Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Neil Armstrong, R. I. P.

Author Topic: Neil Armstrong, R. I. P.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
You've probably heard already...still, it was quite a shock when I heard. I can still remember our family rushing home from vacation to get there in time to see Armstrong take those first steps on the moon---we just made it.

SF connection? Well...you older types don't need any reminders, but for the young 'uns, there are a lot of "first man on the moon" stories in SF, some classics (Clarke, Heinlein), some less so. But Neil Armstrong is the one who actually did it.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noah Fregger
Member # 9911

- posted      Profile for Noah Fregger   Email Noah Fregger         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I missed the moon walk due the stubborn fact of my nonexistence at the time.

It was a fantastic feat of human enginuity, and i get a little upset when people try to say the whole thing was a hoax. What a slap in the face for the people who risked their lives up there.

He was a great man, and one that will not soon be forgotten.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the hoax thing should be treated as a compliment. Some people can't even comprehend what others actually went to do and achieved. The only way for them to process this is to declare it unreal. That's simple envy, I believe.

I didn't see Neil walk the Rock live, but he's earned my respect.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.