Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » New SciFi/Fantasy movies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New SciFi/Fantasy movies
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was most looking forward to James Cameron's Avatar. Probably because I am a Michelle Rodriquez and Sigourney Weaver fan. They have done some great sci-fi projects. But, I just saw the trailer for the new Clash of the Titans remake. Looks like it has promise, but I have a nagging feeling I may be let down. But then again, Liam Neeson is in it so it must be good.

Clash of the Titans
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800320/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

Any upcoming SF/F movies you are looking forward to?

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't heard of the new Clash of the Titans, I hope they have a little bit of the sensibility of Harry Hausen. It doesn't matter what tool you use if you use it wrong.

Avatar looks interesting, I'll wait to hear from some of my favorite reviewers.

I did have one that I was looking forward to, like really looking forward to but it has slipped my mind at the moment, sorry.

(There is always the comic book movies, Captain America, The Avengers, Deadpool, Wolverine II, Green Lantern, Iron Man II even though I am still quite pissed that they replaced Terrance Howard with Don Cheadle. I like Cheadle but I was so dearly looking forward to Howard's use of intense subtlety applied to War Machine.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Talking about Avengers...Don't forget Thor starring Chris Hemsworth (George Kirk in the new Star Trek) and of all the super hero ones, yes Avengers I am most looking forward to...and I will boycott Wonder Woman if non-acting Megan Fox stays cast in that role.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
[qoute]I hope they have a little bit of the sensibility of Harry Hausen[/quote]

You mean Ray Harryhausen, right?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
*Slaps self in head.

Yes, I mean Ray Harryhousen, I had just gotten out of four (Or possibly five) hours of math test and was a little low on brain juice. I also forgot about Thor, actually I was thinking that it was already out and I had seen it. (Turns out it was just an old Hulk movie I was thinking about, but that was a good one.) There was a rumor that Megan Fox was in the running for CatWoman. Personally I don't believe it considering the pristine casting of The Dark Night.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

I say this in all seriousness. There have been talks about Cher playing a past her prime catwoman.

I agree with you about Jim Rhodes. But I am looking forward to seeing Mickey Rourke as Whip Lash...all his plastic surgery seem to give him the perfect storm of villanous looks and the stills of him look great.

Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Its based off of a video games, but Prince of Persia looks promising.

I had my doubts when Jake Glyenhall was selected to be Persian of all things, but then I saw the special effects and realized it has some potential...

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know...none of the current crop seem terribly appealing...since I had such a good experience with WALL-E and Up, I might try Toy Story 3 when it rolls around, or whatever Pixar puts up next. (Decided to pass on the current Disney traditionally-animated movie, what was it, The Frog Prince? Maybe when it rolls around on video.)

I can see remaking Clash of the Titans, since the first one wasn't particularly good...but this won't have all that Harryhausen stuff this go-round...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Avatar was pretty good. A couple of good sci-fi concepts. A felt like I was watching Red Prophet in space.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Been waiting for someone to bring this up again.

I remember I went to see James Cameron's Titanic at the movies, because the subject matter, the sinking of the Titanic, is dear to my heart and a lifelong interest...but Avatar just doesn't have that kind of resonance for me.

Besides, some of the reviews seem to indicate that Avatar lays Cameron's political beliefs onto the plot with a trowel---which would be bad enough if I agreed with them.

I'll pass.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Avatar on Thursday at midnight (Thursday was an eventful day for me). I LOVED IT!

The storyline is OK - very similar to a recent animated movie, Battle for Terra, but with the addition of the actual "avatar" concept. However, I found it to be very moving and inspiring.

The visual effects were stunning. Definitely watch this one in 3-D (I don't think it's being offered any other way, but just in case it is, see it in 3-D - the glasses are polarized instead of using red/blue paper ones).

Cameron has been my favorite director since way back in 1986, after "blowing me away" with The Terminator and Aliens. Sure, there have been better movies by other directors, but Cameron is the only "old-timer" who hasn't dropped any bombs (I don't count Piranha 2 since he didn't actually finish that one).

Edited to add: I don't agree with most of Cameron's political viewe either, but that's the case with most of the directors in Hollywood - I still thought it was a very good movie.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited December 20, 2009).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, Avatar wasn't any more political than Wall-e was - you should give it a chance. Visually, it is worth it!
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I didn't go to see WALL-E at the movies, either...
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Avatar too, and loved it. No wait, I LOVED IT.

Beautiful movie, really cool aliens, and a brilliant magic system. The cg effect merged seamlessly with the real life stuff. Well done. I definitely think it was worth the money to see it in 3D. It felt like I was inside the story, and there were no random 3D gags. No spit takes, or arrows shot at you, kind of thing.

There was, in my opinion, a lot of politics shoveled through, but for the story and the characters it worked.

I dug it.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've gotta say...I thought there was a fair amount wrong with Titanic. The storyline seemed contrived to put someone everywhere something happened...and the acting, particularly the leads, seemed poor. (I saw it that way, despite heaps of praise in the media for the acting couple of Leo and Kate.) It did look like they spent every cent of that two hundred million price tag on what was actually on the screen---I rate this higher than any other movie about the Titanic except A Night to Remember.

As for Avatar...well, here's a link to a review from Locus Online that, I think, addresses the science-fictiony aspects of the movie better than the other reviews (positive and negative)---and also points out what the movie rips off from SF...

http://www.locusmag.com/Reviews/2009/12/all-energy-is-borrowed-review-of-avatar.html

[hope the link works]

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Curious on thoughts...

has anyone seen the recent movie Pandorum--a sci-fi thriller that had the feel of Resident Evil in space(Same producers)--that has also read the short story Command Transfer by Dean Spencer, published in IGMS issue # 13?

http://www.pandorummovie.com/
Link to the trailer. Mild violence warning in trailer.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited January 03, 2010).]

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
News media reports this morning put its "take" at over one billion dollars---so I guess it doesn't matter if I spend my seven-fifty on it or not.

It's Ok Robert...I saw it twice so that made up for you.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
talking about SF/Fantasy, Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes ended up being very steampunkish.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The last movie I went 'out' to see was '9'...
Before that we were still waiting on Y2K. I don't get out much.

I did recently see Appleseed... very cool CG action!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and watched Woverine. I rarely watch a movie first run.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was going to buy the "9" DVD last week, but didn't...I may pick up one in a couple of hours, along with "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs," which is supposed to be out today.

Now that I've got a Blu-Ray player, I've got to get titles in that format---which is worth it.

Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an older movie, but I really enjoyed "Sunshine", especially in high-def. Worth the watch for any sci-fi fans out there... though it gets wacky in the end.

The soundtrack is spectacular writing fuel, too.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Would you believe Best Buy was out of Blu-Ray copies of "9" this week? I might've bought it regular, but decided not to.

(Actually, right now, there are two movies floating around called "Nine" or "9" or somesuch...the other is a turkey remake of a Broadway musical of Fellini's "8 1/2"...pick up the last-named movie if you want to see it in a good version.)

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

For the Dragon and CGI lovers

http://www.howtotrainyourdragon.com/

Trailer to the new Dreamworks CGI movie How To Train Your Dragon

rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't a really big fan of SUNSHINE (the "forgot" excuse that precipitated the calamities was too far-fetched for me; there were better ways to do that, though after listening to the commentary, I understand WHY Garland went that route).

However, I will watch anything and everything written by Alex Garland and directed by Danny Boyle.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Isnt Speilberg working on a movie version of blackholes and timewarp with the author Kip thorne?

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Warrior:
For the Dragon and CGI lovers

http://www.howtotrainyourdragon.com/

Trailer to the new Dreamworks CGI movie How To Train Your Dragon

Thought there was some discussion of this movie somewhere but anyway for the Train fans here. There is a stage production by that title. It's here sometime soon. It looks like "real" dragons from the pictures advertising it.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And The new Star Trek movie teaser.

Not like your usual ST.

Article

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On How to Train Your Dragon...there's a TV series on the Cartoon Network that I think is derived from the movie, but I've only seen one episode and I'm not sure...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh man, would I like to see it. It is based on the animated movie.

The dragons are as real as they could make them, there was an article about the show and a lot of it had to do with how they did the dragons. Never done before type of stuff. It takes 300 semis to move everything.

But at $51 for the cheapest ticket my wife said no way even though we really could do it. We could buy the second to lowest ticket too I'm sure but whatever it is it will be pricey.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Just found this on the Apple movie Trailer site "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones" It's based on a series of books I've seen. I haven't read any even though I have come close.

A series of half angels fight evil beings: werewolves, witches, vampires etc. Some of the books seem to be a bit too much on the romance side for me, plus they seem to be written for YA. Even that last hasn't stopped me from reading something before but this series seems to be related to "Twilight" in one sense.

Offical Site

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And this update to a Fairytale

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. The siblings have grown up.

Trailer

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

A Ringworld miniseries.

More info here

EW.com post.

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
A Ringworld miniseries.

More info here

EW.com post.

And Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End!
Though I say this with gritted teeth when I remember the two good tries (3003; 2010) but failures of Phillip Jose Farmer's Riverworld.
http://www.syfy.com/riverworld/

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I suppose it's nice that somebody is finally buying up these properties with an actual notion of making them---if I recall right, Childhood's End has been optioned, on and off, since its publication around sixty years ago.

Of course, SyFy will, likely as not, botch it if they do it. Probably drop all of Niven's "Known Space" background and make it as if some fifty-years-from-now starship has found its way there. (Was it SyFy who did Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea?)

Perusing the old 2009 posts...I note that I watched (and enjoyed) "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs," but never got around to watching "9"...right after that, I decided to stop picking up so many of these movies I never get around to watching. Though I have bought (and not watched) a few.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've seen "Childhood's End" around for a long time but I don't recall ever reading it. Of course if I read it thirty years ago or so I might not.

And I too hope they do to "Ringworld" what they have done to others. That especially includes what they did to Dresden Files. Should have called it something else.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

My local paper came out with a list of summer movies and release dates.

Some I didn't know which surprised me.

This is one of them.

Trailer

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Oblivion was lame. Lame yet expensive. So... worth seeing.

JMO, but this is why it didn't work for me, it started out as a horror movie, with creepy monsters...for like a reason, but then by the end, they bad guys were so lame, that they had to put children in harms way just so that you'd celebrate when the bad guys are conquered. Also...why did they need to show the boringist sex scene in the history of forever, but then pan away in the real love story. Also, why does a triangle need water? Also, how did the lady give birth by herself, and a million of other logic defying ridiculousness.

It was honestly like they took a Syfy channel movie script and then decided to put a hundred million dollars to make it, without fixing the script. I'm wondering if it was written by Hubbard, and scientology money funded it, honestly, it's that dumb.

But it was pretty, so I don't feel like I wasted my money. I just think they don't do enough SciFi to do SciFi stupid.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Pasting in after copying from the Internet Movie Database, the directing and writing credits are:

Directed by
Joseph Kosinski

Writing credits
Joseph Kosinski (graphic novel)

Joseph Kosinski (original story)

Karl Gajdusek (screenplay) and
Michael DeBruyn (screenplay)

I don't recall seeing the original graphic novel, offhand...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Guess what movie Harrison Ford is in.

WOW

The special effects look great.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

There's a new Jeff Bridges movie called "Seventh Son" It's another monster fighter movie.

Lots of demons and action from the trailer. But it flashes that is it is a popular series and I wonder if it is taken for a novel series I've seen. I looked over the first one but decided for personal reasons not to get the book even though I can't recall what the reasons where. But it was a tale of a Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, in, if I remember right, an Alternate 1800s US. I know there was a second book but I don't know if there are more. It's the only Seventh son book I recall seeing.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you thinking of OSC's first Alvin Maker book, SEVENTH SON, LDWriter2?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that would be the Alvin Maker books. Quite a good series, although if the Jeff Bridges movie has monsters, then it's no relation. There is a second one, and a third one, and like a bajillion after that, if I remember right.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if the Jeff Bridges movie is R.I.P.D.

It's about undead cops and has plenty of monsters.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
LDWriter2 is talking about "Seventh Son" based on the Spooks series written by Joseph Delaney. The movie got pushed to next January. Julianne Moore is also in it.
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

redux seems to have gotten it.

R.I.P.D. is out but this one is different even though the plot and facial hair are about the same.

And yes now I recall the writer, the series I was thinking of is the one by Alvin Marker. I didn't think it had a lot of monsters but Hollywood could have changed that.

As I said the trailer didn't say what series it was adopted from and no listed web site for the movie either.

legolasgalactica
Member # 10087

- posted      Profile for legolasgalactica   Email legolasgalactica         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I must say that overall I really enjoyed the following movies, but wanted to vent a few annoyances that are becoming very prevalent lately.

Has anyone noticed how a lot of new action movies have the people nearly flying and/or surfing around like in the lord of the rings and new hobbit movies and pirates of the Caribbean and on and on. Its like we're suppose to believe that anything can move like that, let alone relatively normal humanish beings.

I also tire of the endless fights between immortals that progressively become more and more ridiculous with no physical harm until finally one of them dies (how?). ie man of steel, avengers, wolverine, etc.

Posts: 164 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey, evidently they are Showing Wizard of Oz in 3-D.

But here's something a bit interesting.

[URL=][/URL] Oz here

MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by legolasgalactica:

Has anyone noticed how a lot of new action movies have the people nearly flying and/or surfing around like in the lord of the rings and new hobbit movies and pirates of the Caribbean and on and on. Its like we're suppose to believe that anything can move like that, let alone relatively normal humanish beings.

I think this is probably because somebody developed the software to do such scenes, and when directors look in their CGI toolbox they see the new tool and think "Ooh, shiny!"

I appreciate what the producers have tried to do with The Hobbit, which is to connect the story with the great unpublished backstory Tolkien devised for LotR. At the same time they had to make it a blockbuster. Unfortunately I think much of the story is lost.

Like any great fairy tale, The Hobbit packs some important lessons. One of these comes in Thorin's deathbed reconciliation with Bilbo. It's a privilege to be part of someone's life; a privilege that is squandered when we only consider them according to their fitness to play the part we've chosen for them in *our* story. On his deathbed, stripped of his illusions and Earthly attachments Thorin finally can see this.

By splitting the story into multiple movies, the screenwriters are presented with a problem: how to provide the first movie with a satisfying ending. Ralph Bakshi's abortive Lord of the Rings trilogy failed because the first movie (with screenplay by Peter S. Beagle) was too true to the book, leaving moviegoers dissatisfied because the film was dramatically incomplete. They solved this problem by giving Bilbo at least a partial reconciliation with Thorin, worse, on *Thorin's* terms. Yes, it makes dramatic sense for Bilbo to win a public display of respect from Thorin, on terms that make logical sense given Thorin's character, but the screenwriters did the wrong thing by the story by doing the right thing for their movie.

Back on topic, I can think of few movies that give me a real "science fiction" experience. 2001 certainly, and Blade Runner. The Day the Earth Stood Still. But most movie "sci-fi" is more pulp adventure, less cerebral than appealing to the reptilian brain.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Film's strengths are portraying visual and aural spectacles. Film's weakness is portraying interior discourse, like thinking. A strongly appealing and clearly crafted, artful text narrative translated to film narrative oftentimes butchers the text's meaning and uses other techniques, oftentimes visual and aural "reaction shots," to express emotional thoughts. With as much investment text writers expend on watching film, no wonder writing creatively is as challenging as it is to do.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.