FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Pastwatch: The Flood?

Author Topic: Pastwatch: The Flood?
tykemerry
Member # 7126

- posted      Profile for tykemerry   Email tykemerry         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a frequent lurker on this forum, but perhaps I've missed this one. old un-reliable Amazon.com is selling for $57 a used hardback by Orson Scott Card titled "Pastwatch: The Flood". What's that all about? They also list something called "An Open Book" which is supposed to come out in January. Does anyone know what these books are?

Looking forward to Shadow of the Giant, but not the $150 leatherbound version.

Thanks and cheers.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
This Link tells you about Open Book.

I have never heard of Pastwatch: the Flood only of Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Pastwatch: The Flood doesn't exist. At least not yet -- some of us are still hoping.

An Open Book came out last year -- available through the Hatrack River Store.

Welcome to Hatrack.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tykemerry
Member # 7126

- posted      Profile for tykemerry   Email tykemerry         Edit/Delete Post 
So does that mean that the thing posted on Amazon.com is a fraud? It is supposedly a used book sold by one of Amazon.com's affiliates. Wonder if there's something strange going on there. HMMMM.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose is usually up-to-date about Card publishing, so I believe him. But there are several links on amazon.co.uk.
I smell a scam...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/0312858450/all/202-4590193-7297405
quote:
Pastwatch: The Flood
Orson Scott Card

Edition: Paperback
Product Details:
Paperback
Publisher: Tom Doherty Assoc Llc
ISBN: 0812551540
Other Editions: Hardcover
Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 673,647

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812551540/202-4590193-7297405#product-details

If anyone knows how to check "ISBN: 0812551540 " that would clear it up.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Googling the ISBN shows two things. It's actually the ISBN of Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus (publication date, 1998?96?); and multiple sites (like this one) list it as the ISBN of the (nonexistent, as far as I know) Pastwatch: The Flood (publication date January 1, 1996).

However, looking at the image of the book shown on the site I linked to above, it is clearly Redemption.

And this site shows four different ISBNs (one for the paperback) . . . ah, ok they are for different editions, looks like.

Very odd.

[ December 14, 2004, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Thanks, Rivka. E-mail me sometime and/or I will e-mail you. It's been too long.
The thing is, on the amazon.uk sites it's going for about 90 pounds used. That seems like a lot. I can think of 3 possibilites:
1)scam
2)UK title change or rare advance copies with alternate titles later changed
3)alternate history change has occured, just like in the novel--this is the only evidence remaining in our universe [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
3)alternate history change has occurred, just like in the novel--this is the only evidence remaining in our universe
[Eek!] [Angst]

There is another possibility. Error. And all it takes is one person who links the (wrong) title and the ISBN -- future people listing just the ISBN on some booksellers will find they are assigned the wrong title for their listing.

(Yeah, go ahead and email me. It's been ages! I'll try to remember to email you, but since I'm about to head out, and am likely to forget later . . .)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I remember right..

a few months ago, when Amazon was getting ready for the coming Shadow of the Giant pre-order page, they set up a 'template" page of sorts, which although it said "Shadow of the Giant" it pointed to an ISBN number for one of OSC's other books (Ender's, if I remember right), and then they just "updated" with new information once they actually had a release date and ISBN number for the new book and could start taking orders.

I'm guessing, as a tech person, someone is just getting the template set up for upcoming books, and using an old template (to Redemption) in order to do that.

Farmgirl

to clarify: if they are using an old ISBN number to set up the template, it will automatically link to any used books with that ISBN...

[ December 15, 2004, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta just be an error -- because as far as anybody at this house knows, it hasn't been written yet. But Scott always says if someone finds a copy of a book he hasn't written yet, please send it to us -- that would make it so much easier!
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the "alternate history/universe" theory.
It's just more fun than the rational explanations.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If I find one, I'll glady send it along, but I'm reading it first.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
But Scott always says if someone finds a copy of a book he hasn't written yet, please send it to us -- that would make it so much easier!
Pfft. If I ever buy any book for 90 pounds (what is that currently, about $150?), Scott is not gettin' it for free. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.