Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Hazel from "I, a Twelve Year Old Killer"

Author Topic: Hazel from "I, a Twelve Year Old Killer"
Leona12
Member # 10106

- posted      Profile for Leona12           Edit/Delete Post 
Hazel has brown slightly frizzy hair to just about her shoulders. Her eyes are brown and she's rather short. She's kind of antisocial. Her father is dead, her mother acts brainless from grief, and she's an only child. She handles everything money wise.

Hazel is the main character of the book, and is suspected for the mass murder of her fellow students at school. Later on in the book, she kills a girl named Amber who is friends with her rival Sarah, who is also trying to solve the mystery and suspects Hazel. Hazel also has a crush on James, who Sarah also likes.

"Um, hey. I was just on my way to organize the shelves down at the local Walmart. Hmm? Questions? I guess I can answer some, but you'll have to walk with me."

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Will Hazel be telling the story herself in first person? Or will her story be told by some other character, say, her rival Sarah, or a police detective? Or will it all be told in third person by an anonymous narrator / witness?

Also, I note she's suspected of mass murder, but does kill someone---which would add to the suspected part...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leona12
Member # 10106

Hazel will be telling the story. And (spoiler alert) killing Amber is an accident.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume the police will be involved in this...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leona12
Member # 10106

Yes indeed,
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I see. Well, Hazel will have to work her way through it all---providing an answer to the mass-murder question, too---and, from what I read here, she will have to find herself along the way. Sometimes the most important question a character can answer is "Who am I?"
Leona12
Member # 10106

Yup. I'm still unsure of how she'll turn out myself. Still working on character development. (BTW, Orson Scott Card wrote a great writing book called Characters and Viewpoint. If you haven't read it already, you should.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.