Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » War. War never changes. (A discussion on great lines)

Author Topic: War. War never changes. (A discussion on great lines)
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks.

My days in writing started out not so much at the inspiration of books, but the writing found in great video games, and movies. I'm very fond of great lines often found within these mediums. The quote in the title is from the video game series Fallout, and to me is probably one of the better lines I've heard. It has a magical ability to state so much, with so unbelievably little. Now, not all of you may agree with this particular line, but if you've played the Fallout games, you certainly can't deny it sets up the entire feel for the gritty world within.

Here's my issue. I'm fond of such lines, but I truly wonder if they can be given the same power without the use of vocals. The line from Fallout is great, but not only because of its content; a great deal of it, for me, was the voice actor behind it, and the almost barren emotionless way in which he says it.

My question for you is three-part.
Do you feel writing alone can achieve the same results as spoken lines?
Do any of you have any recommendations for books or articles that discuss the various strengths of each medium?
And lastly, what other lines have stricken you throughout the years? Ones that you hear in your head, that stick with you, hauntingly powerful.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My question for you is three-part.
Do you feel writing alone can achieve the same results as spoken lines?
Do any of you have any recommendations for books or articles that discuss the various strengths of each medium?
And lastly, what other lines have stricken you throughout the years? Ones that you hear in your head, that stick with you, hauntingly powerful.

Number one---Yes. I've read a few.

Number two---I don't think so but I may know of one or two that talk about strengths of the written word.

Number three---I still like the Reeves Superman line. "You got me? Who's got you?" could be slightly misquoted there. Oh, of course this is from a book and is a conversation. Jim Butcher's hero Harry Dresden is on an island, running or racing the bad guys. Another enemy completely unrelated to those he is fighting, from Never Never appears Turns out to be a very powerful wizard. The guy hints that he respects Dresden and doesn't really want to fight him. So Dresden uses up a promise and sends the guy after a donut from a certain shop on the mainland. The other wizard asks, "Likest Thou Jelly within thy doughnut?" Dresden says "Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles 'pon it instead and frosting of white. " Later after beating the bad guys--at a cost--he finds the doughnut-still warm- in a sack sitting on the dashboard of his car.

Same Hero, same book and even though I can't quote this even half way Dresden talks about running, how he practices and how it's one of his better actions. Of course at the moment he was running through a forest at night from a mass of bad people, with various powers, all of who are out to kill him. Oh not to mention the guys with automatic weapons.

There are other lines but that's all I can think of right now.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, Fallout. Hellboy's voice does wonders to that line, doesn't it? Particularly because he is Hellboy. Hell = Fallout

Speaking of video games, I also have a favourable quote. I never heard it spoken out by a voice but I like it nonetheless: "Many fall, but one remains." It's a part of a poem in the Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. A surprisingly deep and complex story for a fantasy setting.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, written lines can be very powerful.

My best example for this: "Winter is coming" (George RR Martin). That one line foreshadows the entirety of what follows as well as sets the mood and themes of the whole series (so far anyway, but I bet it will continue to do so in the later books).

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always enjoyed Heinlein's trick of having a character make a bold philosophical statement in a sentence or two right in the middle of the story. The Notebooks of Lazarus Long was extracted from his book Time Enough For Love, but these things pop up throughout his work.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
13th Warrior ~
"I wish Bulvie was here."
"It is a small matter."

Gladiator ~
"He killed the man who set you free."

Life of Pi ~ first line of part two;
"And the ship sank."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that character in 13th Warrior is named Buliwyf. It was a mutation of the name Beowulf.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few of my many favorites

Two roads diverged in a wood, a I--I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference.

Robert frost -The road not taken.

Stars, hide your fires, let not light see my black and deep desires.

Shakespeare - Macbeth Act 1, Scene 4

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.

Shakespeare - Macbeth Act 5 Scene 5

My ears have yet not drunk a hundred words of thy tongue's uttering.

Shakespeare - Romeo and Juliet Act 2 Scene 2

To really enjoy the better things in life, one must first have experienced the things they are better than.

Oscar Homolke.

The whole world is about three drinks behind.

Humphrey Bogart

these are but a small fraction of the many I love.
And my own written favorite so far-

And the angel asked wisdom to leave his thoughts so he might do something foolish.

W. Alexander

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

Ahhhh-HA! MartinV ~ trying the old 'Buliwyf' ploy on me are you... Well I won't be fooled by such... uhmm... blink, blink... Oh, right... well watayaknow... it IS 'Buliwyf'.
The sad part is that now I remember already being aware of that little fact. Such is the aging mind you know.

Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Y lo mas bueno es que toda la vida es sueno, y suenos, suenos son.

Or, roughly translated:

quote:
And the best thing is, all life is a dream, and dreams are only dreams.

Pedro Calderon de la Barca, Life is a Dream

quote:
I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too.
Then there's a pair of us -- don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know.

Emily Dickinson

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Still can't think of any more but here are two quotes that I like.

Could be called lines

"Never insult a writer. You may wind up being immortalized in ways you may not appreciate." Garrison Keillor."

Kinda goes with that T-shirt. Something like "If you insult me I'll put you in my novel"

""I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)"

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith's post reminds me of my favorite quote, and oft-used signature line:

Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye;
Much sense, the starkest madness.

--Emily Dickinson

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic examples, guys. Keep them coming.

And MartinV: I'll have to replay through Morrowind and discover more of the story stuff. I always found myself too distracted by pillaging everything in the world to focus greatly on the story.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
"Do, or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda, from Star Wars.

"Paradise lies at the feet of the mother."
- Muhammed

"A donkey with a load of holy books is still a donkey."
- traditional Arabic saying.

"One experiment is worth 100 expert opinions."
- Something my dad likes to say.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
- Dune

"He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool. Shun him.
He who knows not, and knows that he knows not is simple. Teach him.
He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep. Wake him.
He who knows, and knows that he knows is wise. Follow him."
-old proverb, possibly Persian or Arabic.

This last one I find useful to think about in terms of writing: The first line is the writer who will never be published, the second is the unpublished writer who will someday get published after a lot of hard work. Third line is the talented writer who will be published once he discovers he can write, and fourth line is the published writer. Its just something I use to keep some perspective on writing.

Huge fan of Fallout series as well, since the first game. Another video game with a great story was Planescape: Torment. I never enjoyed the elder scrolls series as much as the Baldur's Gate series of RPGs.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited November 22, 2010).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I forget who said this line or where I picked it up from, but I often use it to to warn male friends not argue with the ladies

Wicked are the ways of women when it comes to winning wars.

W

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda, from Star Wars.

I keep thinking of that line ever since I saw the movie the first time. Writing is one area it comes to mind in.

The Dune quote sounds like something I've read that a real person said.

Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.” — G.K. Chesterton
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout...

"If we're gonna quote favorite lines, how about moving this to Grist for the Mill?"

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

"It's none of their business that you have to learn how to write. Let them think you were born that way."

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."

Ernest Hemingway

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
"There has been joy: there will be joy again." (Alfred Bester, final line of "The Dmolished Man")

"Cold are women's counsels." (Njal's Saga)

"Those are my entrails and I will not have them misread by a poseur!" (Roger Zelazny, "Creatures of Light and Darkness")

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, some of these quotes do have to do with writing,

But I know I have had other favorite lines from both books and the screen.

There's one from a "Bug's Life" but I have to double check a name.

There is one that Mark del Franco keeps repeating in his books, almost every one. Speaking of the Fey's ability to do wondrous things "It's not magic".

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And in one of the earlier Glen Cook's Garrett books. "People don't look up". He was hiding in a dark alley from two of the main gangster's men. He hid on the top of an outside stair case.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited November 25, 2010).]

Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
It was the roaring of the wild beast, the true and only one.
-- last line from Vicente Blasco Ibáñez, Blood and Sand

(IMO a long dull book, but the last scene is powerful. There is a stupendously bad translation on Project Gutenberg.)

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

quote:
Next day Andrey Yefimitch was buried. Mihail Averyanitch and Daryushka were the only people at the funeral.

Anton Chekov ~ Ward No. 6 ~ last line.

quote:
The town was a little one, worse than a village, and it was inhabited by scarcely any but old people who died with an infrequency that was really annoying.

Anton Chekov ~ Rothschild's Fiddle ~ first line

[This message has been edited by DRaney (edited January 01, 2011).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.