FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » If Orson Changed His Voice... (A fun thread)

Author Topic: If Orson Changed His Voice... (A fun thread)
Von
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Von   Email Von         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson as Dr. Seuss: "Would you like an Ender Wiggen even if he blows a bugger? What if Wiggen was a third? What if Wiggen saved a herd?
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not post that here?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
So many delicious rhymes with "third."

Stilson mocked him as a third.
Wiggin squished him like a turd.
Bean by size was undeterred
And flew through battle like a bird.
Wiggin slew the bugger herd
But when he realized he had erred
Then by his conscience he was spurred
To give the last of them his word.
She by Wiggin was chauffered
As through the hundred worlds they whirred,
And when three thousand years had blurred
And Wiggin's honor had been slurred,
In Lusitania's soil she stirred.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hookedonpepsi22
Member # 7346

- posted      Profile for hookedonpepsi22   Email hookedonpepsi22         Edit/Delete Post 
That was awesome. I dont see how someone can do that.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that's pretty impressive... but I think erred has a different sound from the rest, at least the way that I've always heard it pronounced. [Taunt]
Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two pronunciations of "err": one, two. I believe OSC is using the second.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

You've always heard it pronounced "wrong." Err rhymes with her and blur. BUT most people say it as if it rhymed with air. Therefore that is becoming the new standard pronunciation, and eventually the old correct one will become archaic and fade away. For now, though, it still rhymes with fur, at least when I say it, and I use it accordingly.

Remember, when Alexander Pope was alive, oil and toil still rhymed with isle and tile. These things change over time.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 8166

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
And why was Bean under turd? He was never that small.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he did live in a toilet for a while...
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun with a rhyming dictionary.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

I tried to use a rhyming dictionary for this one, but it was useless; the online rhymer I've been using doesn't distinguish between stressed and unstressed syllables. In English prosody, "wintered" does not rhyme with "bird" because bird is stressed and the "tered" in "wintered" is unstressed. You can only properly rhyme stressed syllables.

Does anyone know of an online rhyming dictionary that handles this properly?

Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I wish I did, just so I could say, "I once answered a question for Mr. Card!"
(Helpfully, of course.) :-)

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
I tried to use a rhyming dictionary for this one, but it was useless; the online rhymer I've been using doesn't distinguish between stressed and unstressed syllables.

Well, then, I stand corrected. You are quite the wordsmith, sir! Hats off to you! [Hat]
You may just have what it takes to turn pro. If I were your high school guidance counselor, I might suggest a career in writing.

Fun playing with your vocabulary! [Big Grin]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
I tried to use a rhyming dictionary for this one, but it was useless; the online rhymer I've been using doesn't distinguish between stressed and unstressed syllables. In English prosody, "wintered" does not rhyme with "bird" because bird is stressed and the "tered" in "wintered" is unstressed. You can only properly rhyme stressed syllables.

Well, I just use www.rhymer.com for anything I need a rhyme for. Depending upon which "rhyme type" you select, you can make "bird" rhyme with "wintered" (by choosing 'end rhyme'). Other choices include making the last two syllables rhyme, IE: "Splintered" and "Wintered," or even making the starting sounds rhyme, like "Wintered" and "which." By using the "last syllable rhymes," you can exclude words like bird and leave a much shorter list. This may be the style that you are looking for. Hope I helped, if this isn't the rhyming dictionary that you aren't already using.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Rhymer was the one I was using. Can you combine controls somehow to keep word and deterred but eliminate wintered?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
http://www.rhymezone.com is the best I know of. If you know a better one - tell me. I sometimes have to scan them, though I feel it's unorthodox (poetically)...
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
oh come on - am I the only one who was puerile enough to giggle at "turd"??

I KNOW I'm not alone...

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

Puerile... haha hooray for my Latin class, I understand that word. =)
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Stulte! Quid est <the connection>?
sands
Member # 8344

- posted      Profile for sands   Email sands         Edit/Delete Post 
now that you mention it i figured out what puerile means too.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
You are.

You're the youngling - you should have giggled long before I did!

[Wink]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

When I first encountered puerile (in writing) I assumed it was pronounced "PWAIR-uhl," which is way closer to the original Latin than the "correct" pronunciation "PEW-ruhl."
therealdrag0
Member # 9137

- posted      Profile for therealdrag0   Email therealdrag0         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you Tried http://rhyme.poetry.com/ ?

I prefer to pronounce it pyr-eye-l

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.