Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 38)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
some have asked me for info on my kind(Werewolves) in the past,

i just found the best sight with most of the facts in one place.

http://yaiolani.tripod.com/handbook.htm

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
PS:

thank you KDW.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

dose anyone know what comic they cot the this pic of man-wolf?

i have looked on every art/comic page i know and could not find anythinng.

http://yaiolani.tripod.com/furry.htm

thanks

RFW2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...when it went to Page 38, the "38" wound up on another line in my window...I'll stretch the window and see what happens...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, just a factor of my window size...I can squish it all the way over and get the page numbers on several lines...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, a little exercise, a lot of sun and I think things are back on track. I made friends with a squirrel at the park yesterday. She was taking stuff right from my hand.

I think I just needed to recharge my solar batteries.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have a question,
Do you find that knowing too much about an artist affects you're ability to appreciate the art?
I have notice in the past that when an artist (for me this means musicians, writers and actors) does or says something that I find extremely disagreeable or offensive, I have a hard time enjoying their music/books/movies.
Other people have told me that I shouldn't let the person interfere with the art, but I have a hard time separating the two.
Because of this I rarely try to find information about artists. I have even turned off the TV or stopped reading a magazine/newspaper when one of them started talking about something I might not like.
I have only recently started going to writers websites and reading blogs for fear of this.
So, does anyone else have this problem?

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My art never got past high-school art class...but with music, I found my appreciation for it grew after I learned to play a few different instruments, in particular the guitar.

Writing? To a certain extent, doing influenced my appreciation of, but it was a more gradual process.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
"The two of you have more brains than a Zombie Thanksgiving."
~Better off Ted

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
jayazman, I have the same issue. If I personally dislike an artist I have trouble enjoying their work.

I actually work in place where we get a lot of celebrity clients. There are some I can't stand to watch and some that I like better because I know they are a nice person.

If they don't do anything terribly offensive I try not to let it interfere but if they're extremely rude they can ruin a movie for me.

It just goes to show that no matter how big and important someone is they shouldn't forget basic manners.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
dose anyone know what comic they cot the this pic of man-wolf?

Probably the Marvel comics involving John Jameson (Man-Wolf).

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

i am no zombie but mummmm brains

RFW2nd

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I made friends with a squirrel at the park yesterday. She was taking stuff right from my hand.

Many years ago, while I was working at a group home for troubled children, one of the kids tried to pet a squirrel. It bit him and he had to undergo a couple of months of rabies shots. BE CAREFUL WITH SQUIRRELS - they look cute and cuddley, but they can be vicious little creatures up close (of course that also describes some children).

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The artist thing is big for me, but I try not to let it be. I can't read a Percy Shelly poem because I know how much of a jerk he was to Mary. (As in Frankenstein Mary Shelly.)
I also just learned that Lewis Carrol had a hobby of Photography, his favorite subject: nude children. It's going to be hard for me to get through Alice in Wonderland now.
But I really want it to not affect me, especially when the person is dead. (If they are alive I don't want to support their lifes, like I celebrated Micheal Jackson's death by buying a Beatles CD.)

And in defense of randomness: Bjork!

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Thanks philocinemas, I appreciate your concern.

I will tell you that this squirrel took the food from me very carefully. I also made sure that it was a large enough piece where my fingers wouldn't be too close to her teeth. I was actually surprised when she came all the way up to me. And I certainly would never try to pick one up or pet it.

But I also have a lot of experience with animals. We had a large variety of pets when I was growing up, including hamsters and rabbits (and dogs and birds and lizards and fish and frogs). And I currently have mice. So I feel I have a little understanding of critters. There is something to be said for knowing how to approach them.

[This message has been edited by genevive42 (edited January 16, 2010).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I can't think of anybody who I heartily dislike whose work I still manage to like. Usually it's dislike them, dislike their work. (Streisand falls into this---I felt this way long before politics entered the equasion, so it's not that.)

A lotta ones I admired (and admire) are among those who, I belatedly realized, behaved like jerks, or were seriously wrong-headed about one thing another. (Asimov and Heinlein, and all four Beatles, have done lots of things I disapprove of.) It hasn't affected my opinion of their work---or, at least, I don't think it has.

Of course I don't know any of these people personally---which would make or break the relationship.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many people in Hollywood and in the music industry I do not particularly like regarding morals or politics, but I enjoy their movies or songs. It's the same way with art; I really love Salvador Dali's work, but he seems to have been very flakey and I don't like what I've read about him. I feel the same about several authors, past and present.

However, I tend to be able to overlook things I do not like about individuals and try to relate to them in other ways. Some of my past and present clients have done some very bad things, but I focus on what they are doing now or at least are trying to do. My chess partner in college was very liberal and I was very conservative. We often had political and philosophical debates while battling on black and white squares, but we were always respectful to one another and ended our games and debates with proper amiableness.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Is "that'd" pronounced like "that-ud", like "that-tid", or like "thad"?

*Edit: Nevermind! I say "thad" for "that would". I guess I hadn't seen the contraction before.

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited January 16, 2010).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It's said that Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda nearly busted up their friendship when they started arguing about politics---till they agreed one day never to discuss politics with each other again---and their friendship lasted till the end.

Politics is hardly the only subject that will get on people's nerves---but, of late, in the USA, it seems to be the main one. Probably it's because the outcome of politics is so important...

rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, I don't let my dislike of an artist interfere with enjoying their work...

HOWEVER

There are two writers whose work I will not buy any longer. One because he doesn't like me and I don't like him. The second one is a little different as I had no idea what kind of guy he was til I visited his message board. That was an eye-opener. It also made me rethink his attitudes in his novels as I think he's allowed his personal issues to interfere with his work.

I think it's easier to ignore an artist's faults when he or she is dead (Carroll), but it's harder to do so when the artist is alive.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

I LIKE PIE!

RFW2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
I think it's easier to ignore an artist's faults when he or she is dead (Carroll), but it's harder to do so when the artist is alive.

In a limited extent. On one hand, most of the "fault" I've found with Asimov and Heinlein has come after they're dead, some of it through changes in my own opinions, but some of it from finding they'd engaged in certian, er, "activities" that I thoroughly disapprove of. (Not the same ones in each case.)

They're hardly the only deceased writers who've done that, either. Recently it was put about in the SF world that Lester Del Rey (y'know, of Del Rey Books) shoveled with both hands about his life before he came into the SF community. The ultimate effect on me was to diminish him in my eyes.

I suppose some of it is a byproduct of my own growth (or my going from youth to middle-age). Once they seemed like gods to me, and now they seem like men---and maybe lesser men at that.

On the other hand---I bet you thought I forgot about the other hand, didn't you?---I don't share the same political belief system or opinions as the still-living-as-of-at-least-a-few-days-ago Frederik Pohl. But my high regard for him as a writer and editor hasn't shifted any, and I regularly read his website blogging, no matter what point on the political spectrum his opinion may be coming from.

I like cake, but I hate pie.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, we've finally had the same conversation twice. (By the way Cake > Pie.)

The most interesting couple I've ever know used to live next door. One was a strait laced Mormon the other a chain smoking Methodist. They could discuss nearly everything with each other. (And they disagreed on nearly everything.) The one thing they could not discuss was the Vietnam war. She protested against it and he volunteered for the army. Every time it came up they got divorced for about a year then got back together. (It's happened about four times.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Musically speaking; a very high percentage of performers, especially the really famous ones are real jerks and are into the freakiest things. Jaco Pastorious was known as one of the best bassists ever, but a colossal jerk to work with. When I listen to Joni Mitchell, Hejira (Jaco on Bass) I have no clue about Jaco's irritable personality. But then his socio-political-religious beliefs don't come through either. I tend to part company when someone tries to dominate/over-throw my beliefs using their art form as a bludgeoning device. But I am very willing to give anyone as much voice as I take for myself, artistically or otherwise. For what that is worth...

[This message has been edited by dougsguitar (edited January 19, 2010).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Wow, we've finally had the same conversation twice.

Actually, after being here, what is it, four years now, I've used up most of my "A" material and have wound up repeating myself. How many different ways can I say that I'm suspicious of the Scientologists and don't submit to the WotF for that reason? Or that I've read and liked a lot of Orson Scott Card's work, but the "Ender" series is not among them?

aspirit
Member # 7974

Robert, how about you skim through a copy of Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, or Ender's Shadow sometime? Then you can no longer say you've avoided the novels.

As I recall, your suspicions of the Scientologists running WOTF arose because of junk mail received after either joining the WOTF mailing list or submitting a story. Interestingly, the rest of us haven't noticed a correlation. What happened to your Inbox could have been a coincidence or the result of someone stealing email addresses.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Junk mail is hardly the only reason I'm suspicious of Scientologists...

...and I did read the original of "Ender's Game" when it appeared in Analog all those years ago...reread it a few years later (but still a long time ago now) when I went on an Orson Scott Card kick and reread everything of his I could (then) lay my hands on...but still didn't care for it...

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Not everyone likes the same things. <shrug>
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I'm suspicious of Scientologists because they jump on couches. Jump on couches one day, and the next day everyone's wearing Nike's and jumpsuits and drinking pink lemonade. See the correlation?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we find something other than a religion to discuss here, please?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

GUNS!!. i like to use them, Big Guns, Small Guns, Future Guns, Old Guns, Stupid Guns,all kinds of guns, and Ruck Marching, Mountain Tossing, Mountain Blasting, Supper Repelling, Parachuting, Volleyball, and Death Blossoms. i make chuck e cheese like he!!

man i am so stoned

what am i?

RFW2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I don't carry a gun around because I might be tempted to use it.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

i carry a gun just to use. on what or who i will not say. but they start with a H and end with a i and the second starts with a A and ends with s. you fill in the blanks

RFW2nd

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Don't you mean "weapon", soldier?
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

well i concider many thing weapons, it is not legle to carry a sword everywere even with a permit.

and most Civies understand gun better than Weapon

RFW2nd

aspirit
Member # 7974

As I was told, swords are legal in more U.S. locations than guns are. Most places don't even offer a permit to carry one.

I carry around a dull sword now and again and may in the future walk around in public with a sharpened blade, so I guess I should research local law. Rommel, as you're moving to my region, I'll let you know what I learn.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, a guy who advocates drugs that has lots of guns.

You must be a Libertarian.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Somewhere I read something about somebody being busted for carrying a concealed weapon because the sword was in the scabbard. (This happens in Heinlein's Glory Road, but I remember somewhere seeing it applied for real.)

I believe in Japan swords are regulated as strictly as guns---given how sharp a Japanese swords is, I don't find it surprising.

I should say, especially after what I said yesterday, that I don't own a gun. I'm all for the right to keep and bear arms, but I just don't own any. I could, but I don't want to.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

There is some haunting chanting coming from the hall, I think they've come for me. If I don't come back in ten minutes . . . it probably means I'm doing something interesting.

In Highschool I made a sword in the metal shop. I never actually took it home, I wonder if it's still sitting there in the back room. I did use it once for a presentation in mythology, but when I walked through the halls with it I got the most fantastic looks. Now I want that thing, blasted social anxiety.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out my friend made it to the second round on American Idol.

I'm so freakin excited!!!!!!!!

!~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey great news Sheena, I've been catching a few minutes of the tryouts on TV down here and it always amazes me how great the gap is between the really bad and the really talented. Glad your friend is on the upside of that scale - whatever happens now they know they're at a level they can work from.

As for guns, and irrespective of political views, I've often thought about something my dad once said: Only carry a gun if you're prepared to have it used against you.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

quote.... Hmmm, a guy who advocates drugs that has lots of guns.
You must be a Libertarian. end quote

no i am a Fascists Socialistic Imperialistic Republican, i hate everyone well humans that is.

my blood has turned to booze. i wish my face will turn to booze. then my blood can drink my face.

RFW2nd

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

ok i just did some internet searches for sword laws and found this

http://www.articlesbase.com/martial-arts-articles/swords-legality-in-the-united-states-and-canada-643964.html

RFW2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Any of my buddies ever get famous? Well, I gather one of my old grade school / middle school chums is now Congressional Budget Office director...I suppose that's as famous as any of 'em got. Previously it was always somebody a couple of years before or a couple of years after.

Somehow I always hoped it would be me who got famous...

aspirit
Member # 7974

quote:
Only carry a gun if you're prepared to have it used against you.
I completely agree.

I talked to a police officer yesterday about my city's sword laws. He told me any blade--regardless of sharpness--over three and a half inches must not be concealed. Sheathing counts as concealment (which surprised me). Also, anything that "alarms the public", at the determination of the responding police officer(s), is illegal. My city isn't as lenient as I'd thought.

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so exciting Sheena!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

before lobotomy, after lobotomy.

both people look alike but one is over 60now and the other is 22.

http://rommelwolf2nd.deviantart.com/art/Before-and
-after-151165402

RFW2nd

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Gene Roddenberry's forgotten show to be revived

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/dailydish/detail?entry_id=55840

RFW2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

What, another one?
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I Just changed my password at Hatrack so I could remember it better - this is just a test.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.