Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Where Were You? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where Were You?
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Zero I'm officially declaring you my arch-enemy!

Haha, get in line, pal.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, I've been told you could see the Apollo spacecraft going to and from the Moon with a moderate-powered telescope...you couldn't make out the craft but you could spot their rockets when they fired. (The Apollo 13 incident was very visible this way.)

If the weather is clear, I can see the shuttles go up from Cape Canaveral just by stepping out to my front yard and looking to the left...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
That's assuming that the conspiracy theories are wild claims that can't be proven or disproven. But educated people looking at the official story and seeing gaping holes, based on their own knowledge of physics and engineering, can't be dismissed as wackos just because they disagree with the government.

Example: The 9/11 Commission's hypothesis of the cause of the twin tower collapses is based solely on a computer model which assumes the heat conduction of steel is ZERO, the only way in which the temperature of the fires is hot enough to melt it. Otherwise the interconnected steel columns would act as a heat sink and the fires would do nothing. There are examples of other similar skyscrapers completely destroyed by fires, and their metal framework remains mostly intact.

There's also no explanation for how fires localized on one side of the building could cause a uniform demolition-style collapse of three separate buildings, one of which wasn't even hit by a plane, at NEAR FREE FALL SPEEDS. In fact the official report doesn't even make mention of building 7, because they know there's not even a half-baked hypothesis that can explain it.

I've got plenty of derision ready for people who make wild claims with no evidence to support them. That's why I have a bit of a problem with people who fanatically support the official explanation.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero you and I use to be enemies but now allies like how the US and the USSR were enemies but now the US and Russia are allies.

Zero I am officially declaring you my Allie.

I GOT YOUR BACK BATTLE BUDDY.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
So use it in a novel (Tom Clancy-style thriller perhaps), Natej11.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the people who think humans haven't walked on the moon think the moon isn't big enough to walk on.

The Rainbow Conspiracy video is hilarious, but it's easy to guess why the poor woman was confused. Many people who grow up in cities don't know anything about nature. My husband used to work at a living history farm and give tours to children. Many of those kids--some of them twelve-years-old and from a city surrounded by farmland--thought milk originated in factories, cotton came from sheep, wool came from plants, and eggs... well, they couldn't even guess at what an egg was.

The rainbow woman probably associated rainbows with oils sitting on the road. Therefore, rainbow colors result from the presence of pollutants.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Zero's official enemy is a guy named Infinity?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drake the thall
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for drake the thall   Email drake the thall         Edit/Delete Post 
as for me, I was still... my dad wasnt even thinking about marriage yet, let alone the fifth kid.

and zero, Ive heard you play a mean chess game...

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
Zero I am officially declaring you my Allie.

Cool. I accept.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero I still got your back battle buddy. Just give me the word and it will all end in a bang.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

You don't want to go against me, I have powers! Yessss, strange telekinetic powers that let me push the keys on my keyboard to make words.

Oh wait these are my fingers.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Oh crap he has fingers! Ruuuuuuuuuuuuun! We'll have to take cover in the pill box.
Natej11
Member # 8547

They call them fingers but I never see them fing. Oh wait there they go.
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a few months old, sitting on the couch watching it with my mom. Or so she tells me.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little late to the party...

Natej11, no disrespect, but please do some more research before espousing the 9/11 "truthers" argument. They are wackos. I don't mean to start an argument, and you can email me if you'd like if you want more information.

Also, I just recently watched For All Mankind, a great documentary that was first released in 1989. If you guys get a chance, you should check it out. Great stuff from NASA's own 'home movies'.

A few things that are standouts to me:

At the beginning of the movie, the astronauts are making their way down the corridor, suited up, carrying their "suitcases", and the corridor is lined with well-wishers and others, and then, all of a sudden, an orange-bloused arm comes out of the left-hand corner of the frame, waving to the astronauts just before they enter some other enclosure, and a female voice calls out: "Ya'll take care now." It just seemed funny to me.

The site of four FOUR! NASA techs pushing and shoving the last astronaut into the capsule. You can see they're working on getting that guy stuffed in there.

Neil Armstrong comes down the ladder to set foot on the moon, the video all grainy and black and white. Cut to Mission Control, after the celebration, and they ask Armstrong (or, maybe Aldrin, not sure) to see if he can do something about the camera 'cause the picture's not too good, and they're supposed to be getting pictures in color. Armstrong futzes with the camera, you can see a big glove wiping the lens, the picture kind of breaks up a bit, and then, PRESTO!, we've got a great picture, AND in color. MC asks what he did, and Armstrong says that he banged the camera with the hammer.

You can't make that kind of stuff up.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Natej11, no disrespect, but please do some more research before espousing the 9/11 "truthers" argument. They are wackos. I don't mean to start an argument, and you can email me if you'd like if you want more information.

Yes, please! Take that discussion to email.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, I was on a family vacation, driving through our home town in a rush to get home in time to see it...oh, wait a minute. I started this thread. It's all there at the beginning. How soon one forgets!
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

I think its called old-timers disease/ disorder.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.