Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Life, stress, and writing

Author Topic: Life, stress, and writing
ForlornShadow
Member # 9758

- posted      Profile for ForlornShadow   Email ForlornShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I need to post something because I haven't been on here in probably a year or more. Work, school, and relationships have kept me from writing and interacting with other writers. So I feel as a member of this community that I should apologize for my absence and potentially further absence. I know I should set aside time for relaxation (aka: writing); I just haven't figured out how to do that yet. How does everyone else do it? How do you find the time, even if its just an hour, to sit down and write?

I feel like the world around me is constantly telling me to move forward with things that are"productive", as if writing isn't productive; or at least the writing that I enjoy doing. Maybe the idea would be to become a published author; and while that career path would be amazing to me, its not something I want to make into a career. I know that sounds contradictory but I don't know how to describe it any other way. Anyway, thanks for reading this; I'm not looking for sympathy or anything like that. Really I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmmaSohan
Member # 10917

- posted      Profile for EmmaSohan   Email EmmaSohan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I am able to work hard enough to drive myself into depression. So your posting has yellow flags for me. If writing is one more task, don't.

But you have to do something to enjoy/fulfill yourself. If being productive, or having relationships -- or something you're already doing -- works for you, then great. Otherwise, you have to make time for yourself. Anything else is inefficient (cf. depression).

Um, I think everyone will give you the same advice. And you probably already figured it out.

I also think you have to "resonate" to whatever that thing is that does give you pleasure.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.