Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Lithgow, New York

Author Topic: Lithgow, New York
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A recent story (the death and burial of Natasha Richardson) was datelined "Lithgow, New York." But the thing is, I'm from that area, and I've never heard of "Lithgow, New York." Neither had my parents, who lived an even longer time in the area. It wasn't on any map we had handy, either.

A little online research turned up a location (on US 44 about halfway between Milbrook and Amenia) and even a picture of a sign.

Near as I can tell, it's a place where some roads cross. I don't know if the area became more developed after I left the area or whether this was always called this (online research didn't help me here), but there are a lot of hole-in-the-wall places that have some kind of existence, I suppose.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
It is either an railroad or stage coach stop. There are a few little outpost like that in Michigan. Where I live, there is a non-descript place called Drayton Plains. Nothing about it resembles a plain. The township of Waterford has completely swallowed it and only the post office has kept the name.

It used to be that railroads would place stops along the line and give each stop a name. I bet that's how Lithgow got it's name.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a town-on-the-maps on the other side of Milbrook from this Lithgow place, called Billings. In this case, I know for sure it's just a place where two roads cross...a teacher of mine lived just down the road on a site that had an incredible amount of back-and-beyond to it. But Billings itself didn't amount to much in those days...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.