Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Cpl Michael Carlson

Author Topic: Cpl Michael Carlson
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don’t know why I have to do this.

I know... You are going to say something about Security Forces Standard Procedure for these types of incidents. Or, psychological evaluations are required for all Security Forces officer involved shootings. Blah, Blah, Blah.

I just don’t see the point in having a bunch of “Doctors” sit around asking me questions about a situation you will likely never be in, so you can assess if I am “normal” enough to return to work. I mean, how many of you have even shot an L-Pistol in aggression, let alone kill a man? Add to that it was my best friend and partner, and I think a few nightmares are a normal reaction.

I just want to get back to work. I know I got to wait for a new partner, but I am sure they are waiting for your evaluation on that.

Anyway, I understand you plan to ask me a few questions about all types of situations, not just the incident I am being evaluated for. So let me give you the formal information you need and we can get on with this.

Name: Michael Carlson
Division: Protective Services

So, fire away. (Perhaps not the best phrase to use considering why I am here.)

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Corporal if you want to get this over with, the three most obvious questions would be, in your own words, why did you shot your partner?

Second, after you fully answer the first one is what type of nightmares and how many?

Third, even though this one seems very basic but you can think of it a way to explain things to people who have never fired in L-gun in aggression even though you might be surpriosed. What does a L-gun do to someone? Again in your own words, not what the training manual says.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

I will start with the easier question to answer. L-Pistol is just short hand for Laser Pistol, though it actually shoots a bolt of plasma. Not sure why they call it a Laser, but then again Science Fiction had promised Laser weapons for so many years. L-pistols are not really all that different from projectile weapons, only rather then bullets and magazines they shoot plasma and have battery clips. L weapons are standard issue to all Earth Military Personnel, though Security Forces is the only branch that carries one at all times.

Well, what does it do to a person, well frankly it is a deadly weapon so it tends to cause great bodily injury or death. Its the last resort. In the case of my old partner, it really did neither. He survived, though I prefer to think he is dead. Instead he is locked away in New Alcatraz. How he escaped the needle, is beyond me. I suppose the system still fails, sometimes.

Why did I shoot him? Well the report was written in my own words, so surely you must know exactly the events that happened. Or at least what Security Forces and the Navy have authorized you to know.
But if you want to know why, the answer is simple: I shot my old partner because I feared for my life when he began shooting at me.

The nightmares. I knew I would have to explain these, though I would rather not. Most of those are just reliving the events of the incident. But, usually I don't get back in time and the Captain is dead. In one my old partner shot and killed me. In another no matter how much I fired, I could not seem to hit him. They are not every night anymore. In fact, they are getting sporadic.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

As my colleague implied here the purpose of this isn't to see what you think we know or don't know. We want to see and hear you describe what happened. If it would help to have you think we are a bunch of nattering nabobs of ignorance go ahead but answer our questions clearly.

Why would your partner want to kill you? And what happened to the Captain?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

The reason why would be something he only knows. However I am not sure he wanted to kill me. It was just the fact that I came back earlier than he anticipated.

The Captain was found badly injured in an attempt to extract command codes and other information.

I am sure understand I mean no disrespect to Doctors of any nature. This was a trying event that involved constant recounting for The courts, Admirals, Generals, and Politicians. Also, much of it has now been restricted, even to Doctors.

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m so sorry to put you through this all again, but we do have the necessary security clearance. They would not have assigned us to your case otherwise. Feel free to check with whomever you need to, but then you really do need to walk through this just one more time, with us.

The more clearly you answer each question, the sooner we’ll be done, and have you on your way.

Now, what happened? Please start at the beginning, and walk us through each decision and each assumption.

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

Yea, I know you have the clearance needed. This is just something I am sick of dealing with. It seems to me it would be easier to forget it ever happened then to keep rehashing the events.

So no more stonewalling to avoid this. Then, perhaps we can get on with more questions. Fair?

Okay. So here we go. (Heavy Sigh)

As you know I work the graveyard shift Protection Services. It was about 0300 standard hours when he and I needed more coffee. I got up and offered to go down to one of the ship stores and get more. I left the Captain's quarters and went down to get some. About halfway there I realized I left my payroll card back on post. I went back and tried to open the door. It was locked. My command code did not unlock it. I radioed inside but he did not answer. I radioed Australia Control and the overrode the lock. As soon as the door open, I took fire. I radioed Australia Control with the situation and they sent backup. I returned fire with a then unknown suspect behind the sofa area. As backup arrived, we moved into the room as the suspect was reloading. That was when I discovered our suspect was my partner.

My duty is to the Captain so I went to her room as the others restrained my partner. I found the Captain with an elctro-knife in her right hip. There were signs she had been beaten and strangled. Fortunately she has recovered.

As for my thoughts on the issues. I really don't know. I have worked with him for over six years, four on patrol and two with Protective Services. He was my best friend. There was never even the slightest hint he had any problem with the Captain or her issues. Official reports said he wanted some access codes, but that seems like a stretch. He has not said a word about any of it no matter how much approved force is used. Like I said, he should have got the needle, but he didn't.

(Long Silence)

So now that you know what happened, out of my own mouth, what else do you want to know about me?

btharvey
Member # 9497

- posted      Profile for btharvey   Email btharvey         Edit/Delete Post 
Then please let us ask you this, Corporal: were you aware that the Captain has regained consciousness, and that she has identified you as instigating the assault? And that your ... fingerprints ... are on the electro-knife?
Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.