Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Are you my cousin?

Author Topic: Are you my cousin?
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
This may seem weird, but I am related to an Irish King named King Naill of the Nine Hostages.

I read recently, "*that Niall may have been the most fecund male in Irish history. The findings of the study showed that within the north-west of Ireland as many as 21% of men (8% in the general male population) were concluded to have a common male-line ancestor who lived roughly 1,700 years ago. The geneticists estimated that there are about 2-3 million males alive today who descend in the male-line from Niall.", and I'm a girl.

So just as curiosity sake, if you can say for sure you are related to Naill, please respond.

~Sheena

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_of_the_Nine_Hostages

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I've got my share of Irish blood (Gilliland and McHenry(the same for whom the famous fort is named), among others), I can't say whether I'm descended from Niall or not.

However, according to family legend on the other side, I am supposedly descended from Charlemagne.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming "King Naill" was a Freudian slip.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
dang, I don't even know my ancestry past my grandpa. I'll have to wait for the mitochondrial DNA and Y-chromosome matching technology to get real dirt cheap - like a couple of hundred bucks...

Incidently, if you want a challenge, try solving the X prize in human genome mapping - it concerns trying to reduce the cost and time to transcribe the Human Genome to a either a $1k or a $100k (and I forget the time too)...

Anyway it's still not accomplished.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's any Irish in me, but you never know that far away. On something like the 35th generation you have like 8 billion ancestors. (There should be some duplication going on there, but still that's a lot.) My ancestry turns more east at William the Conqueror.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I have ancestors from Donegal (northwest corner of Ireland), but we don't go back far enough to know if we come from Naill.

(Wonder if his name is the origin for the O'Neill--and variations--name.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought we all came from one ancestor - at least maternally.

We all share the mitochondrial dna from a single woman about 200,000 years ago - she effectively gave birth to the child that spawned off the sum lineage of every human that has ever lived - the entire Homo Sapien Sapien clan.

She's *everybody's* great (x 8000) grandma!

And - We're all family!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve
not sure I understand the science to be hoonest...

[This message has been edited by billawaboy (edited March 12, 2010).]

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromoidus
Member # 8514

- posted      Profile for Andromoidus   Email Andromoidus         Edit/Delete Post 
well, possibly... I am a direct descendant of EVERY Irish king, (all twenty seven of them, or so ive been told) and that probably qualifies.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

A direct descendent of every king? Won't that mean your royalty...? If so, congrats. Can I borrow some money?

Or are you simply related? And can I borrow some money?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
They tell me my great grandparents, on at least one side of the family, came from Ireland. Reardons, I'm told. That, at least, means I can wear the green on St. Patrick's Day and get away with it.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Irish ancestors, my grandmother's maiden name was McGee. Also one pedgree chart I saw said I was related to Old King Cole. Though I only know of him from the nursery rhyme.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.