Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Lia Jaliszu, spy

Author Topic: Lia Jaliszu, spy
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

- posted      Profile for Ben Trovato   Email Ben Trovato         Edit/Delete Post 
Lady Lia of the Jaliszu.

[a darkened room; she rises.]

Greetings, my lord. If you are expecting the young man who comes oft here, I am afraid you are in error. Your spy was arrested an hour ago on charges of indolence. You might warn him, or join him. These are dangerous, desperate days with the King gone. So many careless tongues…so many ears in the walls, creeping and spying and whispering reports to their masters.
How do I know?
[smiles]
Please do not be obtuse, good sir. You want information from me; who I serve, what he wants, why he has not moved already. You want to know if he is strong enough to protect you when the fire comes down. I am willing to oblige your curiousity.
So, ask your questions. Sir.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... can I start off by asking who am I? Where are we (planet, continent, country, city, street address)?

(Aka, I'm having a little trouble with the use of second-person here, because it feels like she's addressing another character in the story.)

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

- posted      Profile for Ben Trovato   Email Ben Trovato         Edit/Delete Post 
I amend myself…[brief hesitation] So you are not one of the old blood nobles…forgive me. This is the Emerald Palace, this is a parlor, that is a couch. Sit, if you would.
It has been three weeks since the King disappeared from his chambers, in the middle of the night, three weeks since his chancellor raised the alarm, eighteen days since the city was sealed off.—you know of this, yes?
My master is the Duke Raul. You believe you know him? Yes, he is powerful enough to protect his agents. He is powerful enough to take the green-gemmed Throne if he wants it…but, no, sir; you are wrong to look so. He is a generous man. My family is the proof of that.
I keep watch on the palace for him.

[A/N. It feels like she’s addressing someone inside the story, say a minor third character, because her method of dealing with completely unknown people would be to have someone else talk to them, and eavesdrop. And stare a lot. That’s kind of hard to encompass in a post.]

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
So Lia, what does he do for your family that shows his generosity? What do your parents do for a living? Got any siblings? How old are you, where were you born, and how did you get mixed up in this whole spy business?

And since you're guarding the palace, what kind of fighting skills do you have? Can you kill me with your bare hands? Or are you supposed to just watch and report?

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

[slight scorn]
It is considered impolite to question a lady’s word--but, no matter.
I am Lia of the Jaliszu, granddaughter of Jos, and daughter of Bael who was misfortunate enough to kill our missing King's elder brother, seventeen years ago. Do you begin to see? I and my brother were left alive only because my grandfather was a hero of the wars. Our properties were confiscated by the Throne. We are Jeszniy, who bite the hand that feeds them. Do you begin to see?
It is only on the Duke Raul's sponsorship I dare set foot in the palace. His money keeps my grandfather fed, keeps Armand alive, his favor allows me to seek a husband of the old bloods. He has done all of this from no obligation, and my only payment are my eyes and ears. People do not notice me. I watch, I overhear, and I _know_.
Do you still doubt my Duke, friend?
[pause for breath]
I doubt very much I could kill you. My hands are not as strong as others'. Why? Is there someone you want dead?

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
My, so serious! Do you do anything just for fun, for pleasure?

I don't suppose you could help me with this cuff... right there, the stitches have come undone. [reaches for her hand]

Do you love anyone?

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited September 04, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

[From a sudden position on the far side of the room]
...I confess I am at a loss, but you must admit it is an exceeding odd question to ask a lady....rather like Duke Raul would...ask...
[pause]
I am not sure why you have chosen to turn the conversation this particular way. Is there a reason for your interest? Oh, forgive me --do allow me to help you with that sleeve. Such fine weaving!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.