Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 63)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Did see two, count 'em, two Statue of Liberties out there while going around today. I don't think they look much like the real Statue of Liberty...it's the beards...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a neat book video. In case you haven't seen it that is.

Not sure if the link will take you directly to the video or to the general video page.
Even though the books don't dance as much as advertised.

Dancing Books

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
That's gotta be one of the most elaborate stop-motion animation pieces I've ever seen...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AbbyG
Member # 9737

- posted      Profile for AbbyG   Email AbbyG         Edit/Delete Post 
fun video!
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And I got my new digital SLR canon REBEL T3 camera this evening--my time--, even though I can't do much while the battery is charging I've been reading the instruction book.

Man, got three books--well, two are kinda pamphlets-- and three CDs with it.

I may not be writing as much as I test it out and figure out some of the different things you can do with it. I need to have it all tested when me and my wife go to the coast in about two weeks.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out for rugose tentacles and chitinous pincers.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking of tentacles Guess who has a new book out about them?

In fact I saw two today about our new favorite monster.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Beware the frumious bandersnatch!
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about China Mieville, LD?
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Rats, forget the title of each book. One is an anthology and not sure about the other one. Anyway, both have Cthulhu in the title.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The guy must have his own agent.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Under his control I would assume.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

The other day I saw five Liberties dancing around one intersection. I think they were all wearing red crowns instead of the blue ones.

And further down there was one giving out those red crowns.

Personally I miss the Uncle Sam-s but I assume they didn't go over with the public.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Hmm two new Cthulhu related books I haven't heard of...odd.

But please, instruct your Yithian to keep it's rugose pincers away from my marmoset.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

How many Statues of Liberty can dance on the head of a pin?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
How many Statues of Liberty can dance on the head of a pin?

Depends on the size of the pin.

I think they should have dancing Cthulhus to celebrate tax season, it seems far more appropriate than lady liberty.

Okay, so is it Statue of Liberties or Statues of Liberty?

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I'd say the second.

and, I agree about Cthulhu

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Maybe it's Statue of the Libertines...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

An interesting find that has nothing to do with statues. [Smile]

Ancient popcorn

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Popcorn in Ancient Peru, huh? Wonder what movies they watched while eating it...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Maybe the watched statues running around at their intersections.
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Llamas
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

"Devil" Llamas that can talk?

Hmm, maybe we can all write a story about Llamas. [Smile]

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Lorenzo Lamas?
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey you Cthulhu lovers check this one out.

http://www.freewebs.com/batglynn

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"Danger, Will Robinson, danger!"

It had to be said...for, I gather, Dick Tufeld, the voice of the Robot from "Lost in Space," died recently...

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Doofenshmirtz 1: Do Lamas weird you out?
Doofenshmirtz 2: Yeah, are they camels or sheep?
Doofenshmirtz 1: No, no, I meant Lorenzo.
Doofenshmirtz 2: Oh yeah---
Together: He played Meep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQr_IA3fwU

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

LD, have you actually read any Lovecraft? If not, you must, immediately. Most of his stuff can be found online for free these days.
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyre Dynasty:
Doofenshmirtz 1: Do Lamas weird you out?
Doofenshmirtz 2: Yeah, are they camels or sheep?
Doofenshmirtz 1: No, no, I meant Lorenzo.
Doofenshmirtz 2: Oh yeah---
Together: He played Meep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQr_IA3fwU

I can watch Phineas and Ferb over and over. It always keeps me entertained.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
LD, have you actually read any Lovecraft? If not, you must, immediately. Most of his stuff can be found online for free these days.
I believe I have somewhere along the line. And I have read something about Cithulho. Come to think of it it may have been in a UF anthology I read last year.

Speaking of Llamas, Isn't there a girl's name that starts with Ll?

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Well, there's La Llorona, the weeping woman ghost of various Latin country's folklore.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Most of his stuff can be found online for free these days.

That's because it lapsed into public domain five years ago...

Several in Welsh and Catalan, but the only really well-known ones are male: Lloyd and Llewellyn.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Should'a posted the link to the website I cribbed 'em offa:

http://www.behindthename.com/

...which somebody told me about while here at Hatrack, years ago.

EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
Should'a posted the link to the website I cribbed 'em offa:

http://www.behindthename.com/

...which somebody told me about while here at Hatrack, years ago.

This is very useful sight when I am stuck on a character name or if I want a name with a special meaning.

I also used the random name generator when I had trouble thinking of a middle name for my middle child. I've been using it for so man years now.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

After I posted that I spent an hour watching their songs in Japanese.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Looked at the "P & F" clip Pyre Dynasty posted...actually, I never much cared for the show, for some reason...too clever by half for my tastes, I think...but I think I got every reference in the clip, which at least was funny...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Went to Pismo Beach with my wife this weekend. A very nice beach area here in Cailf. for those who don't live in in this state.

A major freeway goes through it dividing the city in half. I say city but there's at least four smaller towns right next to each other. Pismo is just the most well known and has the most beach front hotels. A lot are older, as are most of the houses. On the beach side of the highway that is. On the other side is a mountain and along the side are hundreds of large houses. Some are older--50+ but by the looks I would think quite a few were built in the last twenty years.

This is our eighth year going there, our church has a couple's retreat once a year there, and so we have explored it somewhat. Right next to Pismo proper, is Shell Beach one of those smaller towns I referenced. This one seems to be made up mostly of houses, a few businesses, a couple really fine hotels but as I said mostly houses. Including an English cottage and a mini mansion both set right above the beach. I mean you take a step out the back door and you fall to the beach below-- a good thirty feet.

Oh, and the mountains around Pismo are pasture land with few trees, but there is a forest not that far back and further on.

I said all that to say that I think it's a perfect setting for a Urban Fantasy series. You got everything; great settings--including that cottage--eccentrics, mountains and the ocean, storms, people coming and going all the time. It's not as urban as New York or Chicago-- no buildings over three stories-- and spread out but you got everything else a city has.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I guess that's why I usually say "modern fantasy" rather than "urban" since to me "urban" indicates a big-city type environment specifically...and at the end of the day, to me the main difference between "urban/modern" fantasy and any other kind is simply that it's set in modern times...

Did you see Rufus Sewell or Jennifer Connelly on Shell Beach?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

We discussed "urban fantasy" a couple months back:

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbwriters/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006995;p=0&r=nfx

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes fiction needs to be better than real life--

"Sloppier Than Fiction"
http://xkcd.com/1006/

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

A PS to my note.

I thought about my note today and I thought some may get the wrong idea when I said mini mansion since that is a type of house, at least around here.

I should have said mini estate. It's been two years since we took a look but as I recall there is a wall around the place with a wrought iron gate just like you would see around a full estate. There's no yard or very little because brick work and ceramics take up what yard there would have been. At least from what I can see through the gate. There is a small garden or two. A drive way that might be long enough to park six cars, maybe ten. A fancy looking house too.

The rest of the town looks mixed. At least half are older house built right after WWII from the looks: small, two bedroom, one bath with small living rooms. Some look to be longer than wide so they might have three bedrooms. The other half-or so- are newer two story houses with what are probably four bedrooms and two to two and a half baths. A couple of these have nice size living rooms and kitchens. My wife checked on three of them that had for sale signs up. I think one was over was million but all were upper hundred thousands for sure.

We didn't go through Shell beach this time. But it does have a couple of nice parks with great views and even though we have never found them supposedly dinosaur eggs are somewhere around or were found that is. and there are two smaller beaches including a tiny one with black and white sand. That one as rocks in the sea but when we were there one young woman went swimming. It looks like the water gets deep very very fast and as I said you can see huge rocks under the water but she obviously didn't mind.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

As to Urban Fantasy, I used to call it modern magic users tales until I found that name. Most of the time the action does take place in cities but not always. In this case it could almost be both. In the whole area there are plenty of people with all the big name stores and some mom and pops. And probably the same type of political happenings as in the big cities. Further down I think there are some taller buildings but still short compared to other places. Even short for our down town. We have maybe half a dozen to a dozen buildings that are ten plus stories. I'm not sure but the tallest is probably between twenty and twenty-five stories.

I've thought about doing a "Rural" fantasy since most of the area around is here is farming. I think a good Mage could be at home around here. He would have to travel to different small towns and but that's doable.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

New note---don't let me stop the ongoing discussions.

Odd thing with my Nook Color. (I've had it for over six months so it's pass being my "new" Nook Color.) The other day, it downloaded some kind of update---which changed how some of the on- and off-screen controls operated. I didn't know it would (or could) do this.

I figured things out soon enough...but, also, it seems to have developed a problem downloading certain sites (including this one). If the little green bar at the top is any guide, it downloads just so far and then stalls out.

It could be something on some other point along the line...what I don't know about computers and such could fill a manual...but it could be the download, too...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey I have the same update and I am typing this on my nook. Try deleting cookies and the cache. They are somewhere around but I forget how to get to them.

Harder to type with one finger on thid keyboard.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Thought of something after I signed off. Sometimes I have problems getting on or going from one page to another. On my desk computer. It goes only so far and sits. I go to another site and come back and it usually works.

But when I went online with my nook, it was fast. Funny thing though, it had this reply box even before I signed on.

I got to try answering my E-mail on my nook now. Before the keyboard wouldn't come up so there was no way to type anything even though all the buttons worked. Hopefully they added that to the update even though I may not use it much.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, whatever was wrong with it yesterday was working today...I was able to access everything I wanted without trouble, the sites I wanted downloading complete and readable.

Inspired by LDWriter2's comments above, which I accessed and read through my Nook Color, I then tried accessing my own online account. I managed to find my mail and look at some of it, but, for the moment, decided not to procede further. It's different from what I have here on my computer, and, I suppose, if I do it again---likely---I'll have to learn as I go, or find a guide...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

They are two guides that came with the Nook. One is a short manual. And you can get videos that help show you how to operate the Nook.

Not sure if any of them talk about E-mail though.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The connection went bad again yesterday afternoon...but, this time, I know why. My phones went in and out in the afternoon, no dial tone for awhile, no way to call out...and, since my high-speed connection is linked to my phones, I can assume when the phones went out, the WiFi went out, too...

Of course I read the manual that was on the Nook...but I wonder, if the way to work it changed, if the manual changed too, and if I should reread it to see...but I was also working AOL's thing, which was different from the AOL thing I work here...

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn that groundhog. Oh, and we're supposed to get as much as 18 inches of snow in Denver over the next two days. I am so done with winter.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The media would have us believe it's a warmer winter...but they judge things by the way they are around New York City...
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.