Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 36)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Down here in Florida, "freezing" is somewhere between fifty and sixty degrees.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a friend living in Cairo, they put on sweaters when it drops below 90f.

It really sucks when your vacuum at work stops sucking so all you're doing is wetting the floor.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, vacuums suck.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
When we lived in West Virginia, I heard that they'd shut down school for any snowfall because the school busses couldn't get into the "hollers."

When we lived in Texas, we heard that snow was coming one winter, and I was very excited. But it didn't get as far south as we were (Victoria--halfway between Houston and Corpus Christi).

The north is the only place where they know how to deal with snow, which, I suppose, is logical.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

My rule for driving in the snow: if I see a non-4WD vehicle with tags from anywhere farther south than New York, I stay away from it at all costs.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Vacuums also blow.

For the record, it's snowed twice down here in Florida in the thirty-plus years I've been here. Neither time was it enough to accumulate on the ground.

It was forty-five here this morning when I got up.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
It really sucks when the vacuum blows out where it's supposed to be sucking. Especially when it's a carpet extractor and what it's shooting out is black water.

The other day I was driving in a snowstorm and I saw an out of state license plate, I gave them a bunch of room. (Even 4wd is pointless if you don't know how to use it.) Then I laughed at myself when I pulled up behind them at a red light and I read the plate, "Calgary."

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Also down here in Florida, I find it a common experience on the roads that, when a little rain starts to fall---very little rain---people forget how to drive. People go twenty-five in forty-five-em-pee-aitch zones, cut in and out of (and in front of) oncoming traffic, and get all into a tizzy when they hydroplane on the wet surfaces. (I've hydroplaned so many times that dealing with it is all reflexes and no panic.)
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Crank - you forgot the other half of the rule. If you see a 4WD vehicle with a tag from anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line, you should probably stay away from that, too. Every time it snows in VA, I go out to see the ditches full of SUVs whose drivers thought that 4WD gave them the power to stop even if the road is sheet ice. (And no, none of them have chains - just their normal tires.)

We got 2+ feet of snow last week for Christmas. They only finished plowing the streets outside my house yesterday, because someone finally crashed into the 7-foot pile of snow they left in the middle of the intersection.

My house has no heat right now. We're discussing the logistics of draining the pipes so they don't freeze. Fingers crossed this gets fixed before everything shuts down for New Year's!

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I couldn't think of "draining the pipes" as anything more than turning the water off from the outside and then opening all the taps inside the house. Water's in there under a lot of pressure and water expands when it freezes---hence, burst pipes.

But bear with me on this. Here in sunny Florida, turning the water off to fix the plumbing might be considerably different than draining them out to avoid freezing in them. Somebody who knows what he talks about should be telling you this---if there's anybody out there reading this, enlighten all of us.

Kitti
Member # 7277

No, you're right on the actual physical process. I was more thinking about the logistics of what we do when we no longer have water for the house....
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

@ Kitti

The reason I 'forgot' the second half of the rule is because I am a living violation of it. I live in Manassas, learned to drive in Maryland (both locations are below the Mason-Dixon line), and I had a blast driving my 4WD Xterra in that deep pre-C-mas snow. In fact, I was recruited by everyone in my house to run errands that day.

quote:
Every time it snows in VA, I go out to see the ditches full of SUVs whose drivers thought that 4WD gave them the power to stop even if the road is sheet ice.

You remind me of me. I'm honored.

Driving in bad conditions is a matter of being honest about your knowledge of basic physics and with your own driving abilities. Ergo, I am not one of those who believe that 4WDs can rewrite the physical property laws of ice. One of the funniest things I've ever seen while behind the wheel was during icy road conditions; an SUV was stuck in a ditch on Rt. 7, wheels straight up. I suspect this guy's ego was the only thing injured in the wipeout.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never driven in snow, or ice.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
As a northerner that drives everywhere, it never ceases to amaze me the mass hysteria everyone below the Ohio river gets when they see gentle white flakes fall from the sky. Hurricanes and Tornados do not generate the type of panic the word 'snow' does for our southern neighbors. Just the threat of snow results in a run on the local grocery store.
Once when I stopped at a gas station in Tennessee, the attendant ask me where I could be possibly going after I used his rest room.
"West," I said, expecting him to ask for a ride or some other form of panhandling.
"Are you crazy?!?" he shouted. "It's suppose to snow. 4 inches!"
"I'll be okay." I replied while looking out at the clear sky.
"See you in the hospital," he sneered back.

Really now. Snow is harmless. Usually it melts in a few hours for you southern folk. Pipes won't freeze until the temp falls into the mid-twenties and it has to stay that way for a good day. Even southern homes have some sort of insulation.
As far as the dangerous roads go, just remember these simple rules (trust me, plenty of northerners forget them every year).

1) At the minimum double the length you would usually allow between cars and slow down. A good rule is 5 under instead of the 5 over most sane people drive.

2) Keep both hands on the wheel. It will be easier for you to feel your tires slipping if you do. When your car begins to skid (it will at some point) for god sakes, Don't Panic!. Keep your feet away from the pedals. No brake or gas. Once you feel your tires grab dry ground again, do what you need to do to straighten your vehicle.
Almost everyone has experienced hydro-planeing before. Sliding on ice is a lot like that except it happens slower yet you have less control. It can feel like your sliding forever when it happens too. When this happens think of your tires as rudders. You can effect which way you go if you keep this in mind.

3) If you do run off the road, don't freak. Snow will cushion an impact (if there is enough). If you over steer you can flip your car. This is more likely to happen if you drive a vehicle with a higher center of gravity like a van. Aim for the 45 degree angle of the embankment and ride it out. Don't worry, someone will tow you out. If all you did was slide off the road it will be unlikely your car will be damaged. You will only have lost time a bit money to get pulled out (unless you good samaritian pulls you out for free )

4) Wind is a bigger threat than ice. A gust at the right time will shove you into a tale spin. If this happens don't hit the brake! Use your tires as rudders and steer with the spin. Once you hit dry pavement you can pull yourself right out of the 360 like nothing happened. Only your eardrums will be damaged from the screaming of your passengers.
One other warning about wind and ice. You may be driving past a truck, cruising like there is nothing wrong at all, then once you get past his nose it feels like god himself decided to make you fear him once again. If you feel the need to pass a slow moving truck be aware of this danger and brace yourself for a push from the side. If your ready for it you might be okay.

5) Watch for the ice! If the black top looks blacker than usual its ice. If it shines at night, its ice. Ironically, driving on snow is safer than black top sometimes. Snow grips, its only when it gets compacted that it gets slippery.

6) Learing to drive in snow will earn you the respect of your fellow drivers.
Really, they'll think your a superhero seeing you handle your car without the slightest bit of fear in your eyes. You'll even laugh at all the idiots piled in the medium when you go by. If you really want to be a superstar, carry a shovel and salt/sand/ or Kitty litter in your car. If you display coolness under pressure and show that you are prepard for this horrible crisis, people will actually believe that you are someone to be looked up to. You could even run for office. It's how Al Gore got started.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited December 30, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Snapper you should write a book about driving in the winter.

Kitti just leave some water running. A trickle from a single faucet should keep the water moving through the pipes. (It takes a lot more cold to freeze flowing water.) That way you still have water.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Kitti, I second what Pyre Dynasty said. That's the way we deal with the risk of pipes freezing here on the "Wasatch Front" (the side of the Rocky Mountains that the storms from the north Pacific hit first).
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Kitti,
I find myself a bit more concerned that you have no heat! Good luck with that one. I'll have warm thoughts on your behalf...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

We got the heat back up and running late last night - just in time to beat the holiday weekend shutdown.

It's snowing again and I have to hit the road. I pray thee, stay home all ye weak of knowledge in driving physics! :-)

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
We're not there yet but I know most of you will reach it before I do. So:

Happy New Year!!!

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I neglected to mention to watch out for the hot water heater...but if your heat is back up, everything should be okay. (Gas or electric?)

Of me and my two brothers, I'm the only one who spent a whole winter driving through snow. They're a year younger than me; they got their licenses in the spring and we moved in September.

I'll never forget getting stuck at the turn onto Spackenkill Road...or being unable to get home because I couldn't get traction on any of the hills that led into our neighborhood...or driving in a whiteout. (The first two of these were on the same day, come to think of it.)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On the other hand, having a car meant I could go to the bookstore when I wanted, and by myself, and not when someone would take me. Rain or sleet or dark of night...
dougsguitar
unregistered

Kitti -
Kitti
Member # 7277

Happy New Year, y'all.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

May your 2010 be an improvement on all things 2009.
Crank
Member # 7354

@ Kitti
Glad to hear you got your heat situation taken care of.

quote:
May your 2010 be an improvement on all things 2009.

Thank you. I agree, and wish that for everyone!

S!
S!

dougsguitar
unregistered

I hope everyone had as great a time as I for News Years Eve. My friends and I met at our studio and played music for several hours. The whole world was lost to us for a bit (music induced!) as 2009 unfolded with all the joy and strife, the struggle and the gain, the loss of friends and brothers and the irretrievable passing of time. We reflected on these things through a twenty-five minute jam that morphed from blues to rock to some squirelly sounding jazz/fusion and ended with more than one of us misty-eyed. We played every single song we could think of... which was a lot. Today I am fully charged with energy and I am looking forward to 2010. I hope that each of us is able to make some gain on that mountain we all climb, that goals and dreams are fulfilled and that moments of joy define our daily lives...
Peace! Doug

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I tried to sleep through the New Year's celebrations, but somebody somewhere in the neighborhood set off some firecrackers, and that noise woke me up. Nobody held a party close enough to hear...firecracker noise carries a good deal further than a drunken orgy.
snapper
Member # 7299

November 7th
Post 1562 of this thread

quote:
This thread is slowing a bit. What will come first? Jan 1st 2010 or post 2010?

We weren't even close.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 01, 2010).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I held up my end. Maybe next year the rest of you can try harder.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Dang, I wish I had remembered. I would have spent the 30th spammming my fingers off to make it to 2010. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to hope we make it to post 2011 before 2011.

A new decade and all I have to show for it is a sack of letters.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 367th Birthday Sir. Isaac Newton. the man who changed Science.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Wow, Newtie shares a birthday with my Dad. I'm pretty sure that guy knew how to divide by zero. (Newton, not my Dad.) Alchemists could do all sorts of things they didn't share with the rest of us.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Well, I finally saw NAPOLEON DYNAMITE for the first time yesterday. I laughed, but I suspect it was in all the wrong places.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've heard good things about it, but haven't watched it. True of a lot of movies, actually.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
With NAPOLEON DYNAMITE, there are no wrong places.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
The 3rd was my birthday, and I spent it in the emergency room for half the day - my 80-pound dog mistook my pinky finger for a chew toy.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Ooh, yuck! Sorry to hear that, philocinemas. Hope it heals completely.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Chauck Norris must have never had passed 3rd grade math
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I knew Chuck Norris was an alchemist! (I knew a guy who was Chuck Norris's bodyguard. We once had a conversation outside, on metal chairs, in the middle of a massive thunderstorm. The guy didn't even flinch as the shockwaves washed over us. He also taught martial arts to the police, not in the friendly way.)

I agree there is no wrong time to laugh at Napolean Dynamite. That's what it's there for. Now 2001 Space Odyssey, that's the movie where I laugh at the wrong places.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I just downloaded a free audiobook copy of Crime and Punishment into my Zune. It is twenty-five hours long. I figured if I'm going to get a free book with a trial membership (at audible.com) I should make it a biggie. With my commute it will take me about two weeks to get through.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I can't say I've laughed at a movie intended not to be funny (unless you count Plan Nine from Outer Space.) I have had the exact opposite reaction---I've sat through some sketches and newsbreaks of "SNL," things intended to be funny, that didn't even put a smile on my face, much less a laugh out of my gut.

Kinda extends backwards, too...I've got the first five seasons of "SNL" on DVD, looking for the bits I like (and finding them, and laughing), but a lot of it left me just as cold as its latter-day incarnation. Did I really think Al Franken was funny?

ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy belated Birthday Philo, and Happy Birthday to me! I will watch carefully so that my dog doesn't get a hold of my fingers today.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

SNL is still on the air?!

Their presidential election-based skits were always amusing to me. I still remember, during a rather intense pre-calc exam in college, mumbling Will Ferrell's quote as George W, just loud enough for some of my classmates to hear: "Strategery." Our concentration level sank quite a bit after that. The professor glared around the class to find out where all the snickering was coming from, but realized what section of the class was involved, then went back to his book without a word.

S!
S!

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Denying nightmares won't prevent sleep violence. So, what's an effective way to prevent nightmares?
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Insomnia?

No one can tell me that Plan 9 From Outerspace wasn't meant to be funny.

No one can ever know the true soul of their shoe.

snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
No one can ever know the true soul of their shoe.

You can if you are a heel.

RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
It's surprisingly annoying and difficult to brush your teeth while your nose is completely clogged up. Don't breathe in the toothpaste.
Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

We're gonna have a really big shoe here.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

"Dang, if you didn't like my Mad About Shoe sketch you're really gonna hate the NYPD Shoe one, it's pretty much the same thing but with more cursing." --Krusty the Clown.

Oh wait this isn't the movie quotes thread.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.