FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Pretty Boy -- When?

Author Topic: Pretty Boy -- When?
Dentarthurdent
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for Dentarthurdent   Email Dentarthurdent         Edit/Delete Post 
For OSC or members of IGMS -- does anyone know when "Pretty Boy," the next Enderverse story, will be availible? Enjoyed "Mazer in Prison," but I need another Enderfix.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I know the whole story, but I have to put all my energy and concentration into the Ender's Game screenplay. In fact, Ender is calling me right now to get back to work and stop hanging out on line.

But Pretty Boy will be Very Soon Now, since I'm more than half done with the screenplay.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

- posted      Profile for lisha_rose   Email lisha_rose         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] YAYAYAYAYAY way to go OSC!!!!!!!!
Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
More than half done with the screenplay! Wow, i almost have to change my pants now. and i can't wait for Pretty Boy either.

Edit: do i mean "either" or "too"? hmm...

[ March 24, 2006, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dentarthurdent
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for Dentarthurdent   Email Dentarthurdent         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet =)
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you find Mazer in Prison as well?
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Creator Aleks
Member # 9134

- posted      Profile for Creator Aleks   Email Creator Aleks         Edit/Delete Post 
From the Intergalatic Medecine Show. Banner on top of every page here.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
"Pretty Boy"???

Is that the same book as in the "New Ender novel decided on"- thread? Well, I think I would have given up to find a book title with "Ender" in it, too. [Smile]
Fortunately, at least the cover of the book will very likely show that this is SciFi... Could be a little bit embarrassing to read a novel with the title "Pretty Boy" in the breaks between lectures, if the cover looked romantic or something. [Wink]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's not a book. It will be, apparently, a short story in the latest edition of OSC's IGMS. (Like how the last edition had "Mazer in Prison.")
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah... Okay. [Smile]
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePersonMan
Member # 9440

- posted      Profile for ThePersonMan           Edit/Delete Post 
When Pretty Boy is finally released, do you think they will do an audio book, like with Mazer in Prison, by Audio Renaissance?
Posts: 53 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
everything waits for the Ender's Game script, which has to be the highest priority no matter what. Almost done.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to pay for the entire magazine just to get to read a short story.

I can't wait for the movie, though.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePersonMan
Member # 9440

quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
I know the whole story, but I have to put all my energy and concentration into the Ender's Game screenplay. In fact, Ender is calling me right now to get back to work and stop hanging out on line.

But Pretty Boy will be Very Soon Now, since I'm more than half done with the screenplay.

OSC, I know you have to finish the script for the Ender's Game movie, but you said you know the story for Pretty Boy, so I was wondering if you also have plans wor other short stories for IGMS already formulated.
Posts: 53 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:

It's $2.50 for the magazine, how much were you hoping to pay? Besides there are several other short stories that are very good as well. I'd say it is well worth such a small amount.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be getting IGMS for my birthday, I hope. It is kind of too bad that it won't ever be available to check out from a library. Maybe. My library in Utah was venturing into e-books when I left.

P.S. I am very excited to hear that something is happening with the screenplay. [Smile]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macnewbold
Member # 7660

- posted      Profile for macnewbold   Email macnewbold         Edit/Delete Post 
IGMS is well worth the $2.50, even if you only buy it for the Enderverse story that is in each issue.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:

It's $2.50 for the magazine, how much were you hoping to pay? Besides there are several other short stories that are very good as well. I'd say it is well worth such a small amount.
I agree. Besides, I paid about $12 for First Meetings, $3 per short story (versus IGMS's $2.50). I'd call IGMS a pretty good deal. Especially getting other OSC works like The Yazoo Queen, Middle Woman, and Hot Sleep. And the audio version of Mazer in Prison in the October issue was spectacular.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
IGMS is an excellent deal. The other stories are terrific. I mean no disrespect whatsoever to our host when I say this, but, while I voraciously gobble down the OSC content in IGMS, it is not for that content that I bought the first two issues. While the issues don't seem to be as big as those of other magazines, I find that IGMS has far better fiction-writing and stories in it.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Icarus. I have been reading The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, and I prefer nearly all the stories I read in IGMS. There were just 2 stories I didn't like in IGMS. But one of my favorites is "I am the Queen".
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, Yazoo Queen. What about the other Alvin Maker story. Was it Walking Man?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, I don't personally have any method of paying online.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

The other story was called Grinning Man.
Where and when was Hot Sleep first published? It's not in Maps in a Mirror.

ThePersonMan
Member # 9440

quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card (on May 25, 2006):
I apologize for how late the story is for issue 2, but I had to give the screenplay the first priority. I just finished the first draft, so I hope to have the story done pronto.

I there any progress on the story? Do you have an expected Release date?
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Sleep isn't just a short story. It's a complete novel. It was first published in 1979, Card's first sci-fi novel. It's a lot of the same story as The Worthing Chronicle, which Card felt "replaced" it, and Hot Sleep went out of print. But he's made the whole thing available again in the first issue of IGMS.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty Boy -- out today.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
*applause*
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.