Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » David Farland's son

Author Topic: David Farland's son
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I've looked for this already but I still might have missed a copy some place.

David's son was hurt in a bad accident. This was set up to help pay for his medical expenses

check here

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
There is another front to this. Today they are doing a book bomb for David's book Nightingale. If you use this link http://amzn.to/17oRLRN then anything you buy on Amazon gives David a 5-8% kickback.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
Glad to help.
Wishing and praying for his son's full recovery.

I do wonder, though. How could good Dave not have possessed health insurance for his family? The thought of not having it for mine makes me shudder.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The hazards of self-employment.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

quote:
Originally posted by Pyre Dynasty:
The hazards of self-employment.

Perhaps for some who are very low income earners.
However, I know from experience that it is possible for most to select a very high deductable and thereby have affordable insurance that would cover terrible tragedies like this.

Anyway, I have purchased both of Dave's offerings and continue to send my prayers and good wishes for his son's speedy and full recovery.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I don't know what his income level is as in how many books-does he have any other pen names, he does per year and if any Hollywood types buy the ability to maybe make a movie from his books. Sometimes that last happens even though no movie is ever even considered. Or how many other languages his books are translated into ?

Or how much a very bad event(can't figure out the spelling on that other word) insurance costs, It's suppose to be a lot less than every day insurance. But he does have a family to buy it for.

It does seem like something could be worked out somewhere even for the self-employed though.

But there's no way one of the government plans will pay for even part of it? They have in some cases.

In either case I bought both books too.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
How much does health insurance cost over there? I'm curious, in part, because my sister now lives over there.

Brandon Sanderson also has a blurb for him. Will pray for him.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

The cost depends on which state you life in--some like Caif. demand Insurance cover about everything you can think of, some states have few companies while others have a bunch so competition is better. And if you get it through your work or just by yourself.

I've heard that some families pay 400 to 600 dollars a month--we don't even in Cailf--to cover everyone.

Some families have a special program where they set aside the money into a special savings account and they withdraw the money as needed for medical expenses. They get to choose which Doctor to visit etc. They do pay for that Bad event insurance with that word I still can't spell even close. Can't pronounce it right either.

I think they save some money over normal insurance. But in either case they have more choices.

[ April 11, 2013, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
It also depends on other things, like pre-existing conditions. In California, there are currently only a couple of plans available if you have a pre-existing condition (hoping for better next year). Last year, health insurance would have cost me over $1300/month--if I could afford it, which I can't. And that's just for me. It'd be more this year. There are all kinds of reasons why someone might not have insurance.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

Man, that is expensive. We pay just under $300 a month for the family here. And something like what happened to Ben would be covered through the public system if we didn't have insurance.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Sometimes the government does step in here. But there appears to be no rhyme or reason why one person is helped and another rejected. Income is one factor but sometimes it doesn't seem to be.

It might also depends on who applies. An individual or a hospital that already has connections with that program.

But right now things are in flux and that will get worse in the next year.

There's more to explain but it will be too close to politics.

History
Member # 9213

Well, as always, there is more to the story:

Through no fault of his own, Farland cannot obtain medical coverage due to pre-existing health conditions. His wife did have a job that allowed them to carry group health insurance, but got laid off during the worst of the recession. When asked how authors survive these kinds of disasters, Farland answered, "It's only through people working together. People are amazingly kind in times like this."
--http://www.prweb.com/releases/book/bomb/prweb10626632.htm

Of which Dave states in his Daily Kick: A press release was written about our book bomb and is now on PRWeb. The more people that view it or link to it, the higher the press release's ranking will climb. So please share it if you can.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Brendan
Member # 6044

That is another difference over here - health insurance is not linked in any way to employment, it is something that each house/person chooses (or not) as part of their own household/personal budget. (Of course, you could say, if you haven't got a job, you can't afford it, so there is a link, I suppose.)

With the pre-existing condition, wouldn't they just exclude that condition from the policy? They do that with other policies, e.g. income protection. (Of course, that may mean that it is better to save yourself than pay insurance.)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Over here it evolved into a benefit at work-along with paid vacations, paid holidays etc.-and somehow in the last few years it became a right that has to be supplied by the employer.

Which is all I will say about that. Any more would get too political right now.

And somehow I thought the book bomb was for one day.

kmsf
Member # 9905

- posted      Profile for kmsf   Email kmsf         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to give an example. If you can get a policy with an HSA (Health Savings Account) like the one we have for our family of four, it will cost you $400+ per month in premiums. We then put about $500 per month in our HSA and use every bit of it each year. In many cases a pre-existing condition will put a person out of the market.

I hope as people become aware of this situation they will prayerfully consider helping.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.