FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » FAQ's for newcomers (Page 0)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: FAQ's for newcomers
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So a meme is like a top rated baby name? I'm obsessed with this because we've just gone through the process of knowingly bestowing on our latest arrival the #1 girl's name, Hannah. It's interesting to look over the baby names and see how they amass and then peak out, becoming cliche.

There are two good things about the name: Hannah hannah bo banna banana fo fana me my mo mannah- Hannah, and that Hannah was a really cool bible character. I just feel bad that in 15 years there's going to be recording artists and other unsavory (or is it savory that is the problem) types named Hannah. I think it will be healthy to raise our child with the idea of being "The Hannah" by which all other Hannahs are measured. Whaddya think?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Ech.

Deirdre would like Morbo to know that if Morbo turns out to be some newbie that just started posting recently, when Deirdre wasn't around, Deirdre will be very displeased.

One last guess, and then I'm done.

Aspectre.

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
No to all
Please post any Morbo guesses to Morbo Unmasked thread...
Morbo doesn't wish to tax antiquated human hardware with an infectious "Morbo" meme... The "meme" meme is already pushing the envelope [Smile]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I have a dumb question: What is AIM? I also don't know much about ICQ
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Aol Instant Messaging---available to non-Aol members as well [Smile]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Download here for free.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I guess a new thing is that we now have A room for those who need it. Also a place for smilie catharsis . And (( )) means "hugs"
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
<---- feels like a newbie all over again.

Oh my goodness this thread was started when Ethics Gradient was a newbie!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread was in its first iteration when I was a noobie, way back 3 years ago. My first post ever was in a thread that twinky started about Radiohead. This thread was on the first page for a very long time back then. For a long time I thought this thread was required to be visible at all times. It should be, IMO. Keep those noobs in line.

Ah, those were the days....

Edit: OK, so it had been bumped a few times.

[ December 01, 2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*reads third post in thread*

Oh my goodness. [Razz]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I had no idea this thread was still around.

Edit: I just re-read the whole thread.

Emily, I remember meeting you at Endercon, I even have a picture of you. [Smile] [Wave]

[ December 02, 2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is like an archaelogical dig site; a cliff that has recently collapsed, revealing the ancient striped layers of an ancient city. All the archaeoogists come along with their brushes and little trowels and examine it saying, "Yes, this is when homosexuality was the biggest issue." etc.

I like it. [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's never happened on hatrack that anyone would come here and be consistently offensive and boorish.
Wow, that was a long time ago! [ROFL]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, Teshi. Fascinating reading -- not so much for content as context.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Milner
Member # 672

- posted      Profile for Emily Milner   Email Emily Milner         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that this thread is still alive! It tickles me whenever I see it still there. Thank you to everyone (cowboyfeng1, jrC) who wished me and my baby well. She is beautiful, now almost four months old. Norah Linnette, after my mom and my husband's grandma. I like to use family names, if I can find ones that I like. She also sleeps very well, so I'm happy about that.

Thank you to Morbo for the enlightening definition of "meme." I have one more question: how do you pronounce it? Is it "meem" or "meemee?"

Hi back, Ela!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Emily

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Emily! It's pronounced "meem", and is a take off on the word "gene". It's meant to be similar to it, I mean, only in idea space.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Milner
Member # 672

- posted      Profile for Emily Milner   Email Emily Milner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Anne Kate! I hate knowing what a word means but not knowing how to pronounce it... and hello!
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Bump
Wow, I can't believe the JHO/Jake Lloyd question has been dead for a full four years.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an enormous amount of fun with this thread, back when it was new. It's funny to read over it and realize that I've had three different jobs since then.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Big Grin]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, did you see the question I asked you in Syn's headache thread the other day CT?
Noemon
Member # 1115

Remember Rook? He's an AWOL Hatracker who I'd love to see return. MOTO too.
Noemon
Member # 1115

[ROFL]

Off to check the thread...

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hm. Cheshire Kitty? I don't remember that one (and if it's a joking reference of some sort, and I'm about halfway convinced that it is for some undefinable reason, I don't get it).

Yeah, I miss AndrewR too. Am I right in remembering that he kind of flickered in and out for a bit sometime relatively recently?

I still miss dean and moonflower too. I wonder how they're doing?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
According to search -- Cheshire Kitty was member #5033, and quit posting around April of 2003.

There is probably lots of cool people that used to post here that I never got the opportunity to meet.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually glad that the population here is smallish. Some sights with many thousands of posters never get the depth of discussion or intimacy that we can get here.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, Telp was pretty much an old-timer from the word "go". Sndrake, though, was an old timer from the phoneme "g"--I've rarely seen someone on here that fit so perfectly. It was kind of like there was this sndrake shaped hole in hatrack whose existance I wasn't aware of until he filled it.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Farmgirl is another one who felt like she'd always been here almost from her first post.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Three cheers for CT!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Frangy!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
One more piece of friendly advice:

Saying something rude and then adding a [Wink] afterward helps, but it's still rude. Instead of trying to negate what you just said, say what you mean in a more polite manner in the first place.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

::bump::

It'd be a shame if this thread were to get deleted.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time I've ever seen this thread.

Hello, thread! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I have fond memories of this thread.
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
It never fails that someone who's been around longer than a year has missed this.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It'd be a shame if this thread were to get deleted.
Noemon, you posted six times in a row on this page alone in this thread. It's like a Noemon storage facility, no wonder you want/need it kept [Wink] [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
What's really sad is that I hadn't even noticed that. [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] I have posted in this thread an inordinant amount, haven't I?

One of the reasons I've always been fond of this thread is because I've always felt like this was the thread in which Sara and I became friends. We'd interacted positively before this, but in my memory anyway it was here that the relationship quickened. Looking back over it, though, I notice that all of her posts have been deleted. [Frown] I expect she deleted them along with others when she left for awhile a few months back.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
*bumped for p-Thong

Noemon, I'm so sorry for the sad face. [Frown] I deleted quite a bit for personal reasons during an odd time for me. For what it's worth, I remember this thread quite fondly, as well. [Smile] I too remember this as my first time of really getting to know you, which has been one of the biggest treats ever for me online.

[ January 09, 2005, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I don't think that bump will do any good, Sara. p-Thong is clearly a troll, and quite possibly a spammer, and clearly has no interest in belonging here.

Blowing the whistle early and often is more apt to do some good.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this thread, although I don't recall seeing it until I'd been around at least 6 months or so.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it doesn't hurt anything to try...

edit: To Icarus

[ January 09, 2005, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, Icarus. But benefit-of-the-doubt, the civilizing influence of Hatrack, and the like have a special place in my breast.

And, like dkw, I've taken up tilting. [Wink]

[ January 09, 2005, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I deleted quite a bit for personal reasons during an odd time for me."

I think I finally realized why those deletions of yours bothered me so much, Sara. Remember when we saw Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind together?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Yep. I was in that frame of mind at the time.

[ January 09, 2005, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

Great movie! [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

I understand Sara, really. Honestly, I thought about deleting my posts in this thread too, way back when, because it my my first time in getting personal about myself on Hatrack, telling stories about my childhood and such, and it kind of freaked me out. So...yeah, I'm sorry that your posts are gone, but they were just artifacts of the friendship anyway, and not the friendship itself, so no harm done.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
:Bump:
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Bumpity. [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.