Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Thylar Bluecloaks (from Twilight of Tomorrow)

Author Topic: Thylar Bluecloaks (from Twilight of Tomorrow)
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

- posted      Profile for bandgeek9723   Email bandgeek9723         Edit/Delete Post 
BANG
[Thylar ducks as he enters the tavern]
Perhaps I've come at a bad time? No, well then, I suppose I should introduce myself. My name is Thylar Bluecloaks. I am the captain of the Agul Siento. It is the ship in the harbor that you see with the blue sails. Yes, I see that you're looking at my scar.
[runs his hand down the thin scar along his left cheek]
Yes I received it when I was still a young child, younger than that boy sitting at the table of there.
[points at Ryel]
I suppose you're going to ask me about it, well, go ahead.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

- posted      Profile for Ben Trovato   Email Ben Trovato         Edit/Delete Post 
Captain, eh? Nice ship. How'd you get it? Is it a formal military comission? A privateer? A merchant-man? If it's a merchant, do you work for yourself or a company? How did you get the scar? Annoy a soldier who told you to polish his boots?

I apologize if I am asking too many questions, but you seem like a person with quite a story to tell, and I [spreads hands] as you can see.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

- posted      Profile for bandgeek9723   Email bandgeek9723         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever told you that you talk far too much?

I purchased it, and had the blue sails custom made. I am a merchant yes, and no I do not work for a company. I am a private trader that seeks out special goods for my clients, mainly rare plants and animals from far corners of the globe. For the past few months I've been doing the normal trade routes in the Western Sea. You know, Marathi, Osiris, and a dozen other smaller ports. Not glamorous work, but it pays.

This scar is a reminder. It was on my first voyage as a cabin boy. I was twelve, and we were going into the "free cities." The only reason that they are called free is because they are not part of any kingdom. They are nearly lawless, and slavery is rampant. You could say that they are free only to those who can afford them.
Anyway, the captain had this fool idea that was money to be made in these "untapped markets," it didn't quite work out that way. We were captured by the slavers, almost as soon as we landed.

Make a long story short, we escaped, but I received this scar as a token.

You what?

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

- posted      Profile for Ben Trovato   Email Ben Trovato         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me about your trade routes. Much pirates?

My apologies if my conversation annoys you. It's been a lonely time.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

No more pirates than you'd find anywhere else in the world.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah a captain. A man of rank. Do you take pride in your position? Do you get lonely aboard on long voyages?
Do you have a port in every storm, a wife or seven perhaps? Do you have family?
Are you a man of honor?
Do you own slaves? If not, who rows?
I see you have escaped, where others cannot. Are you better than those slaves who cannot escape as you did? Do you have any skills, or magic to assist you?
You seem a man of few words. Spill a few for me. I give you drink to loosen the tounge.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

I wouldn't say that I am a "man of rank" as you put it. No one awarded me this rank, I merely had earned enough money to buy a ship. But yes, I do take pride in my position, I worked hard to get where I am today.

A port in every storm [laughs] I do enjoy the pleasures of the flesh whenever I can, but no, no wife. The only family I have is my father in Osiris, though I haven't spoken with him in years.

I would consider myself to be a man of honor, yes. If being honorable means to do as you see to be morally right.

You think that I would own slaves after almost becoming one myself? Are you calling me a hypocrite? The crew rows when the need arises, that is after all what I pay them for.

If I could, I would return to the free cities and liberate every slave there, but that is a task that is impossible for one man to execute alone.

I am a mortal man, I have no tricks or magic to stand behind, i have only my brain, my sword, and the men who stand with me.

Ah [takes a swig of the drink] this tastes like Grenton Brandy. For a rude son of Bricriu, you have good taste.

bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

Time has passed in this universe. All of the main characters have met each other and the first book is finished and my planned second book is about to start

Recent events have compelled me to travel south again. I am going to face my demons. I've had a lot of experience with excising demons lately and I feel that it's time that I do so with some of mine. I'm returning to Ilya and the place where I almost became a slave those long years ago...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.