Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Going to US - looking for advice (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Going to US - looking for advice
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Conflagurations to both of you, and may you both be happy with your respective spouses.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
philo... great football description!
Kathleen... very thorough. I lived in Houston for 16 or so years and you obviously know the score down there.

So a couple of engineers came to Houston to the company I worked for to oversee a project we were doing for them. They were from India. They had been in the northeast a good bit but never here in Texas. Well one day they came to me with a map of Texas and wanted to go to lunch somewhere unique and as 'Texan' as possible. They proudly annouced that they had found the perfect place to eat that day (online) and asked if El Paso was a safe place to visit for foreigners to visit. They would NOT believe me when I told them that El Paso was roughly 800 miles to the west. It took a quick reference to the maps 'scale' indicator before they decided against it.

So Martin... Texas is very large! It takes a long time just to get across the street.

edited to spell-correct a really easy word...

[This message has been edited by DRaney (edited July 31, 2010).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose congratulations are in order.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, DRaney.

And congratulations to the respective bride and groom, whoever they may be.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the kind wishes. And of course for the info. It will definitely be an interesting time in Houston.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Martin.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Well, I won't be going to Houston. And if I had a Facebook page I would change my status from 'married' to 'single'.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Such is fate...I take it you and your significant other are no longer so significant to each other...sympathies...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear. I'm so sorry, MartinV, that's hard.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 07, 2011).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! That’s one hell of a plot twist! What happened? If I’m being rude, just ignore me…

I’m (relatively) recently single, and the process really, really bites. Time does seem to have a mitigating effect, but I remember that early on that just sounds like so much horsesh--.

I wish you better fortune in the days to come.

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that, MartinV.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences. Sorry to hear things didn't work out.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote from a song;

"I've been on that cold ground a time or two
Somehow that makes me a little more like you..."

Sorry to hear it Martin.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Boy, I just found this thread...thanks to the newer notes.

And boy did I walk in on something. I had to back track some to get a deeper understanding..

MartinV G-- that was quick. Not sure what to say that hasn't been said already but I feel for you.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Thank you for the kind words.

It turns out she never wanted to marry me at all but was afraid to tell me because she thought I would take it badly. Of course telling me six months later that she's in love with someone else was definitely the better choice. Both our families aren't particularly fond of her at the moment.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

That's cold, man.
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear, MartinV
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that I’m not too fond of her either!
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of marital problems that can be overcome. Unfortunately, I do not feel that is one of them. I have seen couples continue beyond infidelity, but never "I love someone else".

My sympathies.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.