Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Baby

Author Topic: Baby
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I had my little girl (second daughter) yesterday, October 13. She is huge (8 pounds, 3 ounces). Healthy and happy, no complications.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo!!!!

How are you going so far. Got any sleep? Have you chosen a name yet?

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Many Many Congrats!
Babies are wonderful.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
COngrats!!

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!! It's good to know you are all doing well.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!! Hope all went well and you're all getting some sleep. :-)
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
We are naming her Lillian Qing Qing (青青 . The hospital is really good about like taking baby and bringing her back when she wakes up (like they will wake you) so I have gotten a bunch of 3 hour blocks of sleep. I have a feeling all will be chaos though once we get home. So far the 3 year old is excited about new baby, but bringing her home might be a bit more real. And no more nurses to take care of stuff for me.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Conflagurations. I didn't know you could get smileys on a birth certificate, the age we're living in . . .
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Glad to hear that you and your family are well.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
My congrats too.

You already answer my question about your other child.

Glad, everything went well. I remember when my daughter was born ages ago. I got to stay the night there so I was woken(awaken?) every time she wanted to be fed even though my wife did all the work. In this case she had to-I got my share at home- but it was every couple of hours that first night. So my wife-more than me- can relate to what you said.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel Tov! May her life be filled with simchas (joy) and nachas (pleasure).
Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

She is colicky so not much joy right now. I am so glad I am not trying to do nano, cause she is sucking up almost every waking minute with screaming.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you are already trying this or not, so if you are, please forgive me for suggesting the obvious, but one of the things that helped me with my colicky babies was to lay the baby on her back on my lap with her feet toward my waist and her head on my knees, her knees tucked up, if necessary.

I would lean over her and cup her head in my hands and jiggle her gently by bouncing my legs with my heels raised a little off the floor (my calves got pretty tired at first, but they strengthened over time). Sometimes I had to do this for quite a while, but since she was crying anyway, at least I felt I was doing something about it.

Other parents manage by putting the baby in a carseat and going for a drive. You can simulate this, if you stay right with the baby, by putting her in the carseat on a running clothes dryer. There are vibrating seats for babies as well, but I think being held by mom or dad works the best, if you can do it long enough.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 09, 2010).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Oh, that must be so hard for you! My sister was a colicky baby and my mother talks about that period with a shudder. I hope it passes soon, and I really, really hope you've got some second-line troops helping out, so you can get some much needed rest and down time to feel like a human being.
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

And, since I'm the tactless person in the group, I'll also suggest the following:

When you can't take it anymore, make sure your daughter's safe and secure, then leave the room for 5-10 minutes where you can't hear her screaming. Just to take a break if no one's there to help you.

My ex is one of the most benevolent people on this planet, but I came home to a screaming baby one night and she was at her wit's end. Even the gentlest people will have thoughts they're ashamed of when pushed to their limits. And I had to reassure her that whatever she thought (and didn't voice to me) had nothing to do with whether she was a good or a bad mother; it had to do with her being human.

I just reread over this, and I think this is coming across as slightly condescending or judgmental. Not my intent, and apologies up front if it seems that way. This is your second child so you probably already have this well in hand; probably just venting a little.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
My eldest daughter had colick for a week when we lived in a bedsit. There was no getting away from it and it was an absolute nightmare.

In the UK we have something called gripe-water and that tends to help. We also gave her colic-drops but I can't remember what they were called.

Putting them down and leaving the room doesn't really help, it just stresses both of you, colick is painful for them. You can definately tell the difference to that 'just won't shut up cry', that one's alright to walk away from.

(just remembered, the drops are called Infacol)

[This message has been edited by pdblake (edited November 10, 2010).]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia is not impressed with Infacol.

With my second child, we tried benadryl in her formula, and it worked so well that I was afraid I'd get addicted to giving it to her. I don't think it's recommended for babies any more.

I've heard of gripe-water and been told that it can be found in the US, but the one time I looked for it, I couldn't find it. Wikipedia isn't very enthusiastic about it, but is a bit more favorable than it is about Infacol.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

I second rich - of all the things you're dealing with now, please don't let feeling guilty or horrible about momentarily hating motherhood get a stranglehold on you. Take deep breaths, tell yourself that many of us have been there, and yes, it *is* as hard as it seems to be, and yes, it *will* pass.

I only had model babies of perfect temperament, and still, there were times I thought I'd go insane, and that being dead would be preferable to living through the moment!

pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wikipedia is not impressed with Infacol."

Wikipedia didn't exist then

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Take deep breaths, tell yourself that many of us have been there, and yes, it *is* as hard as it seems to be, and yes, it *will* pass.

I can certainly understand how tough it is. Keep in there. Our first had what we were initially told was colic. I would take the night shift (anywhere up to 2:00 am) to give my wife at least some sleep, although she had to deal with him crying all day. We wondered if it was reflux - but the doctors were reluctant to diagnose that, saying it was over diagnosed in the past (particularly by parents). At our three month check up with the pediatrician, she told us of a theory that colic may be caused by stomach/intestinal contractions that were deemed painful by the baby's nervous system - we could certainly see some large contractions occurring. But she had us referred to a new parent training class.

At the class, wouldn't you know, he was the perfect baby, no crying, settling in (it was a full day class and took another month to get into). My wife wondered whether it was the sleeping techniques. But right at the end he turned normal. The nurse there saw the signs. It *was* reflux - the poor thing had a raw oesophagus. We'd actually seen all the signs before, but being our first, we both thought that it was normal for a baby. We were able to medicate him, much to all our our relief. The reflux continued until he was nine months, but those first four months were really tough.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

ETA: Thought better of it, and deleted the longish post.

As others have said, "This, too, shall pass."

[This message has been edited by rich (edited November 13, 2010).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Been thinking of posting this for a couple of days finally got to it.

My daughter didn't have colic but she got in a certain mood and needed to be moved-continually. So I usually ended up walking in circle, through the living room and kitchen. Both have two doors. It lasted a few months. So I have some empathy with you.

But we get her back sometimes. For exercise, either on cold rainy days or just too busy to walk with her, we have her walk that same path for half an hour. We haven't done it for a while but it's still an option.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

Thanks for advice and support. I am optimistic that things are getting better or will be better soon. We went out for the day yesterday and we were sure that we were going to have a hellish time with screaming baby, but my older daughter needed some activity time. I strapped the baby in my snuggly and we spent the day walking or sitting with her strapped in. The entire day, she was quiet and happy as can be. And then last night, she let me sleep for four hours straight. So, we seem to be adjusting to each other. And amazingly, the three year old is still handling new baby amazingly well- even with all the screaming.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.