Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Tom Clancy Passed into Grace

Author Topic: Tom Clancy Passed into Grace
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Author of blockbuster Cold War novel thrillers and other international intrigues, Tom Clancy passed into grace at the age of 66 this day. His Cold War subject matter stands out as exciting reading for me and for millions. Nuclear annihilation is a tough act to follow.

I for one feel that reading his novels and watching the movies they were made into in an indirect way helped me to appreciate Cold War politics and cope with the terrifying demons of international policy contentions underlying the era. I'm a boomer, baby boomer generation and intercontinental missile (boomer) generation. I also learned quite a bit about writing from examining his methods and aesthetics. Thank you, Tom Clancy, your novels were relevant and meaningfful for and to me.

[ October 05, 2013, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Was surprised to hear that...just the day before, I was looking at a reprint copy of The Hunt for Red October in the local supermarket. (An anniversary reissue.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that on Google+ but not the details.

He would be one to learn to how to write form even if you aren't into his genre.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Clancy's writing had quite a lot in common with adventure science fiction. His featured rock-ribbed heroes, wily villains and technological wonders. In fact I think he did the technological marvel thing better than all but a very few science fiction writers.

I've only read a few of his novels -- the Hunt for Red October is the only one I recall off the top of my head -- but I do remember the feel of them. They were stories of individuals caught up in huge, shifting geopolitical struggle, like an ant crawling across the landscape to the single exact point where it could deflect the course of an onrushing avalanche. There's quite an art to pulling that off.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A magazine obituary piece I just read says that Clancy had not been in the armed forces before writing The Hunt for Red October---I, a would-be writer, find that somewhat enhartening, as I've never been involved in many of the things I write about. (Clancy's research was impeccable, a detail I feel I sometimes neglect.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.