Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » What do I need to know about Utah?

Author Topic: What do I need to know about Utah?
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in Orem, Utah for Boot Camp at the end of June and the beginning of July. Internet research makes it look like the days are pretty toasty and the nights chilly. Is this accurate? Are shorts common or does the temperature change quickly so that you'll regret getting caught wearing shorts at night? If it is chilly at night, are we talking a flannel shirt or an actual jacket?

Also, are there any local culinary specialties I should be looking for?

Any mosquito or tick or other biting critter problems?

Does it help to know a little Spanish?

Is there anything else you can tell this Angeleno that may be of interest?

I appreciate any and all comments.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Utah weather is always unpredictable. Plan on shorts, but bring at least on pair of pants, and a sweater. It should be warm, but in case it turns snowy, (been known to happen even at the end of June,) stay inside, because amazingly we have heaters that work with a push of a button.

Food wise, you may want to check out a little establishment called McDonalds. Not as well known, but have really great McFlurries. If you are interested in healthier fare, visit our Subway.

And if you need any personal items you may forget to pack, there is a quaint little store called Walmart that can fill your needs.

Bring mosquito repellent if you plan on hiking, or visiting a lake or river. Otherwise don't worry about it.

It actually helps to not know any Spanish.

Random helpful facts:
Channel 2 (CBS) has the better news programing. Fox is channel 13 ABC is channel 4, NBC is Channel 5.
Traffic from Orem to Salt Lake during rush hour can be a bit slow, but is probably nothing compared to Los Angeles.
WE HATE THE LAKERS. This is important. Do not mention admiration of one Kobe Bryant if you want people to like you. I'm just saying. Other than on NBA subjects, we are pretty polite.
People smiling is kind of the normal here. (strange but true)
You can go up to anyone and just start talking. We may think you are strange, but we will smile and keep any rude thoughts to ourselves. If you get lost, ask any woman with children. We generally know our way around.
Check out temple square if you have time. (It's in Salt Lake) It's beautiful, and free.

Just don't be scared. We don't bite, we don't have horns, and no one will try to claim you as a sister wife.

I mean, unless our prophet tells us to.
(Totally kidding.)
~Sheena

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited June 08, 2010).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheena, LOL

I'm only as big a Laker fan as I need to be not to look like an idiot here in town, so that's not going to be a problem. But I don't even own a sweater. I've got flannels, hoodies and leather jackets. If it gets cold at night I'm going to be walking around Utah looking like a thug.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
End of June, beginning of July. It will be in the 80's to 90's unless weather is freakish. Nights cool down into the upper 50's to 60's or warmer.

A light sweater and a windbreaker together will be more than adequate in the evenings, if you need even that.

The weather is very dry, so if your skin tends to dry out, make sure you've got some lotion. The location of the Boot Camp does have some big box stores around it and up the road a little bit is a bunch of large strip malls with national chain big box stores and a good-sized shopping mall (University Mall) and plenty of fast food and sit down restaurants.

I am envious...

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
A jacket in the evening? I'm jealous.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
It has snowed on the fourth of July in Orem before, but I wouldn't count on it, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it does. The chances are better for a wicked wind storm or heavy rain. (Or possibly a month with nary a cloud, you truly never know.)

Yes on the mosquito, there is a swamp on UVU campus. (I think certain science people study it.) Ticks are a problem only if you go hiking, stay out of the tall grass and you should be fine. (And there are a lot of great hikes right near.)

As for restaurants, The Yamato is really good Japanese food, I love the Unagi. 1074 South State Street, Orem, UT‎, just up the street a little from UVU. Also for a local delicacy there is Arctic Circle, with the ranch burger and fry sauce with a lime ricky(sp?). I also enjoy Chuck-a-rama, which is all-you-can-eat. But heck wander around a little, there are a ton of them in the area, we even have an In-and-Out now. In the middle of the day UVU has a nice cafeteria upstairs from where I assume the class is being held.

Spanish will help you if you go to one of the Mexican restaurants or one of the Spanish markets.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Utah is a lot like inland Southern California. Think Riverside and you have Salt Lake City.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear a fleece jacket when it gets chilly in the summer.

Much to my regret, it looks like it will be warm, as usual, for the rest of June and into July. (I am not a sun-worshipper, nor do I like hot weather. My daughter says it's my Irish blood, because I love overcast skies and drizzle.)

I think shimiqua has pretty well covered it.

I hope you enjoy your visit here.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm not used to needing a jacket at all in summer. The only time I wear one is when I'm riding my motorcycle on the freeway and that's more for protection than warmth. What you're all talking about is all but the coldest days of winter around here. I really appreciate the info.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.