Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Trying to Locate Some Artwork

Author Topic: Trying to Locate Some Artwork
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple weeks back, in the middle of our board outage, I ran across a thumbnail reproduction of this print, which I learned was titled "Inquisition" by one Jose Brito. (You might know it as "Naked Hot Chick About to Be Tortured"---an accurate if crude description.)

It was a black-and-white print from a painting, and I was intrigued enough to try to track it down, maybe find a color picture of the painting itself. Online, I learned that the original painting was exhibited at an exposition in Paris in 1900. (The print comes from a book about the exposition; all reproductictions evidently derive from this.)

Nothing much else could be found. I couldn't find anything about the painting beyond what it said in the book. Google Images had a lot of sites that carried reproductions of the print, but nothing with the original painting. The few images in color proved to be colorized versions of the print. Wikipedia didn't have anything. I couldn't track down the artist, or the current whereabouts of the painting.

Do you guys know of any online resource that might help track something like this down? I've had better luck with tracking down other things online, but this one proved a stumper. Any suggestions?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I see what you mean by not finding much.

I see the art is actually a process called Photogravure, something I'd never heard of.

I found its also named: A Martyr of Fanaticism

And I found this publisher info: Photogravure after Jose Brito, copyrighted by G. Barrie & Son

I did find a spanish wikipedia article on Jose, but it was short and I couldn't read it. I would suggest the Library of Congress link below. There is likely many search avenues based on the information there. I am just too tired to continue searching tonight.

Photogravure
Library of Congress Listing

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Missed the name in my reading from the Google Books publication, which was where I learned of its origins in the exposition. Couldn't locate the Spanish Wikipedia article, though...Spanish Wikipedia aked me if I meant "Jose Bravo"...

The Library of Congress Listing looks like a useful reference site for many things besides this...thanks for the link...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
So I found that Spanish Wiki article again here is the link.

It also links to this page. I used Google Translate to read it and it give some good information about the Artist.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I take the languages in the links to be Portugese, not Spanish---I never studied either, so I'm not certain. But, near as I can tell, it's the right painter---under "Jose de Brito," which is perhaps why I couldn't locate anything before.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Further research, armed with the artist's correct name (Jose de Brito), and the actual [French] title of the painting ("Martyr du Fanatisme," or "Martyr to [or of] Fanaticism") helped me locate more information

Among other things, I found a picture of the artist in the studio among his works, among which is this work in question---it's a huge canvas, five-by-ten feet or maybe larger. Also several other interesting pictures, some of which have come up for auction at reasonable prices.

But I haven't been able to locate this work, neither a color picture or its current location...not yet...

redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this document on José de Brito discussing his work.

It states that "Mártir do Fanatismo" is at the Museu do Chiado where it awaits restoration.

I tried searching for Brito on the museum's website but had no luck.

You could perhaps try using their online contact form and ask if they have that painting in their collection.

Edited to add:

I found some more information about the painting here.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ah! The third link gives me what I was looking for all along: (1) the painting's current whereabouts (Instituto dos Museus e da Conservação, Palácio Nacional da Ajuda, Lisbon, Portugal), and (2) a full color picture of the original work.

Thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.