Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Pacific Rim

Author Topic: Pacific Rim
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched Pacific Rim and I simply need to gush about this movie. It has been so long since I've watched something that was fun, bright and hopeful. Anti-heroes need not apply. I really enjoyed how del Toro combined Chtulhu mythos with Mecha and Kaiju.

I can summarize this movie as simply refreshing.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
I also loved this movie! Giant robots fighting giant aliens. YES.

[ July 28, 2013, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: tesknota ]

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

Last night I was simply too in love with Pacific Rim to form any coherent review. It took a lot of willpower to write my initial post without succumbing to a gleeful appeal for lovers of fantasy sci-fi to go see this movie.

This movie will appeal to people who...

Hear Peter Cetera's song Glory of Love and suddenly feel compelled to belt out the chorus.

Bonnie Tyler's song Holding Out For A Hero makes you want to dance.

You sometimes find yourself quoting Mr. Miyagi.

No matter how many times you've seen The Goonies, if it's on TV you stop what you're doing and end up watching the whole thing.

You know Vasquez's reply to Hudson's question in Aliens - "Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?"

You know what Daikini and Peck mean.

The only trilogy is the Original Trilogy.

You know who Ray Harryhausen is.

You value teamwork, honor, and sacrifice.

You like watching giant robots smash giant monsters without shaky cam!

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really my thing, but...somebody somewhere said it was the best live-action episode of Evangelion they've ever seen.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

I guess those who say that are too young to remember Robotech.

Edited to add:
http://halalhassan.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/for-the-last-time-pacific-rim-is-not-evangelion/

[ July 29, 2013, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: redux ]

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I really want to see this movie.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it also. I would have liked to have seen more done with the monsters and their origins especially coming from Del Toro but overall I enjoyed it very much.

It probably is more like Robotech and other mecha anime than like Evangelion...more straight action and less psychology, although I assume the blue streaks in the Asian girls hair were meant as a Rei Ayanami reference.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.