Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Hey there, I'm Annie

Author Topic: Hey there, I'm Annie
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a mom, three kids, youngest still in diapers - the other two in school, phew. I'm tired. All the time. What else is new? I'm late. Everywhere. Drives me bananas. Makes me feel like a failure. I mean, heck, my only job is this mom thing right now. It's all I have to do. Why the heck can't I get places on time?

I recently discovered something rather interesting. If I think about it, I can teleport. Yep - you heard me right, teleport. I thought it was crazy too, but my friend Stella told me there's all kinds of moms who can do it. Like a weird secret society kind of thing. Best of all, it means I can get places on time. And maybe finally get accepted by the in-crowd moms at my older kids' school. I don't know why it matters, but it does. Wish I were more confident in myself, maybe it wouldn't matter that much.

My husband's a nice guy. I remember when we met. My heart did flip-flops. He works too much and gets exasperated with me more than I like, mostly about how I'm late everywhere. He's got a big awards banquet at work this week. I better not be late.

Did I mention that Stella tells me that the moms who teleport have to deal with premature aging? I think she's full of baloney. She's a couple years older than me and always talking about how I'm so young compared to her. I love her dearly, but she annoys the snot out of me sometimes.

The kids are my joy and my everything. Ella's such a help around the house, Michael is so inquisitive, and Jimmy's going to be walking any day now. Can't believe it. This is it for us, so I better not screw it up.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

Have you tried teleporting your kids? Do they know about it?

How old/what grades are your kids?

What are you afraid of?

What makes you really mad?

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited September 08, 2008).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

The kids are usually with me when I 'port, and they don't seem to notice.

The baby, Jimmy, is just a year old but not walking yet. The middle, Michael, is in first grade, and Ella is in 3rd.

I'm afraid of mice, spiders, and creaky floorboards. Seriously, they creep me out.

The way these Super Moms prance around at school and town makes me mad. I mean, who died and anointed them? You know in their fancy cars with their perfect hair and perfect makeup and expensive jewelry. I hear that Marci even has a pool boy. A pool boy! Can you imagine. I get by with the park district pool. A pool boy, what must that be like?

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't notice!? My preschooler sure would; ya can't slip anything past that kid. I bet he'd think it was cool. Heck, so would I!

How far can you go? Do you have to be able to see your destination, or remember it, or is a photo of a new place enough?

If you haven't read Jumper by Gould, you have to. Its way better than the movie.

What is your secret angst? Come on, spill. Everyone's got skeletons

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited September 09, 2008).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marchpane
Member # 8021

- posted      Profile for marchpane   Email marchpane         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Annie, lovely to meet you. You sound busy - you must find your ability really useful!

How did you discover you could teleport?

Do you teleport often, or is it something that you try to do only when you really need to?

What did you want to be when you were a kid?

If you were granted three wishes, what would they be?

Posts: 91 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

I don't really know how far I can go. My friend stella says that the farther you go the higher the cost. I haven't tested that out yet. So far I've only gone places I go all the time anyway - home, school, the dance studio, soccer fields.

My secret angst? That I'm a complete failure as a parent and a person. But I stuff that one way back in the closet or I couldn't function on a daily basis.

I discovered I could teleport by accident. It's a pretty funny story, actually, which would be why my writer wrote the story.

I only just discovered i have this talent so I've been using it a lot lately. It's pretty cool. Stella says it'll make me look old...but ... wait, what was i saying?

When I was a kid I wanted to become a geologist! Turns out, though, that you have to do that through the engineering college and that's annoying. I went with a sociology major instead. My dad still rolls his eyes about that. I worked for a research firm as an analyst for a while before having kids. Maybe I'll go back to that one day.

Three wishes? Well...I have three beautiful children, so that's easy - I'd wish for contentment for each of them. I don't mean happiness, because we can't always be happy all the time, but I'd like them to feel satisfied with their lives, content with their choices, at peace with themselves.

But if I were to keep them all just for me it'd be for great skin, getting places on time so I don't look like such a buffoon coming in the back late, and the ability to down a bunch of margaritas without gaining weight or getting a hangover!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.