Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Hatrack almost killed me

Author Topic: Hatrack almost killed me
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm in Arizona. Just put a full day of work driving in Nevada and picking up a load (happy Labor Day). I try to keep in modest shape so I took a nice walk. Its nearing dusk but a smooth paved road makes for a good walking path.

Anyway, I get out my blackberry and start to read a post history wrote while I walk. I hear a hiss under my feet. I see a 2 foot snake, think it was a rattler but could have been a copperhead, lunge at me. I jump, really high, I mean clearing a track and field hurdle. The snake misses and retreats into the weeds.

So now I am safely in my truck, grateful 911 wasn't needed.

Ironic I almost became history while reading Doc Bob's post.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 06, 2011).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, this past Saturday there was a local guy who wrote a story about his meeting with a copperhead. The snake didn't survive the encounter. Someone with him had a shovel. He said that when the headless body struck him, he fell to the ground instead of jumping.

Glad you can jump. And no harm taken.

Posts: 5283 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the moral is, if you get the urge to text while you're doing something else, even just walking...conquer it.
Posts: 8747 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone else amused that this story happened to a guy using the alias "Snapper"? Or am I reaching too low?
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you are ok.

And I'm appreciative that the thread title is not "History almost killed me!" (although there is something appropriately George Santayana in such a statement).

I am also glad the moral is not deemed (as yet): "Don't read Dr. Bob's posts."

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you're alright snapper.

Oddly enough I've just finished writing a scene where a character fights and kills a large snake

[This message has been edited by pdblake (edited September 06, 2011).]

Posts: 776 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you're okay, Frank! Gotta keep your eyes open!
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.