Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Stone

Author Topic: Stone
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is really Heather Granite. They call me Stone even though I'm not sure why.

I'm in my twenties and I help people who have problems with things that go bump in the night. I can do that because I was born with certain abilities. I'm stronger than normal, can ran faster, hardly ever sick. I can see magic. I believe all this comes from my genes even though neither my parents or grandparents could do any thing special.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Stone,

I confess that I am really curious about such an unusual nickname. It seems like it should have a good story to go with it.

As to your profession (hobby?), how did you happen into that line of work? When did you first discover that you are strong, fast, etc.? And how are you sure that your parents/grandparents couldn’t do anything “special”?

Is there anything else that you want us to know about who you are? Or do you define yourself by your “abilities”?

What is your favorite “case” that you have worked so far? The hardest? Do you have a working relationship with the authorities?

Do you have any friends that know about your abilities? Does your family know?

Inquiring minds want to know…

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

As I said I'm not sure how I got the nickname.

My official profession is PI but that is mostly just a technically so I can legally carry a gun and I can use it a reason to be in certain places. I do this because I want to help people (Me here but that is part of the story later on) and I can help.

I have always been strong and fast, even as I mature I am developing a couple of new tricks; being able to produce a shield, and I can shot, what you might call bolts, out of my hand. Both seem to be powered by my life force and they take a lot out of me. Obviously I haven't used them too much but I am afraid I could kill myself one day by using too much life force. The fear isn't logical but it's there anyway. (Me again, later she will develop one more, maybe two, that is easier on her.)

And yes my family knows. I think that is one reason my parents, who are both now dead, were cold toward me, they didn't understand my abilities and may have thought they were caused be witchcraft or demonic. My older brother and sister both didn't mind so much because I was able to help them with homework and projects.

My favorite case? I can't say yet. My hardest was the one that got me kicked out of LA (Me again but again more of that is revealed later in the novel)

None of the friends I have now do not know even though some of them probably suspect something. I don't have many close friends, maybe one or two at the most.

I know my parents didn't have any special abilities because I lived with them for 18 years. And I know how they reacted to mine. I knew my grandparents too even though I saw them only every so often. And no one ever mentioned any abilities.

I am developing relationships with the police, there is one, I saved him from a hellcat, who will become my friend and another one who is almost a friend. The top police know about the paranorms that show up at times and the few paranorms that actually live here. They have two units who are suppose to deal with them but the units are secret, only a few officers know of them. Most of the public are ignorant of the paranorms, those that have seen one or two convince themselves they saw something else.

Pardon me but someone just called I may need to go help someone.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As I said I'm not sure how I got the nickname.
I'd point out the obvious, Rocky, but let's just say it looks like you may have a blind spot in your view of the world that you're unaware of.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Me here but Robert are you saying her nickname should be Rocky? Or That Rocky -from the movie I assume- had the same problem? Or something I'm missing?

But in either case her name does play into the story line. And there really is a reason she is called Stone, it's just that at this point she doesn't know it.

angel011
Member # 9765

- posted      Profile for angel011   Email angel011         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Stone, how about your love life (sorry about such a private question)?

Is there a special someone in your life?

When was the first time you fell in love? What was he like?

Did your superstrength and other abilities cause you problems in love relationships (if you ever were in a love relationship)?

Oh, and do you have any pets? Generally speaking, do you get well with animals? How do they react to you, do they sense something?

Posts: 62 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

(Me here Hadn't thought of the animals question or if she had a past love, the current love interest answer may change in this book, I haven't decided for sure, there might be two guys she starts to like. We meet both in the first two chapters.)

First the easy question:

Animals tend to like me unless they are demon possessed. I can usually calm normal animals down if they are just angry or mean. Most paranorm beasts want to fight.

Now the hard one:

There is no one I'm dating at the moment. Come to think of it I haven't dated much. Guys are easily attracted to me because of my looks which is one reason I try to hide what I look like.

Oop, more later, I just sensed a paranorm come into our world. They have been doing that way too much lately. I'm going to have to find the reason.

I'm back, that one wasn't difficult.

Now where was I?

I dated only a little in high school. At the beginning of my junior year my follow students found out about my strength and toughness. They started calling me either Slayer or Supergirl, a few called my goddess. I don't why they used the name Slayer, at that time I hadn't even seen a vampire much less killed one. Most boys were afraid of me but the captain of the football team and the top wrestler made a bet to see who could have sex with the goddess first. I figured out what they wanted real fast.

There was one boy I liked who was afraid, we dated a few times over a year but it never got serious. he was a year older so he graduated and went off to collage. Once he came back and took me to see the ocean for the day. That was a very nice day, we walked the beach barefoot, he kissed me and we talked all the way back home. But even though we exchanged letters after that the relationship didn't go anywhere. I heard he got married a few years ago.

Now, I'm too busy to look for someone and none of the guys I know are my type. Some still want just one thing, others are married, a little crazy, or involved with things I don't want to be involved with.

[ March 10, 2012, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I would've thought it was suggested by your last name...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

That is why I don't mean the nickname but the people who used it first seemed to have a reason.
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
LD, have you read the Allie Beckstrom series, a current ongoing UF series? It sounds remarkably similar to the PI and police relationship that you have described. There is also a character named Stone in the series, of course he is a gargoyle… but anyway. It just seemed to me that if you get this finished and published (as we all aspire to do [Wink] ), then there will be inevitable comparisons. I just thought that you might want to check it out to be aware, and it’s quite enjoyable too. [Smile]

-JK

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, the only not-a-surname person I can think of named "Stone" is Stone Phillips---but, for the life of me, I don't know whether it's a name, assumed-in-later-life name, or nickname. (I know of lots with "Rock" or "Rocky" or somesuch.)
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Josephine

I don't think I know that one but the gargoyle sounds familiar.

But that type of MC-cop relationship gets around in UF. [Smile] There might be comparisons made with a couple of UF books. The one I think is closest is by Margaret Ronald, The Hound or Genevieve Scelan series. And there's another one by Lyn Benedict that has certain similarities too except for the Officers.

In either case I don't think I would mind all that much-- depending on the series and how the comparisons were made.

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

Here are some links for the Allie Beckstrom series by Devon Monk:

Amazon

Fantastic Fiction

I feel fortunate that I picked up on this series when it only had three books, because she’s been publishing them ever since at a rate of two a year. We’re up to… well let’s see. <checking> Number 8 comes out in April! It’s a great ongoing serial, not epic, but really fun UF. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. [Wink]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Thanks for the links. I have seen the books even though I haven't read any. Some I've looked at two or three times trying to decide if I should buy one.

I may misremember but aren't they romance related? Sounded like they could be from the blurb. If I recall these correctly.

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

Uh, there is a love interest, but it's no more Romance than say, the Sword of Truth series. Of course I may be missing what defines something as Romance, having never read in that genre.

I like stories that have relationships in them, I just don't care for stories that are about relationships. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.