgic-making and all that...I haven't yet downloaded any to my iPod (the older versions are already there), but probably will at some point.

Yesterday in Best Buy I happened across the Beatles Mono Box, and bought one and brought it home. (I would have bought it sooner but I hadn't seen it, and didn't know any were in the store.) This is another package---the other box contains stereo mixes and this one contains (mostly) mono mixes. Arguably, these are the proper and correct mixes, the way the Beatles intended their work to be heard---the Beatles spent more time on mono mixing and often handed the stereo mixing over to other hands and ears. Mistakes were made from haste. There are a lot of difference between mono and stereo versions, some almost amounting to different takes.

So far, I've only had the time to listen to one, but I did catch a long-talked-about difference---in the mono version of "Please Please Me," John Lennon doesn't blow the last verse, as he does in the stereo version. I look forward to running through these, and maybe later adding them all to my iPod as well.

(Or almost all..."Revolution #9" is still off my list, and I still have to figure out how to make most of Side Two of "Abbey Road" into one big single track.)

((Also by the way, you won't find "Yellow Submarine," "Abbey Road," or "Let it Be" in this package---they were exclusively mixed for stereo. The latter two are omitted...mono mixes of the four original songs for "Yellow Submarine" are included in this package's version of "Past Masters." (Later only-stereo singles are omitted as well.)))

[edited 'cause I meant "Revolution #9" and not "#1"]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited December 02, 2009).]

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, good old Revolution #9, Yoko Ono's way of saying she's really the fifth Beatle. (Although she would probably count as the sixth or seventh depending on where you put George Martin and their old drummer.) This is the reason I have a "Good Beatles" playlist.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy, No TV And No Beer Makes Homer Something Something Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine . . .

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Now the truth can be told. I am the fifth Beatle.
rich
Member # 8140

So your real name is Clarence?
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
i was gone for over 30 days and no one thought to organize a resque party?

i had to bribe the janiter of the nuthouse to smuggel me with the trash for $,5000.00.

and i jumpt a train back to las cruces and hitch hike back to WSMR.

damn.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
xxx

[This message has been edited by Rommel Fenrir Wolf II (edited December 03, 2009).]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

The time has come for me to say...
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Don't be shy. Speak up.
Owasm
Member # 8501

The random musing stopped with the ellipsis.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There were some things mankind was not meant to know.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

There were flowers that were never meant to grow.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

From wild seeds I never meant to sow.
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Yippee! It's friday!
Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

It won, the dog I hadn't meant to show.

On an unrelated note does anybody know the significance of: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo. Because that's my new favorite sentence.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Are we rhyming phrases that end in "ow?"
shimiqua
Member # 7760

No.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
He didn't already know?

Here's another musing. Personality strengths can transform into weaknesses during the writing process. Pacifists struggle to write fictional conflict. Ponderers are tempted to see every word as flawed and edit endlessly. Truth-seekers recoil from presenting layers of secrets kept by characters. I like to dream that every weakness may be improved, though.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
And now I have to go.

I wish I some witty and insightful musing to go here.....

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Whoah!

In the Internet fanfic community I used to hang out in, we had a rhyming contest with different rhymes to "ain" / "ane" / "ayn" etcetera. (It rhymed with one of the main characters' names.) The thing lasted for months, and I could always come up with another one.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

What is that nice green glow? (Actually at first we were trying to stay pretty close to the whole structure of the never meant to know line. But mutation is natural.)

I'm a pretty easy going, calm, optimistic person and yet everything I write tends to be genocide, disease and murder, not usually in a nihilistic way. (Although there is this one story where everyone dies.) I try to write happy things but it always turns down a terrible road.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.