Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Clean Desk

Author Topic: Clean Desk
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody pinch me. I just cleaned off my desk. Do you have any idea how long it's been since I've seen this much of the top of my desk. I'd forgotten the trim detail.

Of course, I still haven't found a new home for most of the s**t I took off my desk.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaptJay76
Member # 8769

- posted      Profile for CaptJay76   Email CaptJay76         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should buy another desk, put it on the opposite wall, and put all the sh** from your old desk on the new one, exactly where everything was on the old one. Then anytime you're feeling nostalgic, you can just turn around.

I find it helpful to have a backup desk anyway, just for those moments when my primary desk bursts into flames for no apparent reason.

That's an odd look on your face. Does this not ever happen to you? I thought everyone's desk burst into flames at random intervals. Guess it's just me. You should probably disregard everything I've said then.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

LOL. It was just about at that point. I found stuff I had totally forgotten about.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
'Clean Desk'....now there's a thought. *looks around* Yeah, no. Not happening. >.<

How big is your desk? And are you a piler? A scatterer? Or a hide-and-stay-hidden? (i.e. put stuff in drawers and forget you have it)

Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

The desk is standard size (approx. 5 ft long), meaning it's not nearly large enough.

I'm some of each. On one side, the pile was over a foot deep. On the other, piles and small objects were scattered. And I found some things under the piles and in nooks and crannies that were created by them that I had forgotten about.

It won't last. But I'm enjoying it while it does.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Come to think of it, my "desk" isn't a desk, it's an eight-foot by four-foot plywood table. I've had it for about twenty-five years.

There's a small desk behind me, something my parents bought me and something I took with me when I moved out. But I never sit at it---there's too much clutter in the way.

Hmm...I could afford a proper desk...maybe if I got this room cleaned, I could put one in.

(I've got one of those computer console module units, whatever they're called, in the other room---my TV sits on it. Back when, I needed something that could fit the small space where the TV would go, that could hold the hundred and fifty pounds that the TV weighed. That TV is gone now but the unit remains.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had a room... or even a desk....

Well, I do have a room, but I wish I had my own room where nobody else went, with my own desk where I could pile stuff....

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telik
Member # 8676

- posted      Profile for Telik   Email Telik         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!

I just did this at work (I'm a computer engineer). The piles and piles of paper schematic print-outs and tech magazines was appalling. When I saw the true desk structure, I was amazed by it's color, it's shine. I abruptly grabbed my lysol wipes and began to disinfect.

You'll probably be happy to know all that paper when into the recycle bin. (I had to make two trips).

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
The surface of my desk peeks out here and there but it is just a piece of plywood supported by a two-drawer file cabinet on one side and the remains of an Stor(pre-Ikea)formica desk on the other.

My mouse prefers when it's messy because it gives her places to hide and explore. When I clean it up I still leave the empty ink cartridge box for her to crawl into.

And sadly, no, the clean never lasts long.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

It's a nice desk, actually. Mahogany veneer with a nice detail pattern on the top and drawer fronts. A little the worse for wear, now.

It was the first piece of furniture that I bought for myself when I got sick and tired of the little student desk passed down from my brother.

We never throw anything away, BTW. The student desk is still in the garage.

Edited to add: That was back when I was working and still living at home. I could afford it, then. Sigh.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited August 23, 2009).]

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I just cleaned my desk a few nights back! The mess was unlivable. My solution: file folders, and lots of 'em. They stack nicely and hide all those papers away. It feels wonderful to have breathing room. Now if I could just get a handle on the rest of the office (my side--hubby's side is sickeningly neat).
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
I am assisted in keeping my desk (its really a Japanese style dining table) clean by a four legged fur-covered paper shreader who sometimes answers to 'Aya-chan'.

She has absolutely no discretion with what she puts in her mouth or attacks with her teeth and claws. I think its mostly boredom from living in a studio apartment with a single person.

Anything left out on the desk that isn't large and unmovable (particularly paper) is subject to dismemberment and disposal -bad kitty!

I have to be especially careful with string.

'do you really need that? -Here, let me dismember it for you...'

[This message has been edited by Lyrajean (edited August 25, 2009).]

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife stole my desk for her school work.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.