Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » MUSIC: You drive me crazy...

Author Topic: MUSIC: You drive me crazy...
Brooke18
Member # 10220

- posted      Profile for Brooke18   Email Brooke18         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a music freak! I feel like I can't live without it! Unfortunately, sometimes I come across a song that overwhelms me. By overwhelming me I mean the whole 'jumping up and down/singing along(no matter how bad I am)/crying because it's so amazing' kind of overwhelming. Do I make any sense? Good question!
Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
More or less. [Big Grin]

Don't cry all that often but there are times I need to sing along and sometimes just sits and listen to it, instead of writing.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brooke18
Member # 10220

I think I sing along more than anything. I used to think I could go pro until I realized that I sound like a dying cat. Oh well, that's okay. I think I'll just stick with writing, but I do still sing along when I'm alone! [Razz]
Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A big chunk of my life would be empty without music. I listen to music all the time, usually while doing something else---but if I'm singing or playing along with it, I've got to give that my full attention. (Awkward while I'm driving.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brooke18
Member # 10220

Yeah, I agree. I know that I only half pay attention when I'm driving if I sing along [Wink]
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the problem with being an intellectual giant. You go off on one of those deep thoughts, and the next thing you know you're in an accident.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brooke18
Member # 10220

Yeah, I always have to be extra careful when there are more cars on the road. I usually only sing when I'm comfortable and I am skittish when it comes to driving. I was actually one of those teens that was scared to drive. Still am, but I'm working on it. I guess it's the dangers of driving that scare me. I'm always careful though but I know accidents happen. Luckily, I haven't been in one yet. Hope it stays that way!
Steve 46th
Member # 10113

- posted      Profile for Steve 46th   Email Steve 46th         Edit/Delete Post 
I am an excellent air bassist, except that I have a bad habit of partaking during the times I told myself I was going to write.

I'm at the point now where the only time I listen to music during my writing time is when I'm developing a new idea or writing the first draft. The tone of the story determines the genre of music I play. Exempli gratia: battle scenes calls for death metal. Once it's time for the edits and rewrites, though, the music goes off; with as far back as music and I go back, clicking the OFF button was one of the hardest writing skills I've ever developed. [Big Grin]

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a musician, but, oddly enough, I never feel the desire for music when I write. One of the only times I don't want to listen to music, actually. I think it's because I tend to pay attention to music and analyze it, and that sucks too much of my "brain bandwidth" away from my writing. My two creative pursuits don't really cross over.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There was an ad for a car (or a service), a couple of years ago now, that went like this: This guy was going along in his car, singing a children's song---"the wheels of the bus go round and round," I think---and he got a call asking about something the car told them it needed. The guy asked. "What else is the car telling you?"

I thought, "Gee, that's really going to sell the car and the service." Just what do you want your car telling outsiders about?

Brooke18
Member # 10220

Haha, that's interesting! I want my car to tell outsiders that I love Jesus! I basically only listen to 89.7 WMHK [Big Grin]
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

No radio station down here plays exactly what I'd like to listen to---most are pretty far away from it. I hope my next car comes with a radio with an iPod connector. Then I could use the real radio stations for news and live events like the Grand Ole Opry or a NASCAR race.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
No radio station down here plays exactly what I'd like to listen to---most are pretty far away from it. I hope my next car comes with a radio with an iPod connector. Then I could use the real radio stations for news and live events like the Grand Ole Opry or a NASCAR race.

You could get a CD player for your car <<shrug>>?
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I can't play my native American flutes when driving, but I do enjoy making my own music when I can. I have many songs posted on you tube if anyone here is interested. You can find them under my real name "Ginger Karns". Here's a sample of one I did about a month or so ago that I call "Dreams of Spring" that I hope you'll enjoy on one of my smallest flutes:

http://youtu.be/l_3VYOnEmbY

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
You could get a CD player for your car <<shrug>>?
Got one. I can burn a CD of (usually) twenty-five songs...but my iTunes songfile is closing on six thousand different tracks (with some repeatage, like multiple Beatles tracks from assorted releases). (Reminds me I want to see if I can get a few more today.)
Brooke18
Member # 10220

Robert, what if you tried creating another apple ID? Also, there's a cord that you can buy with a tape adapter-thing where you can hook your ipod to the tape player and play it that way if you have a tape player. If you have a small outlet where you control the radio that looks the same as the headphone plug on your ipod, you can buy a cord for that and play your music that way. There's a cord for just about everything, or some type of stand that connects ipods to media outlets for cars. Stop by Best Buy or places like that and ask about it. They can tell you anything you need to know. Hope that helps!
Steve 46th
Member # 10113

- posted      Profile for Steve 46th   Email Steve 46th         Edit/Delete Post 
We bought a family car at the end of 2011 that still had six months left on the original owner's Sirius subscription. Believe me when I say I massaged my ear drums to the Liquid Metal station on a regular basis...but I did check out other stations just to stay well rounded. I let the subscription expire because I simply don't drive that car much these days to justify the expense, but I do make good use of the CD player. But, as it's been mentioned, I want my next vehicle to allow me to play from an MP3 player.

S!

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brooke18
Member # 10220

Yeah, I think MP3 players are better in the car. I personally use an iPhone all the time for my music because I get tired of ads and people talking! I rarely ever use my CD player, but I love collecting CDs.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

I can see the advantage of an MP3 player over a CD player, don't get me wrong. My only fear is not being able to hear what's going on around me while I'm driving down the road, like a warning honk from another driver, squealing tires that might warn me of a collision particularly from the rear or side, sirens telling me to pull over and let emergency vehicles to pass, etc. It seems to me you wouldn't be able to hear these things with buds in your ears. JMO
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Tried tape adapters, two different kinds---the "cassette" part ejected each and every time. Tried two different kinds of FM repeaters---couldn't pick up the signal. (Those I put to use around the house with radios that could.) I could replace the radio, but the last time I did that it just ruined my dashboard, so I'd rather not.

Had an MP3 player before I had an iPod---it stopped working, at all, after about six months.

My music tastes are wide-ranging. I like to set it on "shuffle" and be surprised by what comes up. Here's what came up when I listened to it in the shower this morning (that's where I used one of those FM repeaters, too):

"Let It Please Be You," the Desires (doo-wop)
"Ring of Fire," Johnny Cash (country)
"The Twist," Hank Ballard and the Midnighters (rock 'n' roll)
"John Henry," Stringbean (bluegrass)
"Emotion," Samantha Sang (disco)
"Heartbreak Hotel," Elvis Presley (rock 'n ' roll)
"Learning the Game," Buddy Holly (also rock 'n' roll)
"Hallo, was machst Du Heut' Daisy (You're Driving Me Crazy)," the Comedian Harmonists (German)

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, you take really long showers.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Is "was machst Du Heut'" some kind of slang for "you're driving me crazy"? I ask because from what I recall about German, "was machst Du Heut'" translates directly into "what you are doing/making today."
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Not sure. I copied it off the CD label. "You're Driving Me Crazy" might just refer to the English / American lyrics to the song---unlike some other Comedian Harmonists songs, I don't recognize this one.

I'd take the title to mean, "Hello, what are you doing today, Daisy?" Wikipedia has it as "Hello, what'cha doin' today, Daisy?"

quote:
Robert, you take really long showers.
The bulk of the time is taken up with washing and drying my hair.
Brooke18
Member # 10220

Personally, I love the iPhone better than the iPod because you can take it anywhere & only have to use one device. Robert, I absolutely agree with the Shuffle thing! That's the only way I listen to my music!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Right now I think the battery in my iPod is dying---seems to run out faster than before. (Just replaced a cell phone that was doing that.)

I suppose I could've upgraded to an iPhone, but my neo-Luddite tendencies make me shy away from things. I embrace what I think I need---though often I don't know I need it till I have it. And my cell phone, old or new, spends most of its time rolling around in the glove compartment of my car.

I have aproximately fifty-six hundred tracks on my iPod---"tracks," and not "songs," 'cause there's a lot of duplication. In particular, I have a lot of variant Beatles material---the first CD issue, the 2009 remastered box set, the mono box, the Red and Blue albums, the American versions, stereo versions, mono versions, live versions, alternate takes, demos, and the Huge Medley from Abbey Road recorded on a CD off a vinyl album 'cause I can't figure out how to paste different files together and it's best appreciated as a whole rather than short and incomplete tracks.

But there's other variant material, too...

Also length, multiple tracks within one piece, and the random play I like, prevents me from, say, loading classical symphonies onto it, much as I like them, too...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.