Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 76)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm at my Tae Kwon Do class and I'm sparring with the teacher. He tells me I'm thinking too much. He then asks if I think when I'm writing. Uh...yeah.
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Asian Cup winners:

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure where else to put this but I was finally able to update my e-mail address so in case anyone wants to contact me they can use the forum's button.

I updated my home computer's OS in the precess since than I noticed there was a place for all my stories passwords. So it finally hit me that this password would be there. It was but dotted out. Oh good grief however a second later I saw a box that said passwords so I checked it and when I highlighted the right place it showed the real password. Yay.

So I went online and change my e-maill address, but once done I couldn't sign in again. Yikes it looks like any change in the profile and you need to put in a new password.

So I found a way to contact the forum's people--not sure why I didn't do that before. Maybe I missed it when I looked or maybe they never responded. In either case I now have the right E-mail address and a shiny new password.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

One if my local tax businesses is using a Minion to advertise their service. I believe it's a new business or in a new spot.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Noting in passing that the Dancing Statues of Liberty have all packed up their togas and crowns and gone home. No sign of 'em today.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I meant to say this aa week before the 16th but actually some disappeared around here at a week and a half early.

I was at a corner--opposite of where one hangs out-and I noticed no statue. I blinked and thought "Hey, I don't recall seeing any for a day or three." But a few days later that one was back. So maybe they called in sick one day or all the old ones quit at the same time, or????

And not to by nitpick even I am, I think that is a dress on the Stature of Liberty. [Big Grin]

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've never thought about it before, but what the heck IS Ms. Liberty wearing? That thing doesn't look like any dress, gown, robe, or toga style I'm aware of from fashion history. Not that fashion is my strong suit, but that is a weird garment.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I just looked over a close up of the statue and I think it's two garments. One a dress and over that some type of robe--could be a toga.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

You might be right. The dress of a modern woman and a toga to credit the Greeks with the invention of democracy? (And Roman numerals on her tablet. Isn't she just a hodge-podge of history?)
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Wikipedia, she's wearing a stola and pella, or "gown" and "cloak" in English...traditional garb for Roman goddesses.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Some recent upgrade to my AOL account seems to have turned on Spell Checking for everything I try to post somewhere...I don't know why. I mean, I use Spell Check when writing, but it does tell me things are misspelled when I know they're not---things like my own name. (Glad it didn't switch on automatic correction.)
dkr
Member # 10397

- posted      Profile for dkr           Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! Spent the night flirting with a MILE WIDE tornado down here in Texas. Always fun [Eek!]
Posts: 23 | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert has this correct. In early Rome women citizens did wear togas, but from the late Republic onward only men and prostitutes were allowed to. Eventually the simpler pallium (a rectangular cloak) supplanted the elaborately draped toga for everyday menswear.

Proper Roman ladies of the later periods wore a light under-tunic, over that a stola or dress, and over all a palla which was identical to the male pallium and could be draped over the head if need be. This is precisely what Lady Liberty wears: a palla fastened at the left shoulder with a brooch over a pleated long-sleeved stola. Long sleeves were considered effeminate.

Fun fact about the toga: candidates for elective office used to whiten their togas with chalk in order to stand out from the crowd; this is the source of our word "candidate" (candida = "white").

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Also the letters and Roman numerals on the tabula ansata she's holding are JULY IV MDCCCLXXVI---July 4th, 1776.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Funny how things set things off in my mind...this morning, I read a story about the last two surviving Howard Johnson's restaurants---one in Bangor, Maine, one in Lake George, New York.

The one in Lake George got me thinking of one I used to visit with my parents in nearby Glens Falls while passing by on vacations...I remembered once being sick in there when I was twelve, but it had nothing to do with the food, just having drunk too much at a friend's bar mitzvah (one reason why I don't drink these days)...not so happy, but the rest of the time it's all happy memories.

I remembered they used to have these really unique-for-its-day salt-and-pepper shakers, or at least they seemed so to me. They were plastic / acrylic, roughly about three by four inches, and the salt went in one side and the pepper in another...you pressed a button on each side for salt and for pepper...I remember thinking they were really cool. You could buy one---they sold them at this particular Howard Johnson's restaurant, but I never saw them at any other one, or anywhere else---but I couldn't persuade my parents to buy one as a souvenir.

Still, I got to thinking about these shakers again...awakening in me a nearly-fifty-year-old desire to buy and possess one. So far I've been searching on Amazon-dot-com looking for them...but they've got some fifteen thousand or more different salt-and-pepper shakers available, and attempts to narrow the search haven't turned anything up.

Funny, isn't it? I'll try out a few other ideas, look in a few more places, until the urge to possess dies down again, or until I at least locate a picture of one...

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I did find a picture of it, through Bing-Pinterest-Etsy.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d3/8d/8e/d38d8ee424671b2b965f61b6d882c0ea.jpg

Out of stock, alas...

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this close enough, Robert?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Yup, that's it, exactly. The price-with-shipping is within my means---cheap, actually, considering. Ordered it just a few minutes ago---never used eBay before, far as I can remember, so I had to set up (another) account for it.

Thanks, Kathleen, for helping me scratch an old itch...

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy to be of assistance.

[Smile]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Got it.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thanks for letting me know. Hope all is satisfactory. (I feel a bit invested in the whole process, I guess.)
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I just found out that my printer / fax / copier / combo can print on both sides of the paper without my having to flip anything over---something I didn't know before, and something, I swear, the manual didn't say.

I plan to use it again, once I figure out what I did to get it to do it...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Handy trick there Robert.
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Fish can read your mind right before you sneeze.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
But can they wipe the snot off your top lip?
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking of the Statue of Liberties that make the rounds a certain time of the year.

Around here we have booth fairies at this time of the year. All of a sudden one morning every year at this time stacks of thin wooden walls appear here and there. 20+ years and only once I have I seen some of these stacked on a flat bed truck. As I said they just appear, in the early hours of the day. And anywhere from one day to 5+ they form into booths. I think I have seen people working on the them twice in that same 20+ years. They first appear and then they form themselves into 12 feet by four feet or so booths.

As I said fairies.

Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy old guy:
But can they wipe the snot off your top lip?

Unfortunately, no. [Frown]
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mecopitch
Member # 10173

- posted      Profile for Mecopitch           Edit/Delete Post 
Wife and I started watching the Harry Potter films last week. One a day. Hearing the score of John Williams is making me itch for the new Star Wars film.
Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm gonna do without the new Star Wars films, at least till they're on video. I wasn't that happy with the last three, and it's getting harder and harder for me to sit through a three hour movie that doesn't have an intermission / bathroom break.
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm of mixed opinion about the upcoming Star Wars films, myself. Lucas isn't in charge any more, and I'm 97% certain he's the reason the last trilogy went weird. (The general consensus my friends and I have come to is nobody bothered to tell him when his ideas were bad any more. Have you seen the original Star Wars script?) Disney tends to do good work. Sometimes. Not always. But sometimes.

Despite all my wariness, I really do want to see them and it's hard to explain why.

Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I think Lucas may be something like Eisenstein...powerful imagery but lack of any real characters one can empathize with, or a story that puts them to best advantage. Possibly American Graffiti and the first Star Wars trilogy were the height of his powers as a filmmaker---and the last two of the trilogy were directed by others.

Probably American Graffiti represents Lucas's most influential work---after all, though it was hardly the first movie to do so, it did bring a new way of hearing music in movies to the mainstream.

Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen American Graffiti. I really ought to, at some point.
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Pops up on cable on a regular basis. It's also on the Xfinity on-demand movie service, I don't know for how much.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I am late to this discussion,

but I am eager to see the new Star Wars at the theater. Even though, Robert, you do have a point about the long movies [Smile]

I wasn't that disappointed with the last three even parts of them could have been done better.

So far, from the trailers, the new one looks intriguing and evidently they are doing some side issue movies too.

I watched American Graffiti when it first came out and it wasn't bad.

As to which Lucas film was his best--I can't say since I haven't watched them all. Didn't he do the Aliens Vs Cowboys one?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The things you miss...

About an hour ago I was mowing the lawn. (A terrible ordeal, but that's not the point.) I was listening to my iPod, and it played a song, "Turn the Beat Around," by Vicky Sue Robinson. Disco era seventies song, I liked it enough to put it on my iPod.

But I was listening to that song, and suddenly---these things always hit me suddenly---I heard the first line as "Turn the beat around...got to hear percussion..." Somehow I'd always heard that as "got to hear the gotcha..." and, only today, some nearly forty years after I first heard the song...I finally understood what it was all about.

Mecopitch
Member # 10173

Cowboys and Aliens was written by most of the guys from ABC's LOST and directed by Jon Favrau (Iron Man)
I definitely enjoyed that movie.

If I had my way, I'd get a Han Solo origin movie.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

I thought I saw an article somewhere saying that a Han Solo origin film is in the works...

Found it!

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/07/han-solo-movie-phil-lord-chris-miller-star-wars

Mecopitch
Member # 10173

I must be a prophet... Now to see if I can profit from it.

If I had my way, I'd be finished with my book and content to work on my next project...

And now we play the waiting game.

Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

quote:
Originally posted by Mecopitch:
I must be a prophet... Now to see if I can profit from it.

If you really want your Han Solo fix, there's three novels that have been written about him by A.C. Crispin (who I just found out died two years ago). There's another trilogy that technically nestles into that timeline, too, but those books are... not as good.

For a long time I was weirdly jealous of A.C. Crispin for getting to basically write licensed fanfiction. (I also read way too many Star Wars books around age 15 because I had a teenage obsession with Han Solo. That was what really taught me that different writers handle characters in different ways, and some of them are excellent at butchering things.)

Mecopitch
Member # 10173

The Corellian series of books is a fine example of butchering. I would have such a hard time letting another storyteller get a hold of my characters.
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
A former student of mine contacted me on Facebook. She was in my class about 10 years ago (I cannot believe how time flies!). She said her son had just read one of my old stories. I'm not sure if she had gotten a copy of the story when it came out (because it came out around the time she was my student) or if she somehow managed to track it down now. In any event, it was so cool to know that not only had she liked it, but her son had also liked it. Mind blown.
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Petty frustration.

I dropped into an office supply store, looking for a tablet to buy. I think I found one---one of the Microsoft models with attachable keyboard. I think it'll do for my limited needs. (My Nook Color is proving inadequate for access; it works, but I need something a little better.)

But not only did the store not have them in stock, it proved impossible to even order one. There's a sales tax holiday on down here in Florida right now; I'd hoped to get it during then and save a bundle on what seems to me a high-ticket item.

Further petty frustration:

I decided to drop into another branch of the office supply store, just to see if that store had it in stock. I suspected they wouldn't, but the store was close enough and I wanted to check.

But, not only were there no sales personnel around to answer questions, when I went to the cashier, I wound up directly behind a group with a basket of school supplies, arguing about what kind of discount they should be getting. I observed five minutes of it before saying, "The hell with this," and left.

I went groceryshopping nearby, about fifteen minutes, and passed by the office supply store on the way out. Then, and only then, was that group with the school supplies coming out the door. I felt I'd already spent enough time that day looking for answers and drove on.

Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

I'm not trying to defend the retailers by any means, but speaking as someone who's been on the receiving end of coupon exchanges like that, it's every bit as frustrating for the cashier. The fault is often--not always, but often--on the customer's end because they failed to read the bargains fully. I have the weirdest compulsion to apologize, despite the fact that I work for a different company in a completely different state. I think that means I've been in the business too long....
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Irritating, to be sure...but not uncommon. I---a cash-paying customer---have gotten stuck in the supermarket behind some arguments about what you can and cannot buy with food stamps. Sometimes it's something as mundane as what particular kind of grapes are on the approved list.

I'm no big fan of the food stamp program...but, seems to me, I don't see why, say, accepting something like from the government gives the government a say about what the recipient can and cannot eat. For all I care, they can blow it all on beer or sugary snacks.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Meanwhile, I plan to pop up to Office Supply Store Number Two later this morning---just for the hell of it.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Predictably, they were out of it, too. Ah, well...
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

Okay, I know this doesn't really matter to anyone but me, but I have to vent. I work as a shift supervisor at a pharmacy chain (not going to mention which one, because that doesn't matter). My store manager got fired in January and I got stuck filling his shoes until they could hire an official replacement. I applied for the manager position but didn't get it because the woman who got hired had more experience. That's fine. I like my new store manager, she's awesome.

What I'm upset about is that after I knew I didn't have the job I applied for an assistant manager position at a nearby store in the chain because it was available and the manager of that store suggested I do it. I went in for the interview. She made it sound like I was a shoe-in. She then proceeded to never call me back and proved impossible for me to reach. A couple months later I found out someone else got the position.

For the last month or two that store has had serious staffing problems. Today after I get off my morning shift at my store I get to go in and close at the other store. I *really* don't want to, because I'm still upset about the bull excrement that happened with my ASM application. I may end up working there two or three days next week in addition to the four days I'm scheduled at my home store, which is compounded by the fact that two people took vacation this week at my store so I was already scheduled nine days before my next day off. As a result I may end up working two weeks straight at minimum. It's just a frustrating situation on the whole.[/vent]

[ August 15, 2015, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Disgruntled Peony ]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Sounds like they've taken advantage of you...how many hours per week are you getting this way? Any overtime?
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Disgruntled one, just tell them they can take their paychecks, and keep giving them to you while you seethe in silence.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a toxifying workplace, if the workplace wasn't toxic before . . . Oh joy. Chainstore corporations are prone to toxic workplaces, usually due to regional manager bonus greed.

That I know of, only one major pharmacy chain's corporate culture resorts to split-shift multi store clerk and supervisor scheduling. The others, by corporate policy, no multiple store staffing, and in-store management works the extra hours of short staffing, an incentivization to suitably hire and retain staff and manage workplace harmony and morale and curtail toxic culture.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.