Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » The Sumerian

Author Topic: The Sumerian
Jed Anderson
Member # 9863

- posted      Profile for Jed Anderson   Email Jed Anderson         Edit/Delete Post 
I am called the Sumerian. I have been called many names, but the Sumerian is the title I have chosen to keep. For over seven thousand years I have lived. Since Man first began to learn about itself. I was born in a time when Atlantis was not yet a place of legend and when dragons still travelled the land, and I am the last of the Immortals that were created in that millennia.
I cannot die. I do not burn, I found that out when I was fifty-one. I feel the heat and the pain, but I do not burn. My bones break, but heal within minutes. When I was in Egypt four thousand years ago, I fell and should have been paralyzed, but I was called a sorcerer when I stood up after a few minutes and walked away. Being an Immortal is not as fun as most would like to believe. In seven thousand years, I have buried twenty-one wives, ninety-four children and hundreds of grandchildren.
I am cursed.
It is because of what I interfered with when I was thirty-five. I do not remember much of that time in my life, but I can remember that. And the pain that followed.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, you have answered some of my question already but the most obvious is what is a Sumerian and why do you like it?

Where you an Immortal before you were cursed or is that how you were made Immortal?

Oh yes, how do you spend your time now?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you actually from Sumer and is that why you chose to keep it? If you're not, where are you from, and why choose the Sumerian?

And, I'll also ask the obvious: What did you interfere with?

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you still think of yourself as the same person you were when you were thirty-five?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mayflower988
Member # 9858

- posted      Profile for mayflower988   Email mayflower988         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are the last of the Immortals, what happened to the other ones? I'm assuming they didn't die, since they're immortal.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jed Anderson
Member # 9863

- posted      Profile for Jed Anderson   Email Jed Anderson         Edit/Delete Post 
@LD: I keep the title because that is where I was born. I am an Immortal because I am cursed. Up until about 2000 years ago, I helped fight "evil forces," until I was banished to the Nethers.

@Grumpy: I am from Sumer. I interfered with Lucifer stealing my soul.

@Robert: After 7000 years who would be the same person?

@May: There are more Immortals, but I am by far the oldest. You become an Immortal by losing part of your soul. Some pledge theirs to angels or demons. Once you claim that part of your soul back and it becomes whole, you are no longer immortal. So, actually yes, they did die.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After 7000 years who would be the same person?
Then you had better find out why it does matter what happened when you were thirty-five...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jed Anderson
Member # 9863

To me it matters a great deal Robert. I watched Lucifer literally suck the soul and life from my wife. I then felt so much pain when he tried to steal mine. The only reason I survived was because I surprised him with an attack using my will(which is something I had no idea about at the time.)
The importance of it is that Lucifer is the only way I can die now. I have to some how get that piece of my soul back from him, which is near impossible since he is imprisoned in a Pit that I can't get to.
But to answer your first question more clearly: I am not the same person I was when I first became an Immortal at 35. I have seen, learned, and done too much to not have changed.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

If it matters to you, it would suggest you are the same person.

And a lot depends on what you're doing right now, too.

Jed Anderson
Member # 9863

Mostly spending the vast amount of my time in exile drinking.
Jed Anderson
Member # 9863

and avoiding a warlock who i managed to piss off by accidently sleeping with his wife.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So what is it you want out of life---that is, other than doing something about the warlock?
Jed Anderson
Member # 9863

Death. Thats the bottom line. I want my immortality to end. I am tired of life.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
So the difficulty here is getting to that pit to get that piece of your soul back.

Are you sure you can get it back if you are face to face with Lucifer?

One more thing, I seem to be ignorant of, or just plan forgotten about Sumer. Could you explain?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Death is a poor choice for what you want out of life. And would the Son of the Morning Star accomodate you?
Jed Anderson
Member # 9863

When you continually outlive everyone you ever come to care about, the loneliness becomes unbearable. There are no questions that you can ask yourself to help ease the pain. There is no question of "Why not me?" because you already know the answers. After 7000 years of pain and death, my death is the only thing that can end it.

The Morning Star is imprisoned in the pit on a world that acts as a prison for all the other creatures that are to powerful to be fully destroyed. The only way to get to it is the Gate. The Gate is on Earth, and since I have been banished to the Nethers, I cant really get to it.

But if when I do finally get to be face to face with him, I do know how to get my soul back.

Catherine Collingwood
Member # 10025

- posted      Profile for Catherine Collingwood           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever met anyone else like you? Was that a good or a bad thing when it happened?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.