Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Postal Video---Literary Critique

Author Topic: Postal Video---Literary Critique
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier today---well, yesterday, by everybody's standards, but I've been up since earlier that night---I had to watch a video at work (the US Postal Service.) It was one of those "avoid preventable traffic accidents with your postal vehicle" things, about five minutes long, that they show them.

Now, I'm not complaining about why they showed this video to clerks and mailhandlers who do not drive postal vehicles. I'm here to point out a few flaws in the writing of it.

First off, it opened with a scene of a funeral. The narrator, who you're supposed to realize is the guy in the coffin being lowered into the ground, says something like, "Look at all the people...my family, my friends...how could this happen to them?" I thought (and actually said aloud,) "C'mon, something happened to the guy in the box, too."

But the big flaw was later. After talking about (and showing) the less-serious accidents of his co-workers, the guy has his own, fatal, accident. He says something like, "The accident report said I didn't have my seatbelt fastened...I was ejected from the car...the accident report said I didn't have a chance."

Besides the thought that the guy should've known he didn't wear his seatbelt without reading the accident report, I'm left with this double mental image of (1) this guy dying in a car crash, and then (2) taking the time to read the accident report after his death.

Sometimes they put together some interesting safety videos...but other times they're like this. It might have been only five minutes long, but, if I'd been grading the writing, I'd give it a "D."

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.