Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » I've been gone too long

Author Topic: I've been gone too long
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone. I have been away for awhile. Moving, starting a new job, and then my wife lost her job. So I just haven't been around here much. I hope none of you were waiting on my input for a life changing choice. [Smile]
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreatNovus
Member # 9671

- posted      Profile for GreatNovus   Email GreatNovus         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see you back EVOC, one of the coolest regs around. What do you do at your new job? Best of luck to your wife getting new employment, mine has been out of work for well over a year. Although that can help put the urgency to write in you. There is a brightside to everything. . . sometimes you have to get the flashlight to find it though. [Smile]
Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back...I suppose lots of us must have life-altering events that take us away from the boards and / or writing...just hang in there and do the best you can.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

Thanks guys. I am working is a security control center for PGE (the power utility out here). In a very brief summary, I control access, monitor CCTV, and handle alarms for just about every PGE facility in the California. Something like nearly 400 sites. Too bad I don't get paid per site.

My wife is looking but the economy is rough everywhere. I was out of work for a year before I got this job.

You're right Robert we all have life that gets in our way. My biggest worry is I don't even make enough in one month to cover our rent. And my wife just got her rejection letter from Unemployment... so it is about to get real rough around here.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case Welcome back.

Indeed, RL can interfere with writing and various other things.

Don't you mean PG&E or did they shorten their name?
Depending on where you live though there are new businesses popping up even here that have some of the worst unemployment numbers around.

Rejection from Unemployment??? They're suppose to be taking everyone. Without asking for personal details that's not right.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so, LD. Not everyone qualifies for unemployment. You have to lose your job to no fault of your own. Faults would be like getting fired or if you quit. Then you can't collect. I don't know the circumstances surrounding EVOC's wife, but yes, people can be denied unemployment.

EVOC; I feel your pain, my friend. And you're in a worse predicament than I was. My husband lost his job and looked for another for two years. We were beginning to dip into our retirement funds to make ends meet when we decided he should try for disability. His health was the reason he lost his job and couldn't hold down another one. He got it without going through a lawyer three months after he applied. We even paid the house off with the back pay he received. I prayed and cried to God the entire time asking for guidance and for Him to take us through and onto firm footing once more, and He did.

Just remember that God never gives us more than we can handle. Keep your faith strong and He will see you through this. Things will work out. You'll see. Maybe God wants you to travel a different path, and this is His way of making you do it.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've known people who were fired and still got unemployment. Many years ago I got half fired--at least-- after two days on a job and still got back on it. And they are supposed to have eased requirements along with making it longer.

But I agree with Crystal's last statement. Sometimes open doors are back doors or located someplace different.

And I should have said I know the feeling, been there.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've known people who were fired and still got unemployment.
Me, for one. And I got the job back in the end. But it was a financially draining experience, nonetheless. (Finished my last finished novel during that time off, too.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

It is a very long story. My wife has appealed the unemployment department's decision. Only time will tell. But time is running out on our finances. I don't have a retirement fund to dip into. I'll be paying rent with the last bit of money we have left. I don't know how I will pay for my son's preschool. I think I will sell my laptop, that should cover it until school ends in the beginning of June. The next step will be to sell one of the cars to try and get enough to pay two more months rent.

LD, yea I mean PG&E.

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a life insurance policy or policies? These collect dividens (sp?) that are yours to spend any way you wish.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

quote:
Originally posted by Crystal Stevens:
Do you have a life insurance policy or policies? These collect dividens (sp?) that are yours to spend any way you wish.

Unfortunately no. We've always had to live paycheck to paycheck.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

No charities in Town that could help?

Sometimes The Salvation Army has a fund to help pay rent.

Catholic Charities? Love Inc. ?

Isn't there a Government fund that is suppose to help. Even food stamps might help divert some money to rent.

EVOC
Member # 9381

We are working on some government aide. Though I hope not to be on it long.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I don't blame you for that.

I don't think you mentioned it but do you have any stories out? Plan to send some? A lot of magazines take E-submissions so you don't have to worry about the cost beyond the price of being online.

Been praying for you, good surprises can happen.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.