Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 61)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. Brown!

I've missed you and Ida. Toss her a sheep for me!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/53696077/stormtrooper-regrets-those-were-the?utm_source=OpenGraph&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

This makes me happy.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
It was like magic when my parent's got their C-pap machines. They were suddenly colorful and energetic. I didn't realize how gray they were before(I mean their skin). I probably have sleep apnea, and should probably break down and get treatment for it, but I never did like doctors.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

You know how hard it is to come up with names for your characters?

http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2011/10/02

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that the truth.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

shimiqua you got me curious is that something you did, Mrs. Brown or something you just threw in?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Thought I would throw this in here too since not everyone reads every thread.

Free E-book. Kindle or Nook.

For more info

http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=5623#comments

Kristine Grayson "Wickedly Charming" Novel.

Even though it looks like a romance I will give it a try. It's a top writer after all and it's free. One thing though I will wait 'till I get my Nook fired up but I've always wondered if I "buy" a book with my desk computer will it still show up on my Nook? Evidently with my desk computer I can access E-books bought with my Nook.

And should we have a thread for free books?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Adieu, or adios, or whatever. I'm going away for a week starting in about three hours, Saturday to Monday after next, and will be incommunicado during the bulk of it.

I am taking my Nook Color, which gives me limited Internet access, and if I can make that work wherever I'm going---which is, as usual, Gainesville to Atlanta to Charlotte to Atlanta to Gainesville to back home---I might be monitoring what's said here.

(I suppose I could try signing on through it, but I haven't figured out how yet, and won't during the trip---unless somebody says something really good and I'm really moved to repsond...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

YOu probably won't read this in time but two things. Have fun or help whoever may need it, or get some good business done as the case might be.

Second: You can get to hatrack through your Nook, and at least a few other places. I've done it. But if you mean there won't be enough WiFi spots, well you can at least use it for what it was made for... reading.

Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Responding will just drive me mad.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm back...just a few hours now...still recovering from it.

But I was able to access the internet while gone, and was able to read what was posted while I was gone. (Checking in here and looking it over was relatively quick...mainly I used it to catch some news and read some online comics.)

I did do some e-reading of my e-books, but, mostly, I read the old-fashioned way. More about that later, over in another forum.

Also I suppose someday I should try to post from my Nook Color, or whatever I'm using in the future...not just yet, though...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Addendum: my computer, or my wireless link, seems to have developed a serious case of the slows while I was gone. I'll have to adjourn, then clean out some stuff, then try again...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

To Robert I have posted here using my Color Nook and I think so has someone else. I've done it only once though. That keyboard makes it a little bit more difficult to write something out. Of course anyone used to texting may be used to something similar.

But my main purpose for this post is a kinda of venting on another subject... okay definite venting.

I went to C. E. Mirphy's site to check on when he next book is due. One thing about her site that bugs me. She is slow to update the book section which is off to the side of her blog. Very nice looking and well done but she's like two books behind, at least with her Walker books. And there is no list for due date for her next one. I had to go to B&N to get the date.

Second, the big one, thing I want to vent about is that she is working on a side book in the Walker series. An adventure from the POV of another character. That's not bad, it will most probably be a very good book but she is doing something called a kickstarter campaign with it. Sounds like she has done it before with another series but She Does Not Explain what a kickstarter campaign is. Evidently it's raising money for the book but why and how much she needs is no where to be found. With more time I may join her forum so I can post comments and ask. She talks like everyone should know already and it seems from a few posts I read that her readers(followers?) do. But there should be some side link to a post that explains it to us newbies.

An aside here on her last post she tells of a writer she loves and how she "weeps" with how good he is at describing characters in one sentence. Even with this problem I described I almost feel that way about her writing. I despair ever being even close to being as good a story teller as she is.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

About twenty-four hours of sporadic work on my computer, trying to figure it out, with a big helping of computer ignorance. Clean out, defrag. Uninstall and reinstall, uninstall and reinstall...first the programs giving me trouble, then the programs I messed up removing the first programs. It seems a little faster but it's still slow.

Right now I'm zeroing in on my wireless connection...think I may have messed it up a month or so ago and it's getting worse.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've confirmed that it's my WiFi set up...I disabled it and pulled out the old cable and connected it up, and there's no problem, no case of the slows, with that...should'a done that in the first place...now I've got to figure out how to fix the wireless things...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Fixed it...I think. On a recommend from the help section of one of the websites, I switched a phone cable from Port Number One to Port Number Two on my high-speed box...my online speed seemed to improve, but I'm torn between "Hey, yeah, good!" and "This can't possibly have anything to do with my problem!"

I will see what happens...and, also, get some replacement cables sometime soon...

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

That was a washout...I'm now zeroing in on either (1) the gizmo I plugged into my computer to link it to a wireless system, or (2) the port I plug the gizmo into. I can replace the gizmo...but replacing the port is likely beyond my capabilities. I'll look into both.

Meanwhile, I'm back to cables...more as it develops.

Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
The All Blacks won the World Cup! Madness in NZ.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Been awhile, of course, but...my computer problems continue unabated. I've given up on using the WiFi link (either of them), 'cause this message square about starting a protected network or somesuch appears. I can't delete it, can't end-program it, can't stop it...I can minimalize it, but it'll pop back sooner or later. And the speed over the WiFi link is still slow...

It might or might not be some feature of my software...a "hotfix" download failed to stop it...I plan to try something else when I get a chance. ("Something else" might involve gettting a whole new computer that can handle this sort of thing.)

And it's just between my computer and the link---my Nook Color still works fine with it.

Also it's just the online stuff that's affected---no known problems with any of my important files, far as I can tell.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Hey, the new boards take you to the page you posted on, rather than Page One...
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Holidays are coming! You have an idea for thoughtful gift for your loved one? Think hard. You don't want to end up in the doghouse
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
"My wife's worth more than a plugged penny."
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So the price is up to a full plugged nickel now?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

And so to wish everybody a happy Thanksgiving.
EVOC
Member # 9381

Happy Thanksgiving.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snapper:
Holidays are coming! You have an idea for thoughtful gift for your loved one? Think hard. You don't want to end up in the doghouse

He should have gotten her a Dyson [Big Grin]
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Tentacles always come from Outside.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
..Except for when they come from the inside.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
We will not speak of such things.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Instead we will talk of shoes and ships and multi-headed crinoid snake monsters from beyond time and space
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There's this online comic I read, with this one character a girl, who sees tentacles every time she sees...well, never mind...
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I see giant monsters in trees and buildings and offshore oil-rigs and thin air...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I see things out of the corner of my eye that aren't there, like, say, someone walking towards me. What I think happens is this: I see something, and I fill in the blanks automatically before the full optical picture hits my brain.

This could be why people see ghosts---darn it!

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Or it could actually BE ghosts...or something.
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

How's this for a writer's hideout?

Just ask for it for Christmas.

http://tinyurl.com/writershideout

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay finally have time for this.

At times I seem to be very out of it. An example

I recall when EMTs got their start after the Vietnam war when they were called paramedics. But somewhere along the way the name changed. I have no idea when or why--well I may have an idea or two on why-- but a quite a while back all of sudden I noticed in newspapers and elsewhere that paramedics where being called EMTs. I said to myself whoa I'm still calling them paramedics when half the country, at least, have changed their name.

I wondered who invented the term EMT and for how long had they been called that but probably will never find out.

Second example:

It took me reading the third article mentioning the term 9/11 that I realized they weren't talking about the emergency phone number. I was a little confused by the first two articles, but I read them very quickly and didn't take the time to examine everything stated. First thing I said to myself was oh yeah it did happen in the ninth month. It could have been only Newspapers but I had the feeling that most people were using the term except for me. I think the paper quoted someone as using that term.

So I will never know but who first used that term and how long had everyone been using it before I realized what it meant?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And it's after Thanksgiving

So Merry Christmas to all.

If you don't celebrate it have a good day anyway... It is still Christmas whether you do or not after all.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Not sure who originated the acronym "EMT," but "emergency medical technician" essentially emerged when it was decided that emergency medicine was a legitimate sub-branch of medical practice---sometime in the 1970s, if the Wikipedia article was accurate.

As I recall, I heard "nine-eleven," referring to the date September 11th, 2001, before the end of the week, somewhere on the news. I think it caught on because of its similarity to "nine-one-one," the emergency phone number.

(Remember, too, that Americans also tend to refer to "the Fourth of July," rather than to "Independence Day," though no other holiday or regular day currently enjoys that exclusivity, far as I can tell...)

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

That may be a thing of "independence days" in general, given that Mexico's is referred to as Cinco de Mayo. Given that there are many "independence days" referring to a given one by it's date may be to help differentiate.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I feel like a hat with no head.
Sometimes I fell like I'm actually dead.
Sometimes I wander endlessly through time.
Sometimes I wonder anomalously about mimes.
Sometimes I hope that there isn't a sword.
Sometimes I hop on my piles of words.
Sometimes I sleep like I'll never again.
Sometimes I slap the wrong side of the pin.
Sometimes I say sometimes too much.
And sometimes I notice that I forgot lunch.

This is one of those times.

I thought staying up all night writing a paper was the worse part of a college career, but I have found a deeper superlative in staying up all night not writing a paper.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Sometimes I snipe slake-moths with a +5 vorpal shock holy longbow of distance and disruption (yes I know neither vorpal nor disruption can be applied to a bow, but I'm just THAT special.)
EVOC
Member # 9381

quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:

I recall when EMTs got their start after the Vietnam war when they were called paramedics. But somewhere along the way the name changed. I have no idea when or why--well I may have an idea or two on why-- but a quite a while back all of sudden I noticed in newspapers and elsewhere that paramedics where being called EMTs. I said to myself whoa I'm still calling them paramedics when half the country, at least, have changed their name.

I wondered who invented the term EMT and for how long had they been called that but probably will never find out.

An EMT, or Emergency Medical Technician, is different from a Paramedic. An EMT is the basic level of Emergency Medical Responder and does not get the same training as a Paramedic. Most Ambulances that respond to emergencies have both a Paramedic and an EMT on them. Basic Life Support units that are taking a person from one hospital to a next may only have two EMTs on the ambulance.

EMT gets 150(ish) hours of training Paramedics get 1200 to 1800 hours training.

The reason EMT has become standard it that most states have certifications as follows EMT-Basic and EMT-Paramedic. Some even have a EMT-Intermediate in the middle.

The news and TV has run with it, so now we all think of EMTs

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Evoc. That surprised me.

A few weeks ago I accidently got a short lesson in EMTs. Someone asked one how long they needed to go to school. The one who answered mentioned there were two types... which surprised me and someone else standing in line... but he called the other one by a different name, not EMT-paramedic. If I recall correctly the one that needed more education was an EMT and the shorter duration one was called something else with letters. I forget what. I might be remembering that backwards and the other one was called an EMTP.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

As last mentioned by me a month ago...today I plugged in my WiFi connector, whatever the hell it's called, and damned if the thing doesn't just work fine right now. The ways of computers are mysterious to me.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Seems like the link lasts a couple of days and then gets slow. Back on the wire.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I've gone to Hotmail today, all I've gotten is a message saying the server might be experiencing a problem. I need my e-mail! I never realize how dependent I am on something until it's not there.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
My company's christmas party was friday night. They gave me quite a surprise and named me employee of the year. Totally unexpected. I was caught completely off guard so was unprepared for my speech. They knew I was a writer, therefore the were expecting something witty. This was my opening remarks.

quote:
...if I had any idea I would be standing up here to give a speech, I would have taken the time to research the internet and plagiarized a good one...
They treated me really well. I got a crystal trophy of a truck proclaiming me "Driver of the year", a leather jacket with my name on it, and a very nice bonus to boot.
I am still stunned. My boss said the vote from the 6 person committee was almost unanimous.

It is a very good night for me indeed.

[ December 11, 2011, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: snapper ]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go!!!
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Congrats snapper. Niiiice.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

They found Star Trek's Enterprise. Must be from one of their trips into their past. [Smile]

http://tinyurl.com/72f7ug3

check out the second picture that starts the video.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.