FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » help: need new books

Author Topic: help: need new books
Frank
Member # 9333

- posted      Profile for Frank   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, rather than sifting through the mass of topics i'll start a new one.

I've ran out of books to read, that is a major problem since i love reading. However i can't read any old book, it almost always has to be futuristic sci-fi (as opposed to fantasy) although i love the alvin series. Most importantly it has to debate morality, enlightenment, life - philosophy. Just to give a rough guide, my most enjoyable reads have been Speaker for the dead, the homecoming saga, the shadow saga, Iain M Bank's culture books (particularly the first one).

Anyone want to give me a list of authors/books?

Thanx!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Handmaiden's Tale by Atwood
The Giver by Lois Lowry. A fast deep read.
hmm
Others maybe later.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read any of Aasimov? Some? If only some, read the rest. Quality stuff. Zelazny and Herbert (the Dune guy. I think that's his name) are alright too, though not my favorites.

Edit: I second The Giver.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Various books by Octavia Butler, especially the Xenogenesis series...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want new books, click on the Amazon, B&N, or BookSense sites at the top of the page. Hatrack gets a kickback off of it, so it helps out Mr. Card and us.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank
Member # 9333

- posted      Profile for Frank   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
cheers for the replies! i'll click that nice ppc and get me sum new books, or atleast bookmark them til i can convince my 'rents to part with the money.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Octavia Butler or Lois McMaster Bujold*.

*I haven't read all of Bujold's stuff, but I'm going through it all right now.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Soara:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

I just read House of the Scorpion a little while ago for my lit class. It's really good. Right now we're reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's really good (I finished a while ago), definitely debates some philosophical stuff, or at least, conspicuously doesn't debate them. I think it's futuristic, but it technically takes place in the nineties, and most of the beginning stuff is actually two or three decades earlier. Also, have you read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Landy Braine
Member # 9014

- posted      Profile for Landy Braine   Email Landy Braine         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sparrow and the sequel Children of God by Mary Doria Russell...Not only did these books have science fiction, fantasy, HEART, but the author is an acomplished linguist and has included a wonderful array of languages in her writings. Not to mention a HUGE plot reveal at the end of book one...which is then expanded upon in book two. It's in my top five for sure.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.