Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Childhood Turns of Phrase

Author Topic: Childhood Turns of Phrase
DWD
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for DWD   Email DWD         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing TheWolf's mention of going and sitting in the corner reminded me of a funny twist of phrase my Mom told me I used as a kid, so I tought it might be fun (go along with me now, ok?) to have a place for people to post theirs.

I have three to start things off:

When my Mom would make me go sit in the corner because I'd been bad, I'd yell "No, please--not the corner of the middle!!!"

I used to call elephants "seffalunts."

I used to call a radio an "eady-eye."

In all other aspects, reports are that I was reasonably normal.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids used to call caterpillars "pillow-caters." Is that what you mean?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My oldest son used to begin comments with, "Remeber, way back in the 70s, when I..." (He's almost 12.)
He used to call hotdogs "hog ogs".

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a small child, I had difficulty keeping a box of crayons intact - they were always being broken. It was a complete mystery to my mother, until one day she caught me falling on the floor and purposely breaking my crayons. She asked me what I was doing. I responded that I was playing Jack-and-Jill. She asked me what breaking my crayons had to do with Jack-and-Jill. I cheerfully explained that Jack fell down and broke his "crayon".

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited June 10, 2009).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWD
Member # 8649

KDW - yes, exactly! Perfect!

These are all great--love it!

Posts: 88 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWD
Member # 8649

My mother-in-law says that when my wife was a kid she once asked "Mom, did they really have beds when you were a little girl?"
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My Aunt used to threaten us with: "I'll rip of your arm and beat you with the bloody end!" She also used to punish us for vocal violations (lying, backtalk, cursing, etc.) by putting hot pepper in our mouths--it only worked unti lsome of us developed a taste for it.

I once (as a very young child) asked my mother, with all sincerity: "What were dinosaurs really like?"

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 10, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother said my 'tr's came out as an 'f' when I was a toddler. She used to cringe when I would excitedly shout when ever I saw a fire truck.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol! Snapper, my best friend had a similar problem when his little girl would say "frog". Needless to say, we all bought her a lot of frog-related gifts when she was little... just to watch him squirm.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my relatives have told me I spoke with an English accent when I started speaking. Personally, I think they were fooled by my large-for-my-age vocabulary.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I had a running joke about chipmunks. It went something like this:

I look out the window at the bird feeder and spy a chipmunk gorging himself, "Hey, there's a munk!" I said.

My brother looks at the chipmunk and says, "But monks don't have stripes,"

"Must be a racing-monk," I reply.

From then on chippies or chipmunks were always referred to in our house as 'racing monks'.

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Around six I started using the phrase "Twenty years ago"

For example "Twenty years ago I would have shot you for that."

Needles to say I was a young fan of Walter Mathou.

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why people didn't like being called son of a beach, I thought people liked the beach.

Also one time at an after Christmas sale there were so many people, I told my mom that I though all these people were trying to kill me. I was serious, if a little twisted. She laughed and told me I would make a good straight man for some comedian.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work at a Daycare, and this one kid Matthew(6) always tried to stay and play with his sister Sara(9). Well, one day he was bugging her and she was trying to get him to leave her alone, and I came up to them trying to stop the fight. I told him that he needed to leave his sister alone, and that he could be independant for a while.

He stopped me with his hand, got all red in the face, and said, "I can't be independant, I'm a man!"

I smiled and then left him to bug his sister. I think he earned it.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
My niece used to call eggnog "hey nock". My guess is her master plan was to sound so cute that we'd give her sweets past her bedtime.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
My four year old daughter sings the Mary Poppin song - SuperCalifornia listic expealidoucious. It's especially cute since she can sing it and play it on the piano too.

My step mom wanted to teach my four year sister about being modest. Previously she had let her wear bikinis because they were cute, but didn't want her growing up thinking they were fine. She sat her done to have a serious talk and said, "Lisa, I think it's time that you started wearing a one piece bathing suit instead of a two piece bathing suit."

Lisa looked at her a little confused and then said, "Okay, which piece don't you want me to wear."

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xardoz
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for xardoz   Email xardoz         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was but a wee lad, I pronounced "soldiers" as "shoulders."

A common expression, back in "the day" (meaning late '70s middle school) was "Don't be red" when admonishing someone not be be a jerk, or "That's so red!" when someone did something offensive.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.