Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 34)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
when i was in the loony bin i was dared to run through the halls stripping off my cloths yelling the Canadaians are comming.

i got $80.00 for it and a happy shot and the I LOVE ME JACKET.

any way my buddy was palying Modern Warfare 2 and the first misssion was giving me flash backs to Afg. looked just like Kandahar.

i could not sleep that night

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay away from war games, Rommel. You have enough to worry about as is.

I shoveled my driveway for the first time tonight! I feel so grown up.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
it snowed in White Sands the day. i for got to say that.

i try to stay away from them. actialy i dont realy play games anymore.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The one good thing about living in this hothouse hellhole that is Florida is that you don't have to shovel snow out of the driveway. This pales in comparison to the yardwork you have to put in, though...

(For the record, where I live, it has snowed, twice, since I got dragged down here.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the same way Pyre Dynasty. I've been reading Gail Carson Levine lately and thought it would be fun to rewrite a fairy tale.

I started with "Once upon a time," and ended with the prince and princess killing each other and burning down the castle.

Good times, good times.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheena, I'm sure Gail Carson Levine would love to hear that.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"Once upon a time..."

Great opening, right?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
We're having our first real rain storm of the season here in Los Angeles. It's true, Angelenos don't know how to drive in the rain. It's smart to leave a little extra following distance so as not to get caught in their mayhem. However, you can't leave too much or someone will dart in front of you. It is a game of finesse and balance that we play every day but it becomes much more challenging when people are doing stupid things in the rain.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

i am in the middle of the desert right next to Mexico and it snowed some one help me figure that one out. it was 100+ in the summer.

RFW2nd

aspirit
Member # 7974

I saw more snow during my years in a California desert than I saw during my years in the Cascade mountains. The uneven El Niño periods during those years might have contributed, but still, it's an example of how deserts aren't always hot, dry places.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

...try Chicken Delight.
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jealous of those of you living in Florida and LA right now. It was - 38 C (- 36 F)this morning with the wind chill. Yay winter!
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

When it rains in LA, it's important not to panic...just keep in mind that those fluffy white things in the sky are called "clouds" and those distant brown things are called "mountains."
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Those distant brown things you called 'mountains' look like some giant baker came along and dusted them with powdered sugar. The sky is absolutely clear blue and sunny today. The Hollywood sign is clean and easily visible.

It's chilly now at 2:40 pm (55 degrees F)and is supposed to be very cold (37 degrees F) tonight. This is about as cold as it ever gets here. (Of course there are other areas of So.Cal. that get colder but I'm speaking for here in the middle, well, West Hollywood.)

I feel for you ScaredyDog and anyone else that's freezing their tuckus off. We only have a few days of this cold and that's plenty. I don't know how you do it.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i am in the middle of the desert right next to Mexico and it snowed some one help me figure that one out. it was 100+ in the summer.

It's called global warming buddy get used to it. Just remember whatever happens it's global warming's fault. Whether it gets cold or hot or somewhere in the middle it's global warming's fault. This morning I slept in so I couldn't scrape the road before noon, somehow that's global warming's fault. (Just having fun here, don't sic global warming on me.)

I love the snow, but the van I have right now sucks in the snow, and I have to park in the road because I work nights. (So I don't box in people who need to leave in the morning.) This is going to be a trying winter.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
First snow of the year in Michigan today. First time posting on this thread, too.

I feel so fulfilled.

Anyone know how to make baklava?

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I know where you can get some great baklava. A meat market in Union Lake Michigan has outstanding and fresh baklava. Their meat is first class too.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"Where's the global warming? It's freezing in here."---Bob Dylan
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
It was - 43 C this morning. Just thought I'd keep you all informed.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Around here, snow sparkles like innumerable crystals, each containing a tiny rainbow. Its beauty doesn't quite compensate for its attitude, though. The stubborn stuff won't hold together for snowball fights and snowman-making. It's too dry.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Scaredy Dog.

If it's -43 deg C and you walk into a room that's 0 deg C does it feel warm?

As for me, I look out at a snow covered landscape as well. It nearly hit 0 deg F last night. Gotta watch out for water pipes. I guess when it's -43 deg C you've gotta watch out for breathing pipes.

That is all...

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
It's cold here too. I think the high only got to 60! I had to put on a jacket when I went outside and my poor daughter doesn't even have a coat for the mornings.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It was a balmy eighty-something here in Florida yesterday...it's supposed to cool down some today and tomorrow.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I have these huge picture windows in my front room, and sometimes while I am typing, I can get a sunburn. Impressive thing to do when today the temperature hit a friendly five degree's.*

~Sheena

*The above statement is a lie, but I will make you guess which parts are true and which parts are fiction.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Its a COLD day in Hell when a Werewolf has to eat vegetables. and when it snowed in El Passo and White Sands i was eating vegetables, out of exception of corce.

ANY WAY.....

Walt Disney is going to PAY (with the body of Walt Disney him self....) if they excuse my russian **** up TRON.

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/tron/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxolhNz6n4o

Rommel Fenrir Wolf THE SECOND

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
It was eighty degree on Thanksgiving and I thought that was too hot. I kind of like this cold weather. Usually my sweaters sit in the closet and gather dust which is sad because I love wearing sweaters. The 70's are predicted for next week, goodbye sweater weather.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

It's raining, it's pouring,
The old man is snoring,
Went to bed,
Lost his head,
And couldn't get up the next morning.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It was a dark and stormy night...
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I really HATE Christmas.

It's not a casual you go your way and I'll go my way thing either. If I saw Christmas on the street I wouldn't cross to the other side, I'd get right up in his face and say mean things like "Your socks don't match." and "The easter bunny can totally take you."

I want it to be January 1 so all I have to worry about is paying my taxes.

Christmas sucks.

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I had in mind a particular gizmo to give someone. I saw it in a store while on vacation last May...but when I went up in October the store was closed. Their online catalog didn't have it. And I have yet to see it elsewhere.

Ah, well, there's always next Christmas.

genevive42
Member # 8714

Robert, what was the gizmo? Maybe we can help?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

An electric flyswatter. Looked like a small tennis racket.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Here's one on Amazon,, though there were a bunch listed.

http://www.amazon.com/iTouchless-3-Layer-Portable-Electric-Mosquito/dp/B000EJVYUC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1260735461&sr=8-3

Even if the store was there it might not have had the electric flyswatter. I'll bet it's a seasonal item. You might try your local hardware store too.

I once tried to buy a garden hose at the drug store (Sav-on, at the time) on Thanksgiving and was told it was 'seasonal'. Mind you, I'm in Los Angeles and it was 78F and sunny. I can only attribute this to the corporate idio..decision makers being back east and their brains being frozen. (No offense to any of you who actually live back east. You're here on Hatrack so obviously your brains aren't frozen.) Why they don't have regional managers making the product decisions for their areas I'll never know.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Slush falling from the sky in blankets! The absolute horrors! But I love snow and love forgives.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm not gonna take a chance on a Christmas order...too late in the game. But my brother's birthday is coming up in March...or maybe I can just get it, post-Christmas, and give it to him.

Or maybe I'll see one somewhere 'round before Christmas. There's always a chance, isn't there?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II, I think we'll pass on the YouTube videos, especially if all they are is commercials (and poorly done ones at that).

Thank you, anyway.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On "seasonal"...I find it more of a "clothing" thing and less of an any-other-product thing...but down here in Florida it's impossible to find a really good warm sweater.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was perusing my copy of The World Almanac and Book of Facts: 2010---I get a new copy every year 'round the time it comes out, which is usually November or December---and I ran across this fact. Pages 44-45 are "Historical Anniversaries, 2010," covering things that happened one hundred years ago, fifty years ago, and twenty-five years ago. This time around the dates are 1910, 1960, and 1985, respectively.

On page 45 under "1985 - 25 Years Ago," there's an entry for "Literature." They list seven titles, among them Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game

To find that title listed there, among the other titles, amuses me no end, and I felt the need to share it with all of you.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

but they are extreamly funny. or so i thought.

RFW2nd

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Our kitten/cat (newest family member) has stripped all of the ornaments from our Christmas Tree. 3 times. All we have now is a star on top that flashes from green to blue. You'd think it'd be green and red, huh?
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Has the kitten/cat knocked the tree over yet?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

We gave up putting stringy tinsel on our Christmas trees because our first cat---well, I'd better omit the details. You never know how scatological humor will go over...
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Has the kitten/cat knocked the tree over yet?

The tree is in a corner, guarded closely by two pieces of a sectional sofa--so closely it can't fall--but the little b@st@rd get it a-rockin' like it's in the midst of a tornado. He's at the age between kitten and adult that consists mostly of yowling, spontaneous spaz attacks and biting-and-clawing everything paper-related.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I found a single sentence in Moby Dick - Melville, that has 234 words in it!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
unregistered

Query; What do hamster feet smell like again?
genevive42
Member # 8714

I know what mouse feet smell like, but it's a secret.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
IB, solution to your problem. Spray bottle full of water. When the tiny-terror on four legs even looks at the tree squirt away!
The water won't hurt it but the negative reinforcement does wonders. A half a dozen soakings should do the trick.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Snapper, we've tried it. The thing likes water--actually jumps in the tub!

It's all Marie Antionette's fault.

dougsguitar
unregistered

Hey... how doya do those cool lookin quote bar thingys?

Edit; Uhhm... please!

[This message has been edited by dougsguitar (edited December 15, 2009).]

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.