Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 42)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The Joker is wild.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, this time, I kicked it over to the next page...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Robert.

Did anyone else hear about the flash fiction contest Podcastle is doing?

[This message has been edited by jayazman (edited March 17, 2010).]

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=10033946&cat=272&lpid=4

This has got to be fodder for a story.
Someone is selling a time machine.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Ad #10033946 not found!

Somebody bought it, then went back in time and removed the ad?

shimiqua
Member # 7760

What! Oh dang. It was pretty awesome.

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited March 18, 2010).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
It was taken down because some guy named Adam claimed he already had a patent on the thing.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The problem with a time machine is your future self keeps coming back and warning you not to do something you want to do 'cause it was a disaster.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Nowall, sounds like a story idea to me.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Tried it once..."The Revisionist Version," I called it...couldn't get it to gell...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Belatedly...

I realized the other day that the first anniversary of this thread was over a month ago. Geez, we didn't even acknowledge it when it passed...

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Does xkcd frequent this forum? The current comic on his site is "Time Machine".

http://xkcd.com/716/

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah the existential beauty of XKCD. I built a time machine at first though I could only get it to go forward in time, then I called it a recliner and made a bunch of money. Then I had enough to build a real time machine. I toured the whole of human history, who was the first female president of the USA? Abraham Lincoln and I'm very sorry.

Wow random musings for a year? this recliner thing really works.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"No more time travel for me, it gives me the runs."

---Sam Kinison, on "Married With Children."

shimiqua
Member # 7760

My teeth hurt.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I haven't been to the dentist in almost thirty years. Most of those teeth I've still got also hurt.
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
man, I can't wait until they find a way grow teeth in a lab (using a mold cast of the bad tooth, of course) - i want teeth implants when i'm 60! Hah! no dentures for me...I hope.

Sigh. you know you're getting old when you start daydreaming of cool dental advances.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I've been piggibacking a temporary filling for the past month or so. It only hurts every couple of days, I really need to get into a dentist, I just freeze up when I try to call for an appointment. I have a resistance to pain medications, so no matter how much they pump in it wears off way too fast and the pain is nearly unbearable.

On a lighter note the other day I saw a engineer's walk of shame. I was cleaning the halls and this guy came past with a cart jam packed with cables of some sort, it was so heavy he was struggling to push it, and he was a bigger guy than me, and I'm a big guy.
Then about an hour later I saw him walking the same direction with two or three cables, his head hanging down.

BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, these musings aren't random, or mine, but...

“From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.”
– Groucho Marx

"Success is a finished book, a stack of pages each of which is filled with words. If you reach that point, you have won a victory over yourself no less impressive than sailing single-handed around the world."
--Tom Clancy

“From my close observation of writers...they fall into two groups: 1) those who bleed copiously and visibly at any bad review, and 2) those who bleed copiously and secretly at any bad review.”
--Isaac Asimov

"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger."
--Franklin Jones

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
--Elbert Hubbard

Shamelessly stolen from Yarn Harlot

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Heinlein's The Door Into Summer had a way of "reworking" teeth---in the years 2000 / 2001. Another thing SF prediction of 2001 has let me down on. Look what well-known work had happening in 2001...look what didn't happen...look what did...
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
man, I can't wait until they find a way grow teeth in a lab (using a mold cast of the bad tooth, of course)

I think this has been available for years. The current challenge for scientists is to reliably grow replacement teeth in the person's mouth.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm didn't know that - I cant seem to find it online - do you have a link I can follow?

Heck growing teeth within my gums...i dunno, I don't want to wait years for them to grow.

I'd rather they reconnect the nerves - but that's a lot of surgery...

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
BenM, now why would you be reading the Yarn Harlot's blog?

(I check it every so often because I'm a knitter, and I'm trying to learn how to spin consistently useful yarn besides.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

Hey, guys can knit too...

http://craftivism.com/blog.html/2010/02/soldiers-knitting-1918/
http://craftivism.com/blog.html/2010/02/soldiers-knitting-part-2/

But, full disclosure: I came across Yarn Harlot via a local SF author's blog.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
Hey, guys can knit too...

And I was, more or less, asking if you were one of them.

Jessica Day George's YA novel PRINCESS OF THE MIDNIGHT BALL has a main character who is a soldier who knits, and his knitting is crucial to the story.

BenM
Member # 8329

No, my cloth-related arts & crafts were limited to hook rugs and batik. And since then the attraction of wasting time on the internet makes it hard enough to sit still and write, let alone do all the other arts that I used to so enjoy. (I wonder, were I a teenager today, whether I would have still do those oil paintings, or paint those model planes, or do all those drawings or write all those stories...)
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I remember working on a hook rug when I was in grade school...seemed relaxing enough, but it seemed too much of a collaborative effort for my tastes. I never pursued the matter further after that. But I liked the way it looked and felt afterwards. (Didn't take much in those days to satisfy me, just a rug and the occasional SF magazine or book.)
billawaboy
Member # 8182

Only crafts I remember doing was when I had to make a paper mouchee of an animal in the 9th grade. And...I remember someone had glued my textbook to the table. The entire front cover was lost. And *I* had to pay for the damages at the end of the year.

Oh, I really really hope karma exist.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Emerson Cod from Pushing Daisies was a knitting private Eye. I wish that show was still being made.

I envy how much time my nieces spend on their art.

billawaboy
Member # 8182

Loved that show. It was one of the best - that was a show you actually sat back and admired how good it was. I think it inspired storytellers to what was still possible with writing as well as with TV.

Hope they make a movie to finish off the story. They should have been given that chance, at least.

billawaboy
Member # 8182

You know Chi Mcbride is on Human Target now? That too is a really well developed well-written show. It has Jackie Earle Haley (Rorschach in Watchmen) in an awesome role!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I haven't caught much in primetime in years...working the night shift kills "just catching something"...I spend a lot of time looking at cartoons, the newer variety that pop up on the Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Discovery Kids, and their associated networks. (There's been a lack of anything really good---or anything appealing to me, which isn't necessarily the same thing.)

Of course there's video releases. You've heard me mention "my latest timewaster"---"Star Trek: The Original Series," Seasons One and Two, on Blu-Ray. (They were on sale at Best Buy two weeks ago.) I've been kind of off "Star Trek" for some time---haven't seen the new movie yet, and the rest of it kind of wore out its welcome---but going through these reminded me just how much fun the Original Series was.

I remember working with clay a lot at our school. Must've done somebody some good---one of my classmates heads up the Congressional Budget Office right now. (Yeah, I've mentioned it before...I'm torn between letting myself be eaten up with jealousy and envy, and being grateful it's him and not me.)

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
one of my classmates heads up the Congressional Budget Office right now

Any chance he can get those books balanced for us?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Haven't heard from him since we graduated.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I do seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time thinking about my former classmate, come to think of it...
shimiqua
Member # 7760

I think American Idol is dying.
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
I think American Idol is dying.

Can't happen fast enough, IMHO.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Never cared much for it. I suppose it's a good entry into showbiz (like WoTF is for SF writing)...but I thought it put a lot of talented people through the wringer by making them work with material and musical genres when their talents lay elsewhere. Play to your strengths, plaster over your weaknesses.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Remember to fill in and mail your 2010 Census forms, which are due today...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, "due" may be too strong a word...but you gotta know who's living where on April First, 2010, and you can't know that for sure until today. You can mail it in any time before the end of April...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

But if they know where I was on the first of April 2010 then they will know where to find me when they build that time machine.

Of course the time machine will turn (has turned) out to be like the flying saucer or Bigfoot. It seemed like a good idea in the planning stages but upon execution it turns out to be an embarrassingly silly waste of materials and time. Our only hope afterward is for most people to not believe it so the few who do are seen as the embarrassingly silly ones. I win!

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Remember back in September when I spent a week lamenting that I didn't get paid when I was supposed to...damned if they didn't do it again today!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Didn't get paid again today. Even if I got the check (or a money order cut to order), I couldn't do anything with it until Monday morning. I was told someone would be in to cut fresh money orders, but also that that person wouldn't be in until nine---I leave work at six-thirty and there's no way I'd either (a) hang around that long, or (b) make a special trip out there. It's their screw-up---they can accomodate me.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

No check today, but I couldn't'a cashed it today anyway.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

No check today either, and a two-day layoff, my weekend on Tuesday and Wednesday, before I go in again. Also no explanation---but last time they told us what amounted to a big heaping pile of lies.
snapper
Member # 7299

This thread is slowing down again.

Just found a new magazine. Giganotosaurus. They publish bigger than short but smaller than novels.

http://giganotosaurus.org/submission-guidelines/

A niche for a thin market.

Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Thanx, snapper! I've got two stories that fit that word count range.

Oh...this is supposed to be a 'random' thread.

Uh...

I'm out of Easter jelly beans, and my kids have hidden their baskets.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I should be vacuuming right now. There is still Easter basket grass on the floor and Thursday is my vacumming day.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Thanx, snapper! I've got two stories that fit that word count range

Go for it! Hope you do better than I. My 14000 word masterpiece got a rejection 3 hours after I sent it. I thanked her for her promptness and promised more from me in the future.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Thought I'd scared off people with my financial woes...didn't last time, but you never know...

By the way, another Friday has rolled around---no check, no word, no money have I none. A promise of a money order fell through, though I'm promised it for tomorrow.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.